Getting Rid Of Odors In Apartment

A renter moved out and let us with an horrible odor. We think the dog used the apartment as a big litter box. Any idea on what we need to use on the floors and baseboards?

Janice from Murfreesboro, TN

Lay some newspaper on the floor then put some charcoal briquets on top of the newspaper. I did this when my car got full of smoke from a forest fire and it took the smoke smell right out.

If the smell is from animal urine or feces you will need to use an enzyme cleaner. Otherwise you will only be masking the smell for a while. I bought some great stuff from my vet called Bio-Matic. It was expensive, but worth every penny! I used a black light to locate the stains and then sprayed them with the Bio-Matic. Our cats had a peeing contest and then the dog got involved! Animals will go back and resoil if the stain is not completely removed. This stuff really works!

Grandma Jan

Pinesol !!! It gives detailed directions for full strength and diluted use on the back of the bottle ... If there is carpeting both it and the padding should be replaced because that odor never comes out and if the next tenant has a sensitive nose or allergies it would not be right to not replace and especially since the odor in the apartment is as bad as you mention ... Be sure to Pinesol clean the flooring before the new carpeting is put down ... As a former landlord, I speak from experience ...

There is a product sold out here in California, called, "SIMPLE SOLUTION". This is for stains and odors vomit, urine, hairballs, food stains, removers. And it really works. Pet stores uses it all over there stores. My husband worked in one for a while. So now we buy it and use it. We have one dog upstairs and three cats that live in the basement. Our house smell cery good and clean, according to guest. You can go on line and look for it if you can't find it at www.simplesolution.com. I got this from the back of the bottle.

Honestly, I've used all the Simple Solution products, simple green, pinesol, etc... The two things that I found worked best are a product by simple solution actually made for cats that is called Nature's Miracle Orange-Oxy power, and then Odo-Ban afterwards.

The first is enzymatic but particularly strong and made for cat clean up. I had to clean up a concrete floor where the scents soaked in and I had tried the other and it still smelled funky. This combination really cleaned the scent away!

I attended a candle party last night and one girl said to burn eucalyptus candles and it would eliminate the odors. She used it for getting rid of cigarette smoke smell but it might work for you too. When we bought our house it too smelled of dog urine. We ended up having to paint all the woodwork with KILZ primer. We also ripped up the carpet and painted the sub-floor with two or three coats of the KILZ and it removed all of the smell. Good luck!

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsAugust 15, 2008
Guy holding his nose because of bad odors.
Getting Rid of Mildew Odors in a House
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
An street with an "Apartment For Rent" sign.
Renting an Apartment
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
🎄
🍂