How Do I Get My Hair Color Back to Its Natural Color?

I have very pretty silver hair, but dye it jet black and wear it short. I want to go silver all the way! What's the best way?

By Ann

You are lucky since you have short hair. There is no easy way to do it, you have to let it grow out and suffer through it but it goes pretty fast with short hair since you are cutting it every month or so. If you don't like that idea, you could have your hair stripped and color it a lighter color (like blond) and let that grow out. Blond and gray wouldn't look as obvious as black and gray.

You could keep it colored with a semi-permanent dark color (the kind that gradually washes out in about 28 shampoos).

As the color gradually fades, you will be able to tell how far the silver has grown out.

If it still has a long way to go, color it again.

Once you can tell that the silver has grown out completely, stop using the semi-permanent color.

Just let it grow out! That's the only way to get it back to your natural color. I did the same thing as you are planning to do and I love it! No more hitting the (dye) bottle! What a relief! Being short, it will grow out in no time, unlike if it was long, that would take years. My friend has hair down to her waist and a grow-out almost to her shoulders. She should just cut the rest of the dyed hair off, but she won't do it. It looks really tacky, but it's her hair, after all. Good luck!

My suggestiton would be to have it died as close to your natural silver color as you can get, then let it grow out from there. It would look a lot better than leaving it black and letting it grow out to silver.

Can you let your roots grow out a bit? Once there's enough grown out then your hairdresser can "match" the silver that is your natural color and dye the rest. I did the bleach-blonde thing for years and was amazed to find that my formerly dark blonde hair was now naturally a medium dark brown. I had my hairdresser "match" the now brown roots and showed up to work on Monday a Brunette. I sure got a lot of comments, but I loved my "new" color. By the way, my hair was shoulder length at that time, so short should be a snap! Good luck!

So my hair was a great natural dirty blonde, with natural highlights. And I stupidly went to dye it lighter, the first time I've ever dyed it it turned orange, so then I went to dye it a dark brown to get rid of the orange and for awhile it was brown but from all the sun my roots turned orange.

So I went to the hairdresser the other day and asked for a dark blonde expecting it to be at least close to my natural colour. Totally wasn't! It turned orange again. I spent $100 dollars and all I get is a shitty colour, so now I have to go to the hairdresser again and dye it a light brown

My hair is a medium length abit longer then my shoulder. How long do you think it'll take for my natural hair to grow back, i totally regret dying my hair.. but we all make mistakes

Please answer back I need loads of help right now! And good opinions.

March 3, 2011 Flag

I am African American woman who has colored her hair using dark and lovely hair color from honey blonde to fiery red. What can I do to turn it black again?

By TeeTee from Baltimore, MD

You didn't mention how long ago that you colored your hair fiery red.

Wait one week in between chemical treatments, so as to give your hair a rest. Buy yourself a hair coloring kit, then after one week, color it back to your natural color. If you don't want to color your hair a second time, you could always wait until your natural color grows out. It's always a good idea to use a conditioner in your hair, since chemical treatments can be very drying to the hair.

Licensed Cosmetologist (11/13/2010)

A girl with blonde hair.
Getting Hair Color Back to Natural After Dyeing
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringMarch 3, 2011
Remedies for Static Hair
Remedies for Static Hair
Woman holding a dog in arms.
Removing Pet Hair from Clothing
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink