Property Tax Lien on Foreclosed Home

I lost a house to foreclosure in 2005. There were property taxes owed on the house at the time of foreclosure. The house has been purchased by new homeowners now. I don't think they are renting.

Since then, I noticed a property tax lien is on my credit report. I was under the impression that once a foreclosed property was purchased, the new owner was responsible for any outstanding taxes on it. Does anyone have any knowledge about how property taxes work?

By Onesummer

You need to call your tax office, good luck.

I read your post and am a bit confused as to how the property tax lien could end up on a credit report. The tax lien lacks many of the requirements to be credit reporting worthy. The main reason is that it is not a chargeable debt against you but rather the home. You most likely did not have to give your SS# in order to owe the property taxes and lastly, I do not know of any rule or law that would allow the tax collector to file any action to seize any of your other assets to pay this debt.

I would have it removed as not a valid debt against you. Tommy Tax Lien

I dont agree with a previous post. I think the tax bill is a bill YOU owed. Your HOUSE can never pay a bill. Since you were responsible for paying that bill and you didnt pay it, it should be on your credit report. A credit report is a tool that businesses use to know how trustworthy you are as to bill paying. It lets them know if you're a responsible bill payer or if you are a business risk.

Best of luck.

The delinquent taxes were paid when the house went up for sheriff's sale. The new owner does pay the taxes at that time, whether the bank bought it back or an individual person bought it. And yes, your house can pay a bill if a government lien is filed at your county courthouse. It will sit there until the house is sold and then they will get their money. The government also can and will force the sale of a house to get the taxes. Just like any other government debts and taxes owed, you'll will not get this off of your credit report until 7-10 years pass. Just like a credit card you pay late, even though you eventually paid it, it will still be listed as delinquent on your credit report.

I hate to tell you this, but any money owed to the government including property tax, income tax, student loans, etc. will be on and stay on your credit report until you pay them. They do not come off in 7 years like other debt. I know this because I used to work at TransUnion.

Budget & Finance Credit RatingDecember 14, 2009
Gifted Money
Paying Taxes on Gifted Money
Gardener trimming Hedge
How Property Laws Affect Gardeners
Creating Adequate Drainage
Creating Adequate Drainage in Your Yard