Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Recipes for Patient with Kidney Disease- ESRD

My 18 year old daughter was just diagnosed with ESRD (end stage renal disease). She is on dialysis 3 times weekly. I'm making the same foods over and over. I need new ideas! She loves potatoes and has to be limited to once weekly. I do leach them. Need kid friendly recipes.

By Bev from Butler, OH

By Bev [2]06/05/2010

Thanks for all your help. She only has 4% of her kidneys working. She is lucky to be young and to receive a transplant. She has living donors that are being tested now. I sit with her in dialysis and my heart breaks for all the people there that have other health issues that deny them that oportunity. I pray for every single one of them.

By Maryeileen [76]06/04/2010

Ask her doctor and if he/she can't help you, ask for a referral to a nutritionist/dietician.

By Bonnie Varga [18]06/04/2010

Try da vita.com. You can access all sorts of recipes for people w/kidney disease on dialysis, or with kidney disease but not on dialysis. They'll even develop a specific menu based on your numbers if you send then a copy of a script from your doctor. It's all free & it's been a big help to me, my husband is a diabetic with kidney disease and other complications. Good luck!

By Grandma J [46]06/04/2010

Her potato desire can be changed up. I know it is the potassium content they watch. Try raw sweet potatoes, peel part of it, slice it like chips. You can eat small amounts of it and be happy. Don't need a dip. My granddaughters call it sweet-o-carrots. Find out what herbs can be put into foods for her. That is such a good change up. I am diabetic, needing a weight loss, and potatoes were my friend too. I get them about 2-3 times a month now. Find I don't exactly crave them.

You can cook cauliflower and mash like potatoes. Food does not have to look like it has for centuries. You can change out recipes/styles, etc. I find if I use a pinch of cinnamon on things, it gives special meaning to what I can have! And the flavor makes me think I had something forbidden! Find a local food coop near you, they may help with finding food and menus. Our local one works with those who have allergies, etc. Esp great for moms and kids. Good luck!

By bonnie [10]06/03/2010

Yes: My husband has renal disease also and has 10% of kidneys working do you know what % your daughter has? At least she is young enough to have a transplant.

By jill [9]06/03/2010

I just did a search online for recipes for kidney disease and there are a lot of sites with some good recipes. You might want to try that and see what you can find. My best wishes for your daughter and hopefully good health to her in the future.