Treating a Dog with Yeast Infection

By crystal chamberlain 2 9

I have a female Chihuahua that has an yeast infection around her vulva. Several vets have prescribed medications and nothing is helping. It remains raw and very uncomfortable for her. Any ideas what to do for her? I use A and D ointment just to help the burning subside, but I need something to get rid of it permanently. Thanks.

By Crystal from Des Moines, IA

Showing: Answers Sort

By Hayzlenut 2 Flag

Try plain organic yogurt. Look at the label. It should say 'contains active live cultures' Feed her as much as she will eat and if you can, administer it internally. Even if she licks it off, she is still ingesting it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cricket 205 895 Flag

I'm wondering if cranberry juice would help her? I know that's what I drink when I get one but haven't had a pet come up with one so haven't had the chance to try it on them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Nan Corpe 7 290 Flag

What kind of vets are they that leave this little dog suffering with this infection? You should report them and go to another vet. Meanwhile, I have heard that yogurt is good for yeast infections. I don't know about curing it, but a little yogurt each day might prevent yeast infections in dogs. I know several people who use it for that reason and for their dogs who have diarrhea. I would go with the advice about organic yogurt or at least stay away from the flavored ones. You might try putting a little yogurt right on the red area and see if that gives her some relief.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Heather 1 50 Flag

Have you tried cider vinegar, topically? I've used it to stop a yeast infection / fungal infection in my elderly cat's ear- and it worked within about 3 days! Your pup may smell like pickles for a bit, but maybe she'll get better quick. Vinegar works for this because of the high acidity- same as yogurt does, but because it's more acidic, it really kills the infection off, quick! Good luck to you and your doggie. :o)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Joan 14 122 Flag

Put Bag Balm on it. Won't hurt her if she licks it and is used to heal cow's teats.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Marna Goodyear 5 38 Flag

Yup, yogurt.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Mary 2 52 Flag

I had a female chihuahua with the same problem and our vet had me feed her yogert with live cultures and it cleared it up.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Debby 21 90 Flag

My dogs used to be bothered with ear infections until I started feeding them a tablespoon of yogurt with every meal. I also give them grapefruit seed extract in their water. It's a natural antibiotic. I give it to them as a preventative against infections of all sorts. You can get it at health food stores. It's a little bottle but lasts forever. It has to be very diluted because it's very bitter tasting. You can mix it with distilled water and apply directly on irritated areas. Goggle grapefruit seed extract and you'll find all sorts of uses for it. I suffer from rashes of all sorts and it's the best thing I've found for getting rid of them. I take it with water twice a day plus directly on any rashes. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Karen Lawson 11 63 Flag

Stop using the A&D ointment. Instead use zinc oxide ointment. You can buy it at Walmart over the counter. You may have to ask for it. Also give her yogurt as some of the others suggested. Also, pour vinegar water over her affected area a few times a day. If that doesn't work find a good vet that has seen this before.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Wisgal 8 271 Flag

Have the dog checked to see if it is diabetic. Yeast infections are common in people who have diabetes, but have been undiagnosed.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kate 1 5 Flag

Restoring the natural flora and acidic environment will bring the yeast in check. Feeding her yogurt with live cultures is good, adding acidophilus to her food would be better (You can purchase tablets in the OTC section of any store, they are relatively inexpensive. Crush and add to her food) You can also apply topically to her vulva by making a paste with the acidophilus and a little water. Applying straight vinegar topically may be too much, rinsing her vulva area with vinegar water would probably be better. When we humans have a vaginal yeast infection, a vinegar and water douche in addition to consuming the acidophilus cultures will curb the overgrowth of yeast, and restore the natural environment of the vaginal canal.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Marg 3 142 Flag

I agree with everyone else on yogurt with 'live' active cultures. Not any yogurt will do. Also, you might try cocoa butter to relieve the redness and swelling. It has worked wonders for me.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By folly 1 Flag

I sprinkle a capsule of probiotics on my dogs and cats food. The dog is for all his skin issues. My cat is allergy to insects...every spring his nose gets bitten and the hair falls out and gets all crusty. Not much help from the vet. Read to try building him immune system and found probiotics and omega-3 oil on food seems to help some. Makes the cats hair beautiful and super shiney. I found probiotics for dogs and cats for sale but it was so expensive, I wrote down the stains in their blend and found basically the same ones for humans much cheaper. You just dump the powder on their food, it is tasteless so they eat it just fine.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Dog's Yeast Infection
Treating a Dog's Yeast Infection
Pets Dogs HealthNovember 15, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
oinment bottle
Treating a Staph Infection (Cellulitis)
Dog's Yeast Infection
Treating a Dog's Yeast Infection
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 9:07:45 PM on 10.0.2.62 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings