Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

How Do I Keep Jays From Raiding Sparrow Nests?

How do you get rid of blue jays that are eating all of the chicks in my birdhouses? I enjoy watching the baby sparrows grow in the birdhouses. Today blue jays arrived and ate all of the chicks.

I know it is life and I eat meat, but I do not want to go to the slaughter houses. Maybe it is time for me to get involved in the food chain. I am an animal lover and know more than the average person about birds, animals, etc. I guess I am just blowing off steam at this moment.

Thank you for reading this. I have nursed many a baby bird and many animals back to life. I am the gut you see pulled over on the side of a busy highway trying to catch a lost dog. I also have pulled over to save a 40 pound snapping turtle.

Eddie

By EddieM from NJ

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By jasmine06/27/2010

If you have sparrows nesting in houses, they are probably House Sparrows. The House sparrow also known as the English sparrow is not native to the US and is an invasive species. It is a fierce competitor of native birds who nest in houses and cavities, and largely detested by birders, farmers, etc. Whereas the Blue jay is a native species, and is protected by US federal law. It is illegal to disturb the Blue jay in any way who is just doing what is natural to feed itself and its offspring.

I have a soft heart, but it's for the Bluebirds and other native cavity nesters, who have fallen victim to the House sparrow (and who also occasionally fall victim to the Blue jay too).

By Lin [3]05/14/2010

Reads like your ideas re: animals are similar to mine. Jays can be led away from eating other birds & babies by giving them an alternate food supply. Basically they are lazy & smart (like humans) when it comes to food close to home territory. Supply them with 'fast foods' peanuts, sunflower seeds, dry cat food, or another protein & carbo in an area you feel is safe & away from nesters. They crave the protein & carbs (healthy diet) cause they have babies to feed & themselves also. They will keep returning to the easy source, it takes lots of energy to raise kids. Expect to attract other birds & wildlife.

By Karen Gestautas05/14/2010

I totally agree with you that it is heartbreaking to watch the blue jays. I have found that Darwin's law does prevail here though. Some of the sparrows that nest in my yard have wised up and nested in houses as opposed to the arborvitae that others prefer. I don't think, aside from scaring them away when you see them, there is anything you can do to prevent this from happening. I am just gratified to hear that there is someone out there that still has a soft heart.