Hair Color Advice For Dark Brown Hair

What would red hair dye for light brown hair (eg. Warm Red Shaders and Toners) look like on dark brown hair?

Nadia from England, UK

It probably won't be noticeable unless you have some grey. It will cling to the grey and look like highlights.

I had dark brown hair when I was young. I started seeing gray when I was about 19. I started using dark auburn shades on my hair and it looked really nice. It didn't look like a dye job at all. I have blue eyes and rather fair complexion so the auburn hair didn't look artificial. One of my neighbors told me once that a friend of her husband's had referred to me as that good looking redhead across the street.

Another thing... when I got into my 40s and the grays outnumbered the browns I started working my way out of the auburn shades and went to light ash brown, then to ash blonde and finally extra light ash blonde. When my son who was born when I was 40 graduated highschool I let it grow out. I now have totally silver hair. Usually a person in 40s and 50s won't have the skin to go with that gorgeous auburn shade so the hair color needs to be toned down a bit as we get older.

When you change your hair color, your makeup (maquillage) and clothing colors might need changing, too.

The effect will be more subtle on dark brown hair than it will be on lighter hair. Also, be prepared for possible brassiness. I have dark brown hair, and regardless of which red tone I use, it eventually goes brassy. I think the new shampoos for brown/black hair may minimize the problem, but I haven't personally tried it yet. I have switched to henna (which is a 'whole nutha ballgame').

I have dark brown hair and use the Auburn colors and it looks really good. I have quite a bit of gray on my temples and it makes those look like highlights.

Have a Blessed Day!

Wendy Leal

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringAugust 17, 2007
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Painting Walls a Dark Color
Painting Walls a Dark Color
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
🎉
🎄