Cooked Liver Has a Greenish Color

I cooked some calf liver and noticed the next day that some of it was a green color. It was well cooked and not expired and had only been in the fridge a few days. Is that normal?

By Lou

Yes it's fine. It just oxidized from all the iron in it. It's perfectly fine to eat its just from the iron.

When I was a child, my Mother raised and butchered her own chickens. The one major concern was not to break the gall bladder which is attached to the liver or it would not only cause a terrible distaste to the meat, but would also cause a greenish discoloring.

I know the gall bladder is attached by tissue to the livers of other animals (including humans), so care is always taken when butchering the animals intended for food not to break the gall bladder for the same reason stated above.

If the meat was fine when you first cooked it, it's probably for the reason suggested by DebbieJean rather than an accident during butchering. I've never seen leftover liver turn green, but I cannot dispute that reasoning as it's a distinct possibility. If it tasted good (not bitter) when it was first cooked, then it's probably the iron causing the discoloring.

I learn something new every day, thank goodness.

Pookarina

What debbiejean said.

Cooking Beef Liver
Food and Recipes Food Tips MeatJuly 16, 2011
Chicken Liver
Chicken Liver Recipes
Blue-Green Carpet
Paint Color to Coordinate With Blue-Green Carpet
A plate of cooked turkey.
Keeping Cooked Turkey Moist
Beef Liver Recipes
Beef Liver Recipes
🎉
🎄