Big Bird (Sulphur Crested Cockatoo)

contest winner icon

Big Bird is about 8 years old. He is a Sulphur Crested cockatoo. Big Bird came to us as a very sick, traumatized bird about three years ago. He had been owned by a couple who were heavily into drugs and who also had no idea what to do for a bird. He had been kept in a small budgerigar cage and fed (of all things) dry dog biscuits. It was a wonder he had survived at all.

Poor Big Bird was nearly bald from having his feathers ripped out constantly from the small area in which he lived, and nearly died with malnutrition as well. But we nursed him back to health and considering the trauma he lived through, has become the sweetest, most loving cockie ever.

He adores my husband and I (My husband not so much as he is the one who has to trim his beak!) and lives on an open gym in our lounge room. Makes a mess, but what the heck? His feathers are finally starting to grow, though he still has no flight or tail feathers. But at least what he has grown back keeps him cozy, and we don't care how scruffy he looks!

Big Bird has becoming very cheeky now that his health is good and has taken to swinging upside down on one of his branches and saying "Hullo, how ARE ya?" Dancing is a fave too, and he has no end of fun 'bopping' along with me to a song. (Believe me, I am the one that looks silly!) It goes to show what love and patience can do, and though it took a couple of years to let him learn to love, it was most certainly worth it!

By Vicki K

Hello Vicki,

Thank you so much for rescuing one of our Australian Natives. We have so many of them here, and so many of them get treated like poor Big Bird has, and it's absolutely criminal. They love to dance, and he can have an enormous vocabulary, if you have the time and patience to teach him. I would love to see you dancing together - I bet you look just Bonza. Big Bird will know what I mean.

Have a wonderful life with him - they're wonderful birds.

Big hugs, Leah from Down Under.

Hi Vicky:

You have done a wonderful job with Big Bird - thank goodness you rescued him! Just shows what love and patience can do. Best wishes to you and your husband and, of course, Big Bird.

Joan from Chesterfield, Michigan

Your bird looks pretty healthy to me. My son had one fly into his yard 17 years ago, but they lost it last year. It has been with the kids ever since they were born, so they missed it greatly. Happy to see you nursed it back to health.

Poor Big Birdie. A very touching story, and I thank God for the happy ending that you and your husband

gave him. People, Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

I'd give all 3 of you a Thumbs Up, if I could.

StarWarsCollector

How could someone do this and keep it in a parakeet cage? Most parakeet cages are too small as it is!

I am so happy that you posted this. Thank goodness the darling creature found your loving home to recuperate in.

It takes my fosters about that long to come around if they have been traumatized also, and most of my fosters are doggies!

Bless you !

Here is our Perry, he loves his cage, and is pretty unsociable but we love him anyway!

Robyn

What a beautiful baby you have! I wish that people who abuse animals such be punished heavily! There's NO excuse for treating something God gave breath and a heartbeat too! He is very lucky to have you. Good job and a big high 5!

Sulphur-Crested Cockatoo
Sulphur-Crested Cockatoo Photos
Pets Pet PagesMay 28, 2010
Homemade Wild Bird Food
Homemade Wild Bird Food
Seasonal Bird
Counting Seasonal Birds
Hairless Chinese Crested Dog
Hairless Chinese Crested Breed Information and Photos
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Cockatoo is Scratching Itself
🎄
🍂