Making Roses Big and Healthy

What is the best way to have healthy rose bushes? I have heard that coffee grounds really help roses. Is this true?

By Candita from Suffolk, VA

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Yes its true coffee grounds help every plant, crushed egg shells, banana peels at the base. Don't put the grounds right on the plants, as it could burn the plants. If you have beetles or other insects on them plant garlic bulbs next to them.

Ditto the coffee grounds, egg shells, and banana peel. Beautiful results! Also, you can sprinkle a half cup or so of epsom salts around the plant a couple times a year. You don't even have to dissolve it first - just let rains slowly water it in.

June 23, 2009 Flag

Can you please tell me what I can do to make my roses big and healthy using stuff from my kitchen?

Paige from Trinidad, West Indies

Answers:

Making Roses Big And Healthy

I pour cold coffee on mine and add coffee grounds to the soil. My roses are beautiful. (04/21/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

Making Roses Big And Healthy

Your roses will grow well if you take banana peelings and dig them into the soil around the plant.
I cut the peels in 3 to 4 inch wide pieces, and use a little shovel to dig them into the soil. The banana peels are full of potassium, which is good for the plant. Each time I add more peelings, I move a little more out from the base of the plant. In a few months or so, I can start closer to the plant again. Sometimes I add a little potting soil as I dig the peels into the soil. I am sure that there are other plants which would benefit from the added potassium, but I don't know which ones.

Barbara in TN (04/23/2008)

By Barb in TN

Making Roses Big And Healthy

I was chatting to an elderly man about his wonderful roses in his front yard. He had masses of colorful, huge flowers on each bush. He told me that the secret is to get the right bush (the modern hybrids don't flower as long or as often) and he fertilizes his every week. Get a rose formulated food, and do this every week. Also, cutting them back every winter revitalizes the plant. Another tip is to lay the branches horizontally and tie them down (eg. espalier them). They shoot up vertical branches, and it is these branches that end up flowering. If you have a horizontal branch, it could easily end up with five flower spikes at any given time. Good luck! (04/24/2008)

By Cathy from Townsville, QLD

Making Roses Big And Healthy

Put banana peels or any old leftovers of bananas into a blender with water. Blend. Pour it on the ground around your rosebush. Or you can dig a hole and bury it. Bananas are high in potassium that roses need to flourish.

Also, don't forget that flowering plants need lots of water.

Best of luck (04/25/2008)

By Carol in PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening RosesJune 23, 2009
Pink rose with bumble bee.
Growing Roses in Hot Weather
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed
Closeup of Lavender Rose
Starting Roses from Cuttings
Heart of a pink rose.
Growing Roses in a Tropical Climate
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 1:22:15 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.