Removing Odors from a Leather Jacket

Removing smells can be difficult, especially from this material. This guide is about removing ordors from a leather jacket.

Leather Jacket
Filter Sort

Question: Removing Odor from a Leather Jacket

How do I get rid of frying odors from a restaurant, on my leather jacket? Clarissa D.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Cyinda 214 1,287 Flag

The easiest way is to hang it in the fresh air overnight. But before you start, I'd first spray the jacket with a lot of Febreze inside & out (I like the vanilla scent because it's not a strong scent). If this doesn't work, the only thing left is to rent an ozone machine & hang the jacket in a closed small room with the ozone machine running for about an hour or 2 & the odor will totally disappear! If you have a friend that has an ozone based room air cleaner, you can use that. It may take a whole day in a small room with the ozone based air cleaner, but it will work. I'd turn the jacket inside out after an hour or so & keep turning it right-side, then inside out the whole time the ozone machine or ozone air cleaner is on.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Fuel Odor on a Leather Jacket

By Jim 1

I spilled Jet-A on the cuff of my leather flight jacket (not on the leather itself thankfully). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the smell and/or fuel out. Thanks!

By Freightdog from Salisbury, MD

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Cyinda 214 1,287 Flag

You might try covering the stain with baking soda or borax for a day or so then brushing with a toothbrush... then repeating.... I think the baking soda or borax may "suck" the kerosene out (kerosene is what jet fuel is made from). Another thing that would work even better yet to "suck" out the fuel is that Silica Gel they use to dry & preserve flowers with. It's sold in craft stores.

* You may want to try a "foaming carpet & upholstery cleaner" It's the stuff you foam on, then let it dry, then vacuum off... but first read the rest of my ideas, especially the tips at the bottom (from internet). Remember, a "Petroleum Product" is basically the same, if it's gasoline, kerosene, lighter fluid or diesel. Please never smoke or be around fire when wearing this jacket in the future!

---> Read my previous tips (from Cyinda) here:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf94067887.tip.html

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf64314351.tip.html

If all else fails you can either take your jacket into a leather cleaner (NOT a regular dry cleaner!)... OR take it into a boot & shoe repairman, OR cut the area of the lining out, then patch it with new fabric.... But first read the above URL tips I posted, that have much more detail.

Here's some tips I got off the internet:

http://laundry.about.com/od/stainremoval/f/removegasstain.htm

http://www.tipking.co.uk/tip/3109.html

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Odor from Leather Jacket

By Evelyn 1 1

I have an older leather jacket that I love, bit it smells old. It doesn't smell musty or anything, just smells old. Any ideas of how to freshen it? So far I have wiped it down really good with a leather conditioner, but it's still stinky.

Thanks in advance!

By Evelyn

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

By Ruby W. 1

I recently bought a leather jacket and do not like the smell! I read somewhere, years ago, to place leather in a freezer for several days to remove odors. Have you ever heard of this and will it hurt the leather? I do recall putting a pair of new gloves in the freezer and forgot them and they were in there for weeks. It did take the odor away, but wasn't sure about a jacket.

By Ruby from OH

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Cleaning LeatherFebruary 24, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Men's leather winter boots.
Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:52:25 AM on 10.0.0.125 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings