Fudge Came Out Gritty

Can you fix peanut butter fudge? Even though it came to a soft ball stage, it came out gritty. The sugar didn't seem to dissolve.

By Roxanne

I always put one or 2 tablespoons of white Karo Syrup in my candy, and I have not had gritty candy since.

http://www.baking911.com/candy/fudge.htm

I've been reading a number of posts about their fudge not hardening.

This is an easy recipe and I've had great results every time.

EASY CHOCOLATE FUDGE

2 cups (12 OZ.) semi-sweet chocolate morsels

1 1/4 cups (14-oz. can) sweetened condensed milk

(do not confuse with evaporated milk)

1 cup chopped nuts

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine morsels and sweetened condensed milk in heavy saucepan. Warm over lowest possible heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat; stir in nuts and vanilla. Spread evenly into foiled-lined 8 or 9-inch square pan. Chill for 2 hours or until firm. Lift from pan; remove foil, cut into squares.

Microwave Oven - Use defrost setting and melt chocolate morsels and sweetened condensed milk. Stir until smooth; stir in nuts and vanilla. For different flavored fudge use white chocolate, peanut butter or butterscotch flavored morsels.

(Makes about 2 pounds of fudge)

I found a bunch of fudge making info at this link including about the crystallizing (gritty) problem:

http://www.fromkarenskitchen.com/tips/fudge_tips.php

In my fudge post I forgot to include the clear karo in the ingredients to boil. Sorry about that. ~Janette~

December 24, 2010 Flag

I always made the Never Fail Fudge on the back of the marshmallow fluff container. They changed the recipe and my fudge came out gritty. Any ideas or recipes for smooth easy fudge?

Kelly from NH

Answers:

Fudge Came Out Gritty

You have to be sure the sugar is dissolved before it comes to a boil. The old recipe said to boil for 7 minutes instead of 4. I still boil mine 7 and it turns out fine. (01/07/2009)

By VARA

Fudge Came Out Gritty

Using sugar that is not pure cane sugar will always make grainy candy.
Try the fudge recipe that is made by melting together:

• 1 can condensed milk
  • 3 cups chocolate chips
  • add 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 cup nuts if desired

Put in oiled 8X8 pan. Refrigerate to set. Cut when hard.
You can line pan with wax paper or parchment for easy removal of whole thing to cut candy. (01/10/2009)

By WIsgal

Fudge Came Out Gritty

I thought it had something to do with sugar and or dust; here is a part of an article I found on the Internet with the link to the rest of the article.

There's a lot of physical chemistry involved in making old fashioned fudge. The recipe calls for combining and boiling milk, bitter chocolate or cocoa, and sugar together until the temperature of the syrup reaches 238 degrees F (114degrees C), pouring the seething mixture into a bowl, cooling to 115 degrees F (46 degrees C), and then beating until the surface shine disappears. If you don't follow the cautions in the recipe: wash down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush or cover the pan for a few minutes early in the cooking process; don't scrape the pan; don't disturb the candy until it's cooled; don't let anything, even a speck of dust, fall into the cooling syrup, you are very likely to wind up with a coarse, gritty mass instead of creamy fudge. http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF8/871.html (01/12/2009)

By BABBIE

Fudge Came Out Gritty

I always put one or 2 tablespoons of white Karo syrup in my candy and I have not had gritty candy since. (01/12/2009)

By Faye W.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesDecember 24, 2010
Easy Fudge Recipes
Easy Fudge Recipes
Peanut butter fudge made with cake frosting and peanut butter.
Cake Frosting Fudge Recipes
Two men Dressed as Storm Troopers
Making a Clone Trooper Costume
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Recipes
🎉
🎄