Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Treating a Dog with Yeast Infection

I have a female Chihuahua that has an yeast infection around her vulva. Several vets have prescribed medications and nothing is helping. It remains raw and very uncomfortable for her. Any ideas what to do for her? I use A and D ointment just to help the burning subside, but I need something to get rid of it permanently. Thanks.

By Crystal from Des Moines, IA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Marg [3]12/27/2011

I agree with everyone else on yogurt with 'live' active cultures. Not any yogurt will do. Also, you might try cocoa butter to relieve the redness and swelling. It has worked wonders for me.

By Kate11/20/2009

Restoring the natural flora and acidic environment will bring the yeast in check. Feeding her yogurt with live cultures is good, adding acidophilus to her food would be better (You can purchase tablets in the OTC section of any store, they are relatively inexpensive. Crush and add to her food) You can also apply topically to her vulva by making a paste with the acidophilus and a little water. Applying straight vinegar topically may be too much, rinsing her vulva area with vinegar water would probably be better. When we humans have a vaginal yeast infection, a vinegar and water douche in addition to consuming the acidophilus cultures will curb the overgrowth of yeast, and restore the natural environment of the vaginal canal.

By Mary Koehler [8]11/19/2009

Have the dog checked to see if it is diabetic. Yeast infections are common in people who have diabetes, but have been undiagnosed.

By Karen Lawson [7]11/18/2009

Stop using the A&D ointment. Instead use zinc oxide ointment. You can buy it at Walmart over the counter. You may have to ask for it. Also give her yogurt as some of the others suggested. Also, pour vinegar water over her affected area a few times a day. If that doesn't work find a good vet that has seen this before.

By Debby [6]11/18/2009

My dogs used to be bothered with ear infections until I started feeding them a tablespoon of yogurt with every meal. I also give them grapefruit seed extract in their water. It's a natural antibiotic. I give it to them as a preventative against infections of all sorts. You can get it at health food stores. It's a little bottle but lasts forever. It has to be very diluted because it's very bitter tasting. You can mix it with distilled water and apply directly on irritated areas. Goggle grapefruit seed extract and you'll find all sorts of uses for it. I suffer from rashes of all sorts and it's the best thing I've found for getting rid of them. I take it with water twice a day plus directly on any rashes. Good luck.

By Mary [1]11/18/2009

I had a female chihuahua with the same problem and our vet had me feed her yogert with live cultures and it cleared it up.

By Marna Goodyear [2]11/18/2009

Yup, yogurt.

By Joan [13]11/17/2009

Put Bag Balm on it. Won't hurt her if she licks it and is used to heal cow's teats.

By Heather [1]11/17/2009

Have you tried cider vinegar, topically? I've used it to stop a yeast infection / fungal infection in my elderly cat's ear- and it worked within about 3 days! Your pup may smell like pickles for a bit, but maybe she'll get better quick. Vinegar works for this because of the high acidity- same as yogurt does, but because it's more acidic, it really kills the infection off, quick! Good luck to you and your doggie. :o)

By Nan Corpe [6]11/17/2009

What kind of vets are they that leave this little dog suffering with this infection? You should report them and go to another vet. Meanwhile, I have heard that yogurt is good for yeast infections. I don't know about curing it, but a little yogurt each day might prevent yeast infections in dogs. I know several people who use it for that reason and for their dogs who have diarrhea. I would go with the advice about organic yogurt or at least stay away from the flavored ones. You might try putting a little yogurt right on the red area and see if that gives her some relief.

By Cricket [201]11/17/2009

I'm wondering if cranberry juice would help her? I know that's what I drink when I get one but haven't had a pet come up with one so haven't had the chance to try it on them.

By Hayzlenut11/15/2009

Try plain organic yogurt. Look at the label. It should say 'contains active live cultures' Feed her as much as she will eat and if you can, administer it internally. Even if she licks it off, she is still ingesting it.