Browsing: Home Remedies for Foot Calluses

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Home Remedies for Foot Calluses

Dry hard calluses on your feet are uncomfortable. This is a guide about home remedies for foot calluses.

Calluses on Feet
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 19, 2015 Flag

I am a pastry chef so I am on my feet for hours everyday. Not only do I work, but I commute via public transportation to school and back. The past 3 years have been rough on my feet. I have thick calluses on the bottoms of both feet. I could wear the most comfortable shoes, but at the end of the night I'm walking in pain because of my calluses. It feels like both feet have been dragged/scrapped against pavement. Please can anyone help me out? I use to have smooth beautiful feet. Now my feet are just disgusting and the pain is horrible.

calluses on foot
Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

See a podiatrist for orthotics, most definitely! Buy the best walking shoes you can afford, from a store that specializes in athletic shoes. Many times the salesperson will have specific training to match you with the best shoe for your feet and for your job. Be sure to ask what kind of mileage to expect (shoes have mileage, just like tires) and be prepared to replace them when they wear out. Many times the upper part of the shoe is still in good condition, but the support you need from the soles is gone. I stand all day and I replace my shoes about every 6 months because, if I don't, I start having foot, knee, hip, and back pain.

I agree. I would see a podiatrist, as it looks to me that your shoes are not fitting properly. You likely need an orthotic insert. It made a world of difference in my shoes. Also, I wonder at the quality of socks that you are wearing. I have thick calluses when wear sandals, but far fewer problems when I am wearing good socks and shoes.

Read More Answers...

January 27, 2010 Flag

I use a styrofoam sanding block to buff off the dried dead skin from the bottom of my feet. It's best to use them after bathing or showering while your feet are softer. It's best to slightly wet the sanding block as well. Sanding blocks are less expensive, more coarse, and last longer than the coarse finger nail files that I've used. In addition, they leave your feet feeling very soft and smooth.

By anorman from Williamsport, TN

October 5, 2010 Flag

I tend to use duct tape to splint my fingers when they need a bandage that lasts through dish washing. I eventually discovered that if you put a piece over a clean toe where there is a callous, by the end of the day the skin is softer. I have only ever had one problem using duct tape, and that is when I left it on as a splint on a broken finger for more than a day without taking it off and it got infected. Even the doctor I went to said it was not the duct tape that caused the infection.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton TN

June 6, 2011 Flag

I have calluses a half inch thick on the bottom of both my feet, the whole bottom of my foot is covered with it. How can I get them to go away without cutting them off with a knife, like I've been doing?

I have had them my whole life and have never seen anyone else have them like this. Both my girls have it too, but my parents don't! Were did this come from and how do I get rid of it?

By Chris S.

Noxzema. Rub on feet in the morning and when you go to bed. Rub it in and put sox on. I did this and all my calluses turned yellow and wiped off with a wash rag. It will take a couple of months of applications. My feet are smooth now. It even got rid of my toe nail fungus.

My sister had calluses on the bottom of her feet and she had hammertoes come to find out the callus came from her toes trying to protrude from the bottom of her feet most of her life... she recently had foot surgery to break and reset her toes the calluses have dissipated.

Read More Answers...

April 27, 2007 Flag

With warm weather finally here, I've started wearing sandals, but my feet are extremely dry and rough, especially my heels. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to soften feet and get them ready for summer? I've also got some calluses that need some attention! I can't afford a pedicure so have to do it myself.

Linda from Alabaster, Alabama

Noxzema,is really good for softening your feet,not just for the face anymore!!!

Hi there. I broke my ankle last year, and the podiatrist really opened my eyes about a few things. first off, according to him, lots of people get fungal or skin infections from pedicures. Probably fine if you go to a good place, but you may be better off doin it yourself! You can get a kit of pedicure equipment, often with directions, and use it over and over again to save money. Be very careful about rough mechanical skin removal if you have diabetes or tend to suffer from infections. The heel thing is common (I'm almost an RN) and the build up of dead skin there can lead to heel pain, where it hurts a moment or two when you get up to walk, causing a slight limp. That's not the dead skin directly, but the way it shifts how your shoes fit and the damage done deep in the heel of the foot. The skin that builds up, anywhere on the foot, is actually protective from some irritation. Check your shoes, before you remove the build up of skin or calouses so that you don't develp blisters instead. Again, if you have any history of diabetes or sores that heal slowly, infections etc, don't be too rough with your feet. Actually, open shoes should be rarely worn if you have diabetes or circulation issues affecting your feet, so maybe you already are clear of that issue. There are som fun books out there on how to do your own pedicure. The other thing is to use alcohol first on all equipment, even if it's just yours. The reason is that in the unlikely event that you damage your tissue, or cut yourself with the equipment it's already clean. You can transmit disease, some very serious, with shared equiment. Same reason, tiny bits of tissue or blood.

I know, it's all medical and you were looking for more fun stuff. But it is fun, more so, when you know you won't hurt yourself. And it's actually lucky you cant' go somewhere else, less risk of complications! Have a good time!

Read More Answers...

March 3, 2015 Flag

I am type 2 diabetic and bought an Emjoi Micro-Pedi foot file. It runs on two AA batteries and has been a relief. I find that if I soak my feet in hot water with a 1 cup of apple cider vinegar and then use the micro-pedi while my feet are not quite dry but mostly dry, I can get most of them off.

It took a while to figure it out. Tonight, I used the micro-pedi and my calluses are not as bad as they were yesterday. It will take a few treatments and hopefully they will not be so bad. Sorry that I have not put pics of my feet up, but I hate my feet right now and am embarrassed to post a pic of them. LOL

February 25, 2012 Flag

What will remove a callous naturally?

By Cindy

You will find that using a pumice stone or file for removing calluses works much better when your feet are dry.

I use a foot file from WalMart. In the beauty section, it is about 10 inches long with part of it covered by an abrasive. It works fast and makes your feet look and feel wonderful.

Read More Answers...

May 22, 2009 Flag

Does anyone know of a natural remedy for a callous on the bottom of my foot? It is on my left foot, on the left side which makes it hard to reach. I tried soaking it in Epsom salts. Thank you.

By Pamela from Sun Lakes, AZ

One more post ;-) I have a cousin who uses bag balm and he loves it for daily use for soothing his skin and keeping dryness at bay but it does not remove the callouses so he uses the Active oil and pumice paddle once a week.

You don't need to go to a farm supply to purchase bag balm because you can buy it at most pharmacies, some super size stores like Wal-Mart and online.

As a diabetic, I have to take special care of my feet. I bought a "stone" at the pharmacy that is slightly less coarse than pumice. Every morning I just rub it on the places where calluses form on my feet, and then apply a store-brand deep moisturizing cream and then my socks. Most of the foot creams are very expensive (to me, anyway), so I came up with the stone, instead. It's safer to use than the pads, rasps or files out there. As someone posted before me, you can remove too much skin and that just opens up another whole box of aggravation.

In the summer, I try to go barefoot outdoors as much as possible, which naturally removes the calluses. Of course I have to pay attention to where I'm walking, but the lawn and driveway are pretty safe and it's nice to feel the cool grass under my feet. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

March 13, 2011 Flag

Is there a way to permanently remove callouses? Also is it better to use a pumice stone or shave them?

Load More
Health & Beauty Home RemediesFebruary 20, 2012
Dog's paw, showing pads.
Remedies for Your Pet's Dry Feet
Sweating Feet
Remedies for Sweating Feet
Stinky Feet on Hardwood Floor
Remedies for Stinky Feet
dry heel on foot
Home Remedies for Dry or Cracked Feet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 11:28:09 PM on 10.0.0.77 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.