Recommendations for Dog Grooming Clippers

I am looking to buy a dog grooming clipper. I would like suggestions but nothing over $60. I am not a groomer but I would like to try to keep up with the fur. I am having my 25 pound mutt groomed this week and I priced around and they are pretty much all $50. That is why I want to get a clipper. Any advice? I have been online at Petsmart, Petco, Foster and Smith, and Walmart.

By Sandy63 from Baltimore, MD

I've had several brand clippers for my cockers who have thick, fine, long fur, The cheap clippers do not last long. It is best to invest in a good pair of clippers and blades as cheap blades do not hold their sharpness. I've groomed my own cockers for several years and my Andis AG2 clippers have two speed settings and you can buy quality blades in different sizes.

I don't use all those attachments on clippers when grooming my dogs, so I bought a cheap narrow clipper set for face and ears to get around tight places that should last one or two seasons as blades are not replaceable and I bought it at WalMart for around $10.

I find it necessary to use a blade spray to cool the blades from heating up and bringing discomfort to the dogs.

Always be sure to clean your clippers after each use and oil them to prevent rust on clipper blades too. I wipe the clippers off with a dry paper towel and any excess oil from them and wrap the clippers in the same paper towel before storing away for next use.

One tip when grooming your pets when it gets fidgety is to stop work on one area and go to another area of the dog and then return to finish up. While blades cool down I pet my dog and talk to it and put it on the ground to walk around a couple minutes. This helps to divert the dog's attention for awhile and it's then ready to begin grooming.

When you take your dog to the groomers, there's little time for them to do anything but cut and trim on your pet and your dog may need a few breaks before you've completed the task. I've nothing against groomers. I just preferred to learn how to do the work myself and gain my pet's full trust in their care and I like doing it for them.

The cheaper the clippers the less quality they are. Always buy where you can take the clippers back if they are not working well and get a refund. The deshedder tools work well. Don't be fooled by the grinder kind of nail clippers either...they scare most animals into a fit of biting and scratching. Good Luck! Robyn

You are looking in the pet department, go look at human clippers. My sister grooms dogs and only used the kind you use on humans. Walmart, maybe less than $20.

I suggest EBay or Craigslist, and look for a quality set of clippers at a reasonable price. I'm sure you'll find something on either site. Pat T in Nevada

I found at walmart a "Vidal Sassoon" palm clipper. It's quiet to run.(My dogs do not like buzzing noises) The palm clipper was originally used for men that wanted to be bald. I used mine on a wire terrier dog. His fur was always matted and it helped alot. I paid under $10 for it. Hope this helps.

Look up dog grooming products with instructions for use on google. When you find one you like, see if you can get it on e-bay for much less in perfect new condition. Look at several until you find one that you think you can use easily.

August 18, 2011 Flag

I have a small, long haired dog who is in bad need of a haircut. I have looked around at the dog clippers sold in stores and it is cheaper to go to the dog salon. Does anyone know if you can use the "people" clippers on a pup? Has anyone ever tried it?

By Kate

Hello,

Why don't you have your fur-baby groomed and stay and watch the groomer. Then, you can go buy clippers especially made for trimming dogs. If you watch your groomer she can teach you a few tricks to help you do it at home. Good luck.

Invest in the best dog (not human) clippers you can possibly afford. I bought Oster clippers about 10 years ago and the clippers are still going strong. Never had a problem with them and they are excellent clippers. They did cost me $150 but divide that by 10 years and it comes out to $15 per year.

I have tried people clippers and they do not work well on animals.

You might want to check out www.petedge.com. They do offer pet supplies for a better price than the stores. I have been shopping from them for years. They are an excellent company to deal with and returning a product is never a problem. Don't forget to ask for a catalog. I did buy my Oster clippers them too.

On "Animal Cops", on the Animal Channel, the vets use the buzz clippers to cut long matted hair.

People clippers overheat and stop cutting. They are not meant for dog fur. You need to bite the bullet here I am afraid.

Consumer Advice Product Reviews PetsApril 20, 2009
Long Haired Dachshunds
Grooming Long Haired Dachshunds
Grooming Your Dog, Cocker puppy in a tub with a rubber duckie.
Grooming Your Dog
Cute terrier being combed.
Saving Money on Dog Grooming
Growing Carrots
Growing Carrots
🎄
🍂