Planting a Flower Garden

Category Flowers
Pre-planning and proper flower selection for you zone and exposures will make planting your flower garden easier and more successful. This is a guide about planting a flower garden.

When planning your annuals for your garden, leave a section for all yellow flowers as a tribute to our troops. You could even plant a red, white, and blue section surrounded by yellow or put a small flag in the garden.

By 1bettybooper from Festus, MO

Try to arrange plants and decor in odd numbers. In a corner of your yard, using wood, rock, or brick, make a three layer diagonal garden. Ensure that the back has a strong layer of backing.

Plant for every season and make sure there are white plants used sporadically between the other plants. Also different leaves and textures make a lovely fresh and refreshing three layer garden.

By Bev from Chilliwack, BC

We just moved a shed out and now I have a bare 9x13 spot that I'd like to make into a flower garden. I want to plant flowers that will follow one another through 2 or 3 seasons, but I can't seem to find any help or plans online. I'm probably not using the right search terms, but I'm at a loss as to what search terms to use or where to look. Anybody have any ideas?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

By Anna from IN

Answers

Sorry, didn't mean for my email signature to be added to the post!

Have you tried searching for "re seeding flowers" ?A lot of info there, good luck.

I'm not interested in flowers that re-seed. I'm interested in a 3 season flower garden.

If you look in different garden seed catalogs, they usually have a few garden plans. I looked on the website for Spring Hill Nursery, Four Seasons Nursery and Farmer Seed and Nursery, and found these plans, plus more. In the "product search" box, I just typed in, "shade garden", "sun garden", or "season garden", and these are some of the plans that came up.

Hope this helps!

http://springhi  -garden/p/65034/
http://springhi  -garden/p/76515/

http://www.4sea  ge=1&header=
http://www.farm  ail.asp?pid=7741

http://www.farm  ail.asp?pid=7394

When is the best time to plant white rock?

Answers

Are you talking about Rock Cress Plants? If so you can start them 6 weeks before your last frost if started indoors and early spring if you are planting them directly outside.

Fall is always the best time to plant. The roots get a chance to get stronger and survive the heat of summer.

I am not sure what hardiness zone I am, but I need advice on how to prepare garden beds for spring planting. Right now there are weeds growing in a north facing flower bed that gets partial shade. I am in northern Ohio, not by the lake.

By cara from Kent, OH

Answers

Take a yard fork and mix the soil really good. Apply either weed sheets or newspapers to your beds, then add mulch. You don't need fertilizer but you need to ensure that you jiggle the roots of the plants that you are planting. When planting new plants, dig a hole 1/5 times the size of the plant. Put top soil at the bottom of the hole, then a little bit of water, then the plant with its roots separated. Put top soil around the plant and cover until the base of the plant. The top soil is needed so that the roots can grab on to something that is loose as opposed to caked on dirt that has been there before. Water your plant again and let it be for about 2 days. Then water again and let it be for another 2 days. You should then be able to see if the leaves have perked up and if the plant is settled into its new home. Make sure you water the base of the plant and not the leaves. Cover the plant with mulch. You can prepare your flower beds for practically nothing as long as you work with both the location of the plant and the plant itself. The cheapest top soil is sold at KMart for $0.99 for 40 lbs and it is better than the more expensive kinds. Good luck!

What flowers or seeds can I sow in June?

By Laura

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description

This is the garden my 9 year old daughter and I started. Her grandpa made the garden tubs to get the plants started.

Photo Location
My home in Florida

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

This is a shot of part of my garden. I enjoy sitting out watching the birds and bees flitting about from flower to flower, very soothing!

By linn

Flower Garden

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7