Beef and Chicken Stock Tastes Like Vinegar

I had an over abundance of frozen beef and chicken stock so I decided to can it to free up some space. I brought it to a boil, poured it into my sterile jars and then did a 10 minute water bath. I have opened both the chicken and the beef stock and they taste like I added vinegar to them. Can someone please tell me what happened?

The problem is that you used a boiling water bath. Discard the stock immediately-- it is bad.

All meat products, including stock, must be processed in a pressure canner to be safely canned.

Here is one site that has some details:

http://www.canning-food-recipes.com/canning.htm

Consider it a lesson learned, nothing worse (unless, that is, you have actually allowed some of it to be used).

Denise

I agree that she now has bad food. It has spoiled.

The problem is not the hot water bath method, rather the time that she actually had the jars in the hot water bath. My grandmothers and my mom and myself have all processed meat in a hot water bath. You just have to do it a lot longer. Just be careful that you do process the jars as long as it is recommended. Fish in pint jars take SEVEN hours whereas chicken done in 1 quart sized jars take THREE hours.

Canned Fish

Pack fish pieces into a pint jar

Add:

1Tbsp vinegar

1 1/2 tsp oil

1/2 tsp salt

fill with tomato juice or soup until 1/2" below neck of jar.

Boil in a hot water bath for SEVEN hours.

This makes a wonderful "salmon" tasting canned fish. We did this all the time when we would get a large batch of fish, instead of freezing all of it. The bones are even soft just like they are in store bought canned fish tins.

Canned chicken

Cut chicken into pieces (leg, thigh, breast)

Pack into one quart sized jars.

Add 1 tsp salt into each jar.

Process in a hot water bath for THREE hours.

We used to clean up the year old laying hens by canning them this way because they certainly did not make for a good roasting chicken. When I was making sandwiches for my 4 siblings and 3 or 4 foster kids each morning, I would take a jar of chicken, take all the meat off the bones, add a little mayonnaise and it made wonderful sandwiches for all of us.

Meat needs to be processed in a PRESSURE COOKER. The Amish generally do not use a pressure cooker, but process it for HOURS....the seven hour time listed above sounds about right.

DO NOT EAT this food...it has gone bad.

ALL experts agree, without exception-- all meat products (as well as vergetables and anything else that is not very acidic) MUST be canned by the pressure method to be safe for consumption. Old methods notwithstanding, never ever try to use a hot water bath. Botulism toxin cannot be smelled or tasted, and it is 100% deadly.

The spoilage that lowered the PH of your stock probably saved your life.

Please check USDA and University extension sites for modern instructions before attempting to can again.

Denise

P.S. You can begin here:

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_1OB?navid=SEARCH&q=canning&Go_button.x=13&Go_button.y=5

Hey,

I took some chicken stock leftover from boiling some chickens adn froze it in small containers. That's okay to use right?

Frozen stock is fine. Spoilage isn't a problem in frozen foods. Just make sure you don't leave it out at room temperature for too long before freezing and don't thaw it at room temperature.

Denise

Food and Recipes CanningSeptember 20, 2005
chicken tomato risotto
Recipes Using Chicken Stock
chicken noodle soup
Making Chicken Stock
Vinegar Bottle
Removing Vinegar Smell from Carpet
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume
🎉
🎄