Removing Black Mold from a Mattress - Categories:

FurnitureCleaning

Removing Black Mold from a Mattress

My boyfriend has a very nice queen mattress that we could use at my place but it has been in a room and house that is full of black mold. Can I save this mattress or should I just throw it away? Can I sleep on it? What can I use to be sure that the black mold and smell is gone? Please help.

By Ann

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Think about it; schools are closed for health reasons when there is evidence of black mold. There must be a very good reason for this. Throw the mattress out!

Toss it! Toss it! Toss it! And when you toss it, cut it up so that others don't take it home for their kids to use as a tumbling mat or something. dawn

While all forms of black mold are not created equal, they are nasty to deal with. Unless you want a lab to test it to see what kind it is (100.00 or so) you might just want to get rid of it all together. You probably have more than one mold, I'm guessing...penicillin? Anyway, molds compete to dominate, that creates gasses. Not good to breathe. Before you destroy, move, look at mattress again, call the manufacturer, testing lab, or furniture store to learn about protecting yourself while you dispose of it. Sorry about your bad luck, I understand the expense.

Toss it! Black mold spreads and is not worth risking your health!

I agree with FFL. Please dispose of the mattress, for your health's sake. When you do, use a knife to cut large slashes through the mattress so others won't be tempted to take it home.

You're kidding, right?

I'd probably toss it but if money is tight I'm wondering if you could enclose the whole mattress in some sort of cover like those they make for mattresses. I don't know; just thinking. Would probably depend on how bad and how much mold.

I'd take some of DawnDakota's suggestions.

After our town flooded in 2008, it was not suggested for people to keep their mattresses even if they weren't showing signs of mold or in the flood waters. I wouldn't suggest taking the risk of trying to remedy the mold.

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureFebruary 22, 2010
Balack mokd on the wall.
Getting Rid of Black Mold
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Mattress Cover
Repairing A Plastic Mattress Cover
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 10:34:19 AM on 10.0.1.210 in 850 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.