Cheaper Medicine for Dog With Seizures

We have an Australian Shepherd who has seizures. He is now 4 yrs old. He is on large dosages of phenobarbital, 10 tablets a day, and 800 mg of potassium bromide. The vet wants to see him quite often. Each visit costs from 150 to 225 dollars. I don't want to sound cheap, but is there a more cost effective way to buy his medicine, and to get blood tests?

Rusty from Kansas City, MO

Is there a veternary teaching hospital near you? If so, it may be able to do things at a much reduced price.

For pain, my vet recommended Ascriptin, an over-the-counter buffered aspirin for my dog with arthritis. Works as well as the very expensive vet. medicine.

I work for a Veterinarian and I can advise you NOT to give any form of aspirin to your k9 unless your Veterinarian tells you to. Please find out what pharamaceutical company makes your phenobarb and call them and ask if they have a discount policy...some do. Ask your Vet if he/she can give you a discount for return visits and lab fees as they are quite expensive. Don't be afraid to ask. At our hospital we try and work with our clients so we can provide the best treatment possible for their fur baby.

Good luck....

Is there a less expensive vet that you could take the dog to? Also, we had a Collie that had seizures and we were told that we could fill her phenobarbital prescription at any regular pharmacy as well. Call around and check prices. Good luck! I know how horribly painful it is to watch our sweet, beloved pets go through such torture!

My beloved dog has been going through chemotherapy for over a year, not only is that expensive but so are her endless medicines. I found that and DrsFosterandSmith sell her prescriptions for a fraction of the cost. Her oncologist will phone in the prescriptions. I have saved several thousand dollars doing this.

Good luck, I know how expensive these types of illnesses can become.

Northern Virginia

Pets Dogs HealthMarch 12, 2008
Medicine Dropper
Uses for Medicine Droppers
Empty Pill Bottles
Craft Ideas for Used Medicine or Pill Bottles
Saving Money on Medicine
Saving Money on Medicine
Organized Medicine Cabinet
Organizing a Medicine Cabinet