Advice With Helping Neglected Kitten

Kitten Help! I have just been out in the dark rescuing a kitten [8-9 weeks] from a tree down the street. The child at the house told me the kitty belongs to my next door neighbors. Problem is, the next door neighbors have killed by neglect or worse 4 dogs in the five years they have lived there. They seem to be decent people just horrible pet owners. I'm not giving the kitten back to them. I'm temped to keep him, but how do I explain that later?

I also thinking of taking him to the SPCA in hopes he will be adopted. My conscience won't let me give him back. I know he won't survive. He is here in my lap, poor baby, covered in dirt and fleas. I'm sure it will get back to the neighbors that I have him, since I talked to the people at the house where he was in the tree. What do I say if they come looking for him? Maybe I could say he ran away...

Joy from Visalia CA

I would not give the cat back to the neighbors. After one pet dies from neglect they should have learned but 4? Animal shelters are overwhelmed with kittens, his chance of being adopted is small, he will probably be put down. Since you seem to be willing to keep him, just tell the neighbors(if anybody asks, no need to volunteer information) that the cat got away from you. Then keep it in the house. Yes, it's a lie but sometimes truth needs to be tempered with compassion as well as common sense. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Hi Joy,

You're right; you musn't give this kitten back to the neighbor. Just the fact that he's covered in fleas tells me he is not cared for. Keep him in the house, speak to the S.P.C.A., explain your situation and perhaps they have an idea how to help. Perhaps you can post an adoption ad at their shelter. Thank you for being the great person you are to take a needy one in. Peace, Sharon

I agree that sometimes, a hero must step in to protect the vulnerable, but in this case, I don't suggest that you keep the kitten. It can start a "neighbor war" later if it is seen, and it WILL be seen eventually. I'd quietly try to find it a good home AWAY from the immediate neighborhood (after a good de-fleaing). Once you find it a good safe home, you can truthfully say (only if asked) that it "got away" from you. I know this is going to be an unpopular thought, but a great way to place a kitten is to simply go to a mall entrance and hold it in your arms petting it. chances are that SOMEONE (adult) will fall in love.

If the neighbours haven't been out scouring the neighbourhood and putting up posters or contacting the SPCA regularly looking for it, chances are they won't care one way or the other. Keeping the little kitty in is safest for his health and well-being anyway. If they haven't knocked on your door to ask if you've seen by now, they aren't going to, I figure and if they do, say you saw it, but couldn't catch so you have no idea where it is now. Does the kitten have distinctive markings? If not, then if and when they notice you have a kitten that looks like theirs, you can just say that they must be mistaken.

I can't help but say they are NOT decent people if they have purposely let any animals die.

Thank you for your compassion. Animal abuse or neglect is a crime, and you don't want that to happen again. I would clean up kitty, make him pretty, and find another home for him (not a pet shelter where his chances of survival may be iffy). I think that even if you keep him inside all the time, your neighbors would eventually see him. If they ask about the cat, I agree you could tell them you rescued him from the tree and then he got away from you.

Keep that kitten and give him the love he needs. I love my babies. We have a black Lab now. I am usually a cat person. Our baby Sassy, rules the house. I try not to have more than one pet at a time, but if I had happened along on a poor defenseless baby, like you have, I would keep him. Don't worry about the neighbors. If you see any more animals at their house, call the authorities.

I agree with the others, keep the kitty. Get him to a vet to make sure you get rid of the fleas and see if he has worms or anything else he could have that may have an impact on his health and your family! Thanks for caring!

You should also document the condition of the kitten with pictures and the vet's records.

They're not going to come looking for the kitten unless it was promised to one of their children and the kid wants it back. It's obvious they couldn't care less.

If you keep it, the neighbors will see it. But will they care to recognize it?

By all means, take those pics and document the poor shape the kitten is in.

The child at the house could possibly be mistaken as to whom the kitty belongs. For all you know this is simply a stray. To a little kid, all white (or tiger striped, ...) kitties look the same.

Please report these people if they get another pet. It is against the law not to provide food, water, and shelter to a pet and should be enforced. Thanks for taking care of kitty.

Pets CatsOctober 8, 2007
One Month Old Kittens
Feeding a One Month Old Kitten
Flea Bath
Giving a Kitten a Flea Bath
Black and White Kitten
Adopting a Kitten
Teething Kitten
Teething Kitten Advice
🎉
🎄