FlowersGardening

Slow Growing Flower

What is a slow growing flower, annual, that doesn't get to high in height for the front of a headstone? Thanks!

Judy from OH

For planting in front of a headstone, I would recommend geraniums, marigolds and/or petunias. None are difficult to grow nor have any special upkeep requirements.... except water and sun. Bonus: Marigolds will usually reseed themselves and come back next year.

Pansy's don't get tall and look very pretty. 4' clocks are another good choice. Voilets would do well but need some shade. Marigolds are nice and very bright colored. Nasturiums are low growing and colorful too. You might consider doing a mix of flowers for a variety of colors. You might also consider silk flowers if you have a rainy area and they last longer.

I don't know why you want to plant them in front of a headstone but I am sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is.

Hi Judy

I know that thyme is not an annual but it is a tidy creeping plant that smells nice, comes in many varieties with a choice of nice flower and leaf colors. It doesn't require much maintenance or watering.

Judy:

Moss Roses are fast growing but have a long blooming season. Is that what you're looking for? It is a creeping annual only a few inches tall. They are very easy to grow and extremely hardy. Mine reseeded themselves for years. No fragrance, unfortunately. You can buy seeds at hardware stores, drug stores, dollar stores --almost any where. Hope this helps. So sorry for your loss.

Joan

The Wave Petunia......flowers all summer, no deadheading required, will spread out, but not grow tall and leggy like a normal petunia...excellent in your zone....I think you'll be happy with this plant for infront of the Headstone....bye

Hm-m-m-m, I thought that geraniums, marigolds and petunias all need to have their spent blooms plucked off regularly or they go to seed and die?

I wished they were that easy to grow. I'd plant something like ajuga, creeping phlox, or begonias.

Their faithful in my yard and easy to grow. God bless you for the thought and memory. : )