Buy Magazines Used at Garage Sales

I go to yard sales and garage sales and sometimes they have used magazines. I buy them for five to ten cents each. Sometimes they even give them away. They have really nice recipes and fresh ideas too. Cheap is good.

By Sue from Mt. Laurel, NJ

I take my magazines, black out my name and address, then a friend who takes care of many people through the hospital outreach takes and shares them with many households of women mostly.

I also take my year before's stash of This Old House to the school shop department. Excellent for students reading material, project seeking ideas.

My daughter recently had a yard sale and I contributed some items including old magazines I had kept. I had many craft magazines and thought instead of throwing them away I would give them to her for the sale. I went through the magazines first and printed out the instructions I wanted (keeping the magazine intact for others) and cut off the address label. They were the best sellers of the sale. We sold them for 25 cents apiece and felt good others could get some use out of them instead of sending them to the recycle bin.

I love finding cheap or free magazines at garage sales, especially cooking magazines. I don't care how old they are, they are new to me if I've never read before! I also love to look at magazines at the library. I take my daughter to chess club there on Mondays and while she plays, I sit in a comfy chair and look at magazines. I don't even subscribe to any magazines anymore and it's less to be taking up space in my home!

These are all wonderful ideas. I get mine there, too. However, if you ladies want the benefits of new magazines without the clutter and paper waste, here is what I would do.

Go to www.zinio.com, a wonderful site where you can save money and have all the mags' you would want delivered digitally. They have so many to choose from and although you can't print or save (at least I have never been able to figure out how) you can read and enjoy. I hope this helps. Poor But Proud

I agree; it's a great tip. Often I will buy for a few cents a magazine I wouldn't pay full price for, and find the one or two things of interest. I also like to have a supply of bright pictures for great grandchildren to look at, cut out, paste, etc.

There are ways to get magazines free! Check out freestufftimes.com for notices of free magazine offers, There are lots of them! Heaven knows how many we are currently receiving. I really enjoy them & we always pass them on to my husband's school & elsewhere. (I also have one or two online magazines, but I don't like them as much, as I am mostly interested in fashion, decorating, crafts, and so on & like to see the pix in detail!)

I've gotten a great library of kid's magazines at garage sales. Often magazines that are about animals or literature based, so they don't really get outdated. I have a big crate with hanging folders marked by the month. Next June, this year's old Ranger Rick or Ladybug magazine is new all over again. I also save the magazines that my daughters receive as gifts from grandparents. My crate is also a great source of "new" material to take to waiting rooms (and comes without mystery germs). When they start to outgrow them, we'll already have a stash of animal pictures for school projects.

Better Living Frugal Living TipsJune 3, 2010
A table full of items for sale at a garage sale.
Finding Garage Sales
Garage Sales
Shopping at Garage Sales
A woman taking a photo of a vase to post it on eBay.
eBay vs. Garage Sales
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
🎄
🍂