Growing Peruvian Daffodil (Spider Flower, Basket Lily)

Category Bulbs
These bulbs can grow well in containers outdoors when soil is kept moist and they are fed a slow-release fertilizer from spring until fall. This page is about growing Peruvian Daffodil (Spider Flower, Basket Lily).

Botanical Name: Hymenocallis narcissiflora
Life Cycle: perennial bulb
Planting Time: fall
Height: 24"
Exposure: full sun to light shade
Soil: average to rich, well-drained soil
Hardiness: hardy to zones 8-10 unless protected over winter
Bloom Time: spring
Flower: white fragrant flowers with green stripes; flower are very showy with intricate white cups surrounded by 6 elongated spider like leaves.
Foliage: long, green leaves below leafless flower stalks.
Propagation: bulbs
Suggested Use: beds, borders, groundcover plantings, walkways and garden paths
Growing Hints: Plant bulbs outdoors in the spring or fall, 3 to 5 inches deep and spaced 12 to 15 inches apart. Gardeners in northern zones should plant bulbs outdoors in the spring when temperatures stay above 60ºF. Zones with shorter season may want to consider starting plants indoors. When the threat of fall frost is near, dig up bulbs and prepare them for winter storage. Lay bulbs out in a cool, dry location until leaves wither. Cut off withered leaves and store bulbs tip-side-down in dry peat moss or vermiculite at temperatures between 65º and 70ºF. Propagate in fall from the small bulbs that develop at the base of large ones. Zones 8-10 may need to divide plants every 4 to 5 years to keep them looking good.
Interesting Facts: These plants also grow well in containers outdoors when soil is kept moist and they are fed a slow-release fertilizer from spring until fall. Move plants to a well-lit room for the winter and reduce watering.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

This flower is a bulb that I planted this spring. I was very excited to see how beautiful that it was when it bloomed. It's very different than anything that I have ever planted before, but I'm so glad that I planted it!

By one.of.a.kind

Comment Like this photo? 12

Photo Description
Here is another flower worthy of mention on the ThriftyFun web site, because it is in keeping with the ThriftyFun spirit.

It's name is Hymenocallis festalis.

Note: Botanists and taxonomists have a peculiar bent in that they seem to thoroughly enjoy assigning names to plants that allude to a female's 'private parts'. That's how the flower 'Clitoria' got it's name. They have a penchant for doing the same with the private parts of a male, but we won't persue that, just now (maybe never).

We can thank botanist Richard Anthony Salisbury for giving us the name of the plant pictured here. He tells us the name 'Hymenocallis festalis' refers to the "beautiful membrane' which connects the filaments. (Control yourself, Doug. Don't insert that hilarious thought you just had).

OK. Back to sanity. The common name for this flower is 'Peruvian Daffodil'. Shall we go with that? It is native to, among other places, Peru, and though it is a member of the Amaryllis family, it does somewhat resemble a daffodil.

As you can see, I took these pictures near dusk. That's when I noticed my first flower of the year. It's also the best time to indulge in it's wonderful perfume. The House of Dior can only dream of developing a fragrance this delicious.

Oh, back to the ThriftyFun spirit. Three years ago, I purchased a discounted bag of three bulbs for a buck. As you can see, they have multiplied rather nicely. Soon, I'll be giving some away. Sharing is one of my most favorite parts of gardening.

Photo Location
My home in NC

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

Photo Description
I was doing some early morning weeding when this beauty caught my eye. And of course it should be a beauty, it's a member of the Amaryllis family. My first bloom of the year, it will be followed by many more.

About three years ago, I bought 3 bulbs. Now I have well over a hundred. They do multiply rapidly. Primarily found in Central America, they are tropical plants.

Thank goodness for some plant's ability to go dormant. This allows me to lift the bulbs of this flower commonly known as 'Peruvian Daffodil', store them over winter, and start them outside in containers, again in the spring.

The flower has a delicious and heady perfume, reminiscent of a scent offered by one of the old established houses of Paris, circa 1940.

Photo Location
My back yard. Yes!

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

Hymenocallis festalis, the Peruvian daffodil, is a tropical, bulb bearing plant. When grown in the temperate regions, the bulbs must be lifted from the soil and stored indoors for the winter.

daffodil bulbs stored in a panty hose leg

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1
Home and Garden Gardening BulbsJune 11, 2013
🎄
🍂