Bad Jam, Need Help!

My jam did not solidify. Can I re-cook and re-can? Help!

Erika

Best Answer

Hi Erika, yes, you can redo the jam. I'm assuming that you didn't use Sure-Jell (if you did, disregard this advice). Put the jam back into your pot and recook it.....bring to a full boil and continue to boil for the number of minutes given by the recipe. Stir constantly and vigorously. Be sure that the jam comes to a full boil before starting the timing. Can as usual. Also, you may not have added enough sugar to the juice. Be sure to use a reliable recipe. Another possibility is that your fruit was so ripe that it didn't contain enough natural pectin. If that's the case, then you will need to add Sure-Jell to the juice. This happened to me once with over-ripe blackberries. Making jellies and jams the old fashioned way (without SureJell) is an art; like me, you'll screw up alot of batches until getting it right. The good news is you can use the syrup for icecream or cakes. Hang in there! Joni

Best Answer

Cook the juice until it sheets off the spoon. Also you may need to add pectin again. I have had this happen a few times and I question the pectin quality. I always use Ball pectin as it has no preservatives.

I had trouble with my current jelly...but followed the directions on the following link and it all turned out fine..good luck

http://www.ext. … foods/he172w.htm