I live in a mobile home, and we just replaced the insulation under the trailer due to a tornado that we had earlier this year. My son says there is a dark, greenish mold all over the ground. What can I put under there to kill that mold?
I have started being very sick with asthma like symptoms and my doctor said it could be from mold. Wouldn't you just know that most of the stuff is right under my room. I did not know it was there. Thanks for the help.
By Jimmie from Linwood, NC
October 21, 2010
My husband use to set up mobile homes for a living and we have lived in a few. I know there has to be free air circulation under the trailer or mold can grow, so I asked my husband and he said underpinning is usually loose enough to allow for enough air circulation. He believes you have a water leak somewhere. As for the mold, you might have to remove some of the underpinning to help the ground dry out, and Home Depot or Lowe's can probably tell you how to treat it, but of course you will have to check into the water leak thing first. I wouldn't hesitate on checking all this out because mold spreads fast and can end up inside your mobile home. Good luck.
October 23, 2010
Fix the leak first. Then open the skirting to air on a bright sunny day. It should be as windless as possible. If you can't open it up because weather is not good, try a large fan if it is not raining. When you have dried it out, then take a spray bottle filled with two tablespoons of dish washing liquid. Fill the remainder with white vinegar, and spray a fine mist over every area of mold you can see, or think may be there. This will not hurt your pets or kids, but the mold can't live with the vinegar. Spray every area that touches the mobile home to the ground. If spraying upside down does not work, use a rag saturated with the same mixture. Let dry in the sun with good air circulation. Any time you clean use this mixture. It is a good disinfectant and will clean up most stuff.