Truck Heater Problems

How do I fix a 2007 Ford Ranger heater? It has been to the shop and they said there was no problem with the heater core, but only a leak. It still does not work.

By Brenda

The key is you said it does work once in a while and you arent looking for a short or a switch problem and maybe you should. In the dash because it will work sometime and it wouldn't if the thermostat was closed. Think simple I would buy manual for the year of your truck and start reading. Being a female it was the way I had to learn how to fix my own vehicle. I think you'll find a simple small fix. Shucks guys I have fixed a radiator with a potato before.

Turn your cold to hot mixture knob back and forth and listen for it to open and/or close. Mine puts out either cold or luke warm air. I was pulling a uhaul trailer and the temp never went above low on the guage. When I stopped because I thought I was low on coolant I was able to actually remove the cap and see it was full also put my finger in coolant and it's luke warm. I've changed out the door on a ford RV that one wouldn't move so you wouldn't hear it close. I flushed my system and I will be replacing the thermostat.

February 4, 2013 Flag

I have a 1996 Ford Ranger. Recently the heat stopped working. I changed the thermostat and the heater core and still no heat, please help.

By Bob

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sorry I can't help, all I can do is sympathize. I have a 2004 Ford Explorer and the heater quit working. 3 repair shops all said it will cost $1,000 to fix it because it is so inaccessible. Something about a 'blend door'. I am so mad at Ford I will never buy another one. In the meantime I can see my icy breath in the car on a cold Oregon morning.

We bought my daughter a 1998 ford ranger. The air conditioner would not hold charge. Then the heater would blow luke warm air even after running for a long while. Since I really dont know if yours is doing this or just not working all together. It's really hard to say but, here is what we did to fix hers with her problem. It's called air door actuator.

If you are close to a napa store the part number is 655-1551 (this was for a 1998), but still might be the same. And here was the kicker; t was located inside of the glove box. Well the glove box was taken out it was in behind it. Hope this helps or it may help someone....and my husband says I shouldnt keep all those boxes of used parts...lol.

Not sure if you got it but very possible to have a trapped air bubble in your cooling system. Try inclining the front of vehichle. Take radiatior cap off then let it warm up. Watch the temperature guage. As it gets close to normal temp go back to engine and rev up to 2 to 3000 rpm and watch the fluids. Sometimes youll need to squeeze the hozes a bit and should see bubbles come up in the antifreeze. Continue untill heat works or no more bubbles.

Another possibility is you could have a bad climate control unit or bad resistor depending on vehichle. Possible something is simply un-done too.

December 6, 2011 Flag

I have checked the thermostat and the flaps. The heater hoses are hot and still the heater does not heat the cab. What could be wrong?

By Dickie G.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your heater core could be clogged. It is under your dash (usually) and looks like a little radiator. It sets in front of the blower which blows air through it into the cab. You can follow the heater hoses to it because that is where they got to and come from. You can usually tell if the heater core is clogged by holding onto a heater hose. If you can't feel the water moving (meaning it is just getting hot) then you have a clog in your heater core.

More than likely it's the heater core, mine is in the same fix. I have a Ford Ranger XLT and mine went out a couple years ago. My husband bought the core and was told the whole dashboard has to come out! He thought it came out from under the dash, but no, it didn't, what a job to do. I drove my car and he drove his truck and that's why it hasn't been fixed yet. :(

December 16, 2010 Flag

I have an 88 Ford Ranger. The heater will not get hot. I changed the heater core, thermostat, and radiator. Any thoughts?

By smooth from Memphis, TN

Answers:

Truck Heater Problems

This is a classic problem on Fords. Underneath the hood you will see a series of vacuum lines running along the edge. One or more of those lines are bad, causing the vents to not open and close when they should to release heat. Time to start checking those lines. (11/23/2010)

By jillian_marie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 21, 2010 Flag

The heater in my Ford Ranger truck stays hot. I can't turn the temperature down.

By John from Elmira, NY

Answers:

Truck Heater Problems

Have you checked your thermostat it could be stuck. I think if it's stuck open you get cold air all the time so check and see if it stuck closed. (02/26/2010)

By missbes99

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 22, 2010 Flag

I can't get heat in the cab of a 1997 Ford Ranger. The heater is hot going in, I don't know if it is a vacuum. Any ideas?

Dave from Saint Louis, Mo

Answers:

Truck Heater Problems

Many Ford Ranger heater problems can be traced to broken blend doors. The HeaterTreater kit does a complete repair on the blend door malfunction that is common to 96-2004 Ford Rangers. Every Ranger in this range either has, or will have, this common failure. The kit can be found on eBay by searching "heatertreater" (one word). (05/14/2008)

By RangerRick

Truck Heater Problems

Pull the inlet and outlet hoses off, use air to blow out the heater core backwards of the water flow. I did this after checking all the other thing mentioned in this forum. My heater now works. If its the blend door thee is a simple way to do a fix without removing the dash. heatertreater.net has instructions and the cost of the kit is about $130. (01/07/2010)

By mebrown57

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 16, 2008 Flag

Hi Everyone, I have 96 ford ranger pickup, reg cab 4 cyl, 2.2, engine with 122,000 miles runs great. but the heater keeps blowing out hot air? Thanks

Answers:

Truck Heater Problems

Sorry, but am I missing something here isn't a heater supposed to blow out hot air? Did you mean the Air Conditioning, or are you actually talking about the heater. The problem is fairly straight-forward for an ASE certified mechanic who has air conditioning training. The problem if the A.C. is what you mean; is the system is not charged or the pump is not working properly( if the engine slows down when you turn on the A.C. and seems to cycle every few minutes the pump is fine). Otherwise the A.C. system isn't fully charged with R-134A refrigerant. First of all, contact an ASE certified mechanic with A.C. training. (03/13/2005)

By A helpful guy.

Truck Heater Problems

Hi, we have the same problem with my husbands' truck, the heater blows hot air when the heater is turned off. It's not bad when it's winter, but in the summer, boy is it hot. He doesn't have air conditioning. (03/15/2005)

By RoseMry

Truck Heater Problems

I had a 97 Ford Ranger that was doing that. A friend rigged it so I could turn off the hot temperature, but I would not have vent (fresh air) and the only a/c I could get was on A/C Max! There is a small plastic part (in dash) that moves for the temp changes. That is BROKEN. Hence always heat. The part is Very expensive and time consuming if you do it yourself. Otherwise, it's even more expensive if done through a car dealer. Good Luck!! I have since gotten rid of said truck and drive a NEW suv. (03/15/2005)

By Beth

Truck Heater Problems

Check under the hood and make sure the vent to your heater core is actually closing when you operate the heater lever. (03/24/2005)

By gacitizen

Truck Heater Problems

all mechanics say it is that BROKEN plastic part that controls the air from cold to hot that necessitates removing the dash, replacing the entire heater box at a cost of about $700, typical to Explorers and Rangers. I have a 98 Ranger with same problem. (03/28/2005)

By beffland

Truck Heater Problems

THANK YOU so much for the tips. I hope to return the favor somewhere down the road. JEFF (03/30/2005)

By mrmoose71943

Truck Heater Problems

I have a 95 that has AC that seems to have the same problems. When off, it's off. When on anything but max AC it blows hot. Max AC is max AC. Am I to believe that a non fully charged R-134A system would cause this? If I went to an ASE mechanic, I wouldn't enjoy the satisfaction of fixing it myself. I think the small plastic thing is the culprit. Thanks for all help. (06/13/2005)

By Mazda B2300

Truck Heater Problems

1 have a 97 ford ranger 4.0 v6 5sp. extended cab. i have a/c heater problems. when i turn on the a/c hot air comes out. i turn the temp. control and only hot air comes out. i had it checked out by auto experts and they charged the a/c replaced the a/c drier and expans. tubeand the bill was $340. after advised that it was fixed i later notice after leaving the shop that the only a/c was on a/c max. they advised that this was normal and not to worry about it.after going on line at my wife suggestion and reading several hits i fixed it myself. simple take a piece of bailling wire "mechanic's wire" and wire the heater valve in the up position. its is located in front of the two heater hose lines.the heater hose valve operates by vacuum up position is off, that is what you want, and down position is heat on.the garage advised me that i could bring it back at my expence which might be several hundred $. lets be careful out there hourly repair rates are 80$ and up. thanks happy (09/10/2005)

By charlie.

Truck Heater Problems

Some times the ignition switch on the steering column sticks in the start position and the a/c will not operate.Think of it as if you are starting your vehicle and for that moment,(while you turn the key all the way) everything shuts off and when you feel the engine start and let go of the key, the switch springs back a little and everything comes back on. It is just the ignition switch not springing back enough. Try turning it back a little (without killing the motor) and it should work. (11/25/2007)

By ex fordwkr

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Snow Covered Truck
Troubleshooting Truck Heater Problems
Consumer Advice Cars Repair AdviceDecember 16, 2010
Man Troubleshooting a Truck That Won't Start
Troubleshooting a Truck That Won't Start
Rust and Peeling Blue Paint on Car
Removing Rust from a Car or Truck
Ford Ranger
Ford Ranger Heater Not Working
Maintaining Your Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater
🎉
🎄