Growing Alstroemeria

Lavender freesia in the front yard. Most are white right now. I saw a red one open in The Path Garden today.

The Alstroemeria is a new one and this is the first bloom. Hoping for rain to help with the water bill. Tomorrow, it is supposed to be 80s and windy, which dries the garden faster. I hope to get out and water early.

By Vi Johnson from Moorpark, CA

4 Questions

I am interested in planting perennials this year and have found a beautiful plant called "Alstroemeria". Can anyone provide me with info on this flowering plant and whether it can be planted in my zone in central Louisiana. As well as upkeep and so forth.

Nelwyn from Bunkie, LA

Answers

This is the flower that you see in so many flower arrangements made by florists - they love it! I hope you have great luck with it. God bless you!

When you google it again, try spelling it 'alstroemeria'. Hope that helps.

Hi there.
Those are some of my favorite flowers! They are also known as Peruvian lilies.
They come in many different colors, from white to deep maroon, to yellow, to pink, and lots of colors.
I found some good information on the NC State University website here:
www.ces.ncsu.edu/.../alstroemeria.html
They are hardy in your zone, they should grow quite nicely.
Stop into a nursery. The people that work there will have an abundance of information, and it will be relevant to your geographic area.
Also, there's a site called Daves Garden that has great gardening information as well. When we moved into our house, I didn't know my daffodils from my hostas. Now, I do! There are lots of pictures on Daves, too.
Have fun gardening!

Anonymous

I am trying to find the same information, and much to my surprise, the question was asked from another Nelwyn!

Answer this Question

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

The first flower bloomed this week. A lily that DD gave me. The second is the newest Alstroemeria called "Navajo Princess".

Maroon and gold lily.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

Hubby's sense of humor at work in the garden again. These Alstroemeria are small. I was told they are miniature (a gift from daughter-in-law). They are good bloomers here in Southern California.

Small red flowering plants.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening FlowersDecember 21, 2013
🎉
😷
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Growing-Alstroemeria.html