BirdsPest Control

How Do I Keep Jays From Raiding Sparrow Nests?

How do you get rid of blue jays that are eating all of the chicks in my birdhouses? I enjoy watching the baby sparrows grow in the birdhouses. Today blue jays arrived and ate all of the chicks.

I know it is life and I eat meat, but I do not want to go to the slaughter houses. Maybe it is time for me to get involved in the food chain. I am an animal lover and know more than the average person about birds, animals, etc. I guess I am just blowing off steam at this moment.

Thank you for reading this. I have nursed many a baby bird and many animals back to life. I am the gut you see pulled over on the side of a busy highway trying to catch a lost dog. I also have pulled over to save a 40 pound snapping turtle.

Eddie

By EddieM from NJ

I totally agree with you that it is heartbreaking to watch the blue jays. I have found that Darwin's law does prevail here though. Some of the sparrows that nest in my yard have wised up and nested in houses as opposed to the arborvitae that others prefer. I don't think, aside from scaring them away when you see them, there is anything you can do to prevent this from happening. I am just gratified to hear that there is someone out there that still has a soft heart.

I have a nest of what I've concluded are Mockingbirds on the top of the light fixture on my front porch. It's a small porch that I normally sit on alot but they made the nest in like a day and I've not sat there since. I notice that there aren't many birds around anymore and I usually have many birds. I've read that is one of their "traits". They run other birds out. The male sings all night long (at least anytime I go outside after 11 pm. I've gotten to where I do like them. The mama doesn't fly out anymore when she sees me and I park my car in my carport adjacent to the porch. When I open my door and step out, I'm right at the porch. I talk to her everytime I leave and come home. I don't know if the eggs have hatched but she isn't bringing food so I doubt they are. This afternoon I was on my carport talking on the phone and she flew out of the nest and landed within 3 feet of me. She just looked at me for the longest time and then flew to the tree. I don't know what to think of this because she landed on my rose bush beside where I was standing yesterday as well. Is she about to attack me or could she just be curious about me?

I also have 2 Blue Jays around today. My sister was visiting and we were standing right off the carport and the first Blue Jay swooped down and then landed on a limb about 100 feet or so from us and just look at us. It definitely scared me because I they are big compared to the Mockingbird or Wrens around here. Do you think they are going after the nest? How can I stop it from happening if so? I know people don't like Mockingbirds because they run other birds off but I don't want these eggs/hatchlings to be eaten. I've grown fond of the mama. The daddy hasn't been around in 2 days now and do you think the Blue Jays ran him off?

Thanks for reading my long story and I can't believe I've gotten so involved in these birds but I have so I need to learn some things.

I just had a war with 10 Bluejays trying to kill all the babies of Robins that nest in my yard. The Robins started to yell and I grabbed my garden hose...they don't like being sprayed. It took 45 minutes but they're gone. The Robins watched and when the jays were flying away they gave a short chase.

I can't stand watching those aggressive birds eating baby birds. So try the garden hose, it works

Reads like your ideas re: animals are similar to mine. Jays can be led away from eating other birds & babies by giving them an alternate food supply. Basically they are lazy & smart (like humans) when it comes to food close to home territory. Supply them with 'fast foods' peanuts, sunflower seeds, dry cat food, or another protein & carbo in an area you feel is safe & away from nesters. They crave the protein & carbs (healthy diet) cause they have babies to feed & themselves also. They will keep returning to the easy source, it takes lots of energy to raise kids. Expect to attract other birds & wildlife.

Anonymous

Sparrows are pest birds, not native and not protected. If you do research you will find that they kill our native song birds including birds much larger than they are. Blue jays, bluebirds, swallows and robins. Since sparrows moved into our back yards we rarely see our beautiful songbirds. Male sparrows are unbelievably aggressive. Do not feel sorry for these little terrorists.

If you have sparrows nesting in houses, they are probably House Sparrows. The House sparrow also known as the English sparrow is not native to the US and is an invasive species. It is a fierce competitor of native birds who nest in houses and cavities, and largely detested by birders, farmers, etc. Whereas the Blue jay is a native species, and is protected by US federal law. It is illegal to disturb the Blue jay in any way who is just doing what is natural to feed itself and its offspring.

I have a soft heart, but it's for the Bluebirds and other native cavity nesters, who have fallen victim to the House sparrow (and who also occasionally fall victim to the Blue jay too).

I just had a war with 10 Blue Jays that were trying to kill all the baby Robins in my yard. I used a garden hose, they hate it and can't fly when wet. It took 45 minutes for me to show them they weren't wanted but the entire flock left my street. There were at least 30 in total when they took off.