What Does "sm" Mean in Knitting Instructions?

In knitting what does the abbreviation "sm" mean?

By Julia from Margate, FL

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

If it is a clothing item, I would assume it means size small.

sm = slip marker

It means to slide the stitch marker from one needle to another as it comes up to the working needle.

I'm quoting this from the Lion Brand Yarn website (http://www.lionbrand.com). They have a great learning center online. It's how I taught myself to knit 5 years ago!

The term sm in knitting instructions means slip marker. Slip marker assists you by not having to count stitches. You can use your ring or safety pin and when you come to it just slip on to the other needle. You can buy a slip marker at a sewing storew. Hope this helps.

Answer

Crafts KnittingAugust 29, 2010
Homemade gluten free pasta.
Gluten Free Pasta Recipes
pink knitted hat
Knitting a Hat
Round Knitting Looms
Round Knitting Loom Tips
machine knitting a hat
Buying and Using a Knitting Machine
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 26, 2016 at 6:49:05 PM on 10.0.2.83 in 871 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.