Browsing: Making a Photo Plate

Transferring a Picture to a Cup or Plate

How do I transfer a photo to a plate or cup?

By Susie from Madison, AL

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

There are kits available in craft stores like Michael's, that allows you to do it. I think the dish or plate has to be made from a certain composite that will allow the heat to seal the photo on the surface. I have also seen kiosks in the local malls here that can do it. They are a bit pricey but the quality they display looks very good. Photos are crisp and not blurry.

Any company that specializes in sublimation can do this for you. Unless you decoupage the item (which then means that it cannot be used for food/drink), you will probably need to have someone with a proper heat press and sublimation equipment do it for you. This is not a process easily or cost effectively done at home.

May 29, 2011 Flag

As a memorial to my dad and mom I would like to put a photo onto a plate. How do I do this?

By Catherine

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could decopage it on, or you could check with places that print photos and see if they could do it. I know I have seen ads that these companies can put photos on mugs, etc., so I would imagine they can do it on plates too.

I have done this with a certain kind of printer paper I got at one of the craft stores. It was a few years ago so I don't remember the name of it, but it has a sticky back and feels like cloth. Print it out on your printer, place the plate on top to trace around the area to be covered, and cut it out - peel off the backing (just a little so you can get it placed properly) then pull the rest off.

I have seen these done by printing the picture on light card stock. Use a clear glass plate. Cut the picture to fit in the center of the plate where it will lay flat. You will be working on the bottom of the plate. Put a thin layer of decoupage medium in area where picture will go. Lay picture on medium and use fingers to smooth out and eliminate any air bubbles. Then put another coat of decoupage medium over back of entire picture. After the medium dries thoroughly you will see the picture through the glass on front of plate. After you get the picture firmly sealed down and it is fully dry, you can apply a coat of paint to the back of the plate. The color will show through on the front of the plate. If you want any designs on the rim of plate you will have to apply them before painting the full back. These are actually very pretty. And the picture is protected by the glass on the front. The plates are not washable though. You can use them for things, even food as long as you only wash the front carefully by hand. Don't stick in in the dishwater.

Check out www.webshots.com They offer photos on cups etc. I'm not sure about plates. Good luck. GG Vi

May 31, 2012 Flag

I want to transfer a picture to a plate. How do I do that?

By LJ

You can go to just about any photo department at any pharmacy or large franchise, and tell them what you want, and they will probably pull out their catalog and show you what you can do. I had one made onto a plate from Walmart I believe about 2 years ago.

Hello LJ,

Just go to any decoupage site online and you'll find all the instructions you need and it will be very inexpensive.

Regards, Marie

October 13, 2008 Flag

I'm looking for information on how to transfer a picture on to a cup or plate. I know how to use an iron-on to put a picture on a T-Shirt. Can I use a similar method to iron a picture on a cup? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,
Faye from Texas

Answers:

This company has all kinds of transfer equipment and supplies:

http://www.transferit.net (05/16/2005)

By ThriftyFun

The process is not really too simple and unlikely to be economical enough to do at home. try here:
http://www.digital-ceramics.com/index.php

Best of luck (05/16/2005)

I don't do plates, but you can see my cups at http://www.deb7019.com

If you don't need them to be dishwasher proof, you could just print your picture on decal stuff from Wal-mart, cut it out and stick it on there. Mine are dishwasher proof, btw.
Blessings
Deb (05/17/2005)

By Deb

This plate procedure is simply for decorative use. I have used the decoupage method of transferring pictures onto clear glass plates. I begin with a copy of the picture. It is much easier to adhere the picture, to the plate, than photo paper, because of the texture. " I used standard typing paper".

First cut the photo out, and place behind the plate, (facing toward you) along with all the other pieces that will be glued onto the back of the plate. This step is just to preview the finished plate. Then, begin by spreading a thin layer of Elmer's or decoupage glue, onto the back of the plate. Before putting glue on the front side, of the picture, moisten the back of it with a washcloth or a spray bottle (be careful not to pull, it might tear, just press moisture into the paper(it will make it easier to work with), now pour ample amount of glue onto the photo.

Lay your picture front side down onto the back of the plate. Press out all bubbles and wrinkles, using your fingers is best. Then continue with background pieces. (You can use almost anything as a background: gift wrap, tissue papper, more pictures- to make a collage, napkins, or wait till it dries and paint it with acrylic paints.

To seal you may use special sealers, clear spray paint or layer the glue in several coats allowing it to dry in between coats.
The possibilites are endless.
Have fun,
mary ann* (08/05/2005)

By Mary Ann L*

I hope this is what you need ! NEED, 1 clear plate or cup. Decoupage medium; brush or sponge applicator. Aerosol acrylic sealer and sponge or brayer. Now, apply a thin layer of decoupage medium to the front of picture using a sponge applicator. Position the picture on the back of the plate; smooth out bubbles or wrinkles, using a sponge. Allow decoupage to dry.

Apply thin coat of decoupage medium to the back of the picture as a sealer, allow it to dry. Use acrylic paint in a light color around picture, use a natural sea sponge; apply sparingly. Apply remaining layers of paint, finishing with darker color. If desired, paint back of plate a solid color, using an aerosol paint. Apply light coat of aerosol acrylic sealer; allow sealer to dry. Apply second coat, DONE (04/06/2006)

By Diann

Check this out www.decalpaper.com
I'm ordering some to put a picture of my parents on a plate. The plate is the only piece left from their first dishes when they were married over 60 years ago. I can't wait to see how it works.
(11/13/2006)

By minidox

Look at lazertran transfer paper allows you to print just about anything and put it on any kind of surface. (09/21/2008)

By Dina Parker

Making a Photo Plate
Making a Photo Plate
Crafts AdviceApril 26, 2010
Gold picture frame.
Cleaning Picture Frames
Closeup of HDMI Cable
Saving Money on HDMI Cables
Wickker Paper Plate Holders
Using Paper Plate Holders
Crochet top pin cushion, a craft found on Thriftyfun. Submitted by a member.
Making a Tea Cup Pincushion
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 10:20:42 AM on 10.0.2.107 in 831 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.