Browsing: Fixing Runny Jam

Bad Jam, Need Help!

My jam did not solidify. Can I re-cook and re-can? Help!

Erika

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Hi Erika, yes, you can redo the jam. I'm assuming that you didn't use Sure-Jell (if you did, disregard this advice). Put the jam back into your pot and recook it.....bring to a full boil and continue to boil for the number of minutes given by the recipe. Stir constantly and vigorously. Be sure that the jam comes to a full boil before starting the timing. Can as usual. Also, you may not have added enough sugar to the juice. Be sure to use a reliable recipe. Another possibility is that your fruit was so ripe that it didn't contain enough natural pectin. If that's the case, then you will need to add Sure-Jell to the juice. This happened to me once with over-ripe blackberries. Making jellies and jams the old fashioned way (without SureJell) is an art; like me, you'll screw up alot of batches until getting it right. The good news is you can use the syrup for icecream or cakes. Hang in there! Joni

Best Answer

Cook the juice until it sheets off the spoon. Also you may need to add pectin again. I have had this happen a few times and I question the pectin quality. I always use Ball pectin as it has no preservatives.

I had trouble with my current jelly...but followed the directions on the following link and it all turned out fine..good luck

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/yf/foods/he172w.htm

Runny Jam
Fixing Runny Jam
Food and Recipes Canning Jam and JellySeptember 6, 2004
A slice of toast with grape jelly on it.
Grape Jam Recipes
Blackberry Jam Recipes, Jar of blackberry jam on a plate with fresh blackberries.
Blackberry Jam Recipes
A bowl of fig jam and some fresh figs.
Fig Jam Recipes
Sour Jam
Fixing Sour Jam
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 9:28:10 AM on 10.0.1.242 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.