Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Removing Wonder Under From Clothing

How do you get the adhesive from iron-on Wonder-Under off of fabric?

By Nancy from Kansas City, MO

By Keeper [57]01/09/2011

I found this for you: Wonder Under is an heat-sensitive adhesive and if you followed the directions it will make a permanent bond. It is possible to remove the applique but there's no guarantee you will remove all the glue. If you want to try it here's what to do:

Heat the applique back up with an iron (to re-melt the glue) and be sure to remove it while hot. This might leave a white adhesive residue when cool. If this happens try the following: Take a piece of clean cotton and place the pocket face down on it. Press a hot iron on the pocket, pressing for a bit longer than you did to adhere the applique. Peel it away from the cotton. Move the cotton over to a clean spot. Repeat until the glue has been absorbed into the cotton. (You can do this with wax too). Hope this helps you.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Wonder Under From Clothing

I took off some things I had appliqued to a shirt using Wonder Under. The appliques were old so they just peeled right off. Now, I am having trouble removing what's left of the Wonder Under that is on the shirt. I have tried Goo Gone, but that did not work. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Pru from Tampa, FL

RE: Removing Wonder Under From Clothing

Set the shirt spot-down on a clean waste cloth (cotton preferably), and iron a little longer than you did to apply the appliques in the first place. Don't overdo it, but get the area nice and hot. Repeat if necessary until the waste cloth has absorbed the excess adhesive.

To prevent lifting in future, be sure to use the minimum time recommended, let cool, and re-iron the spots necessary. Over-ironing weakens the adhesive and makes it run, which is the principle behind removing the adhesive spots. (11/21/2006)

By speedwell