Home Remedies for Foot Calluses

Dry hard calluses on your feet are uncomfortable. This is a guide about home remedies for foot calluses.

Calluses on Feet
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I am a pastry chef so I am on my feet for hours everyday. Not only do I work, but I commute via public transportation to school and back. The past 3 years have been rough on my feet. I have thick calluses on the bottoms of both feet. I could wear the most comfortable shoes, but at the end of the night I'm walking in pain because of my calluses. It feels like both feet have been dragged/scrapped against pavement. Please can anyone help me out? I use to have smooth beautiful feet. Now my feet are just disgusting and the pain is horrible.

calluses on foot
    AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree. I would see a podiatrist, as it looks to me that your shoes are not fitting properly. You likely need an orthotic insert. It made a world of difference in my shoes. Also, I wonder at the quality of socks that you are wearing. I have thick calluses when wear sandals, but far fewer problems when I am wearing good socks and shoes.

Read More Answers...

I use a styrofoam sanding block to buff off the dried dead skin from the bottom of my feet. It's best to use them after bathing or showering while your feet are softer. It's best to slightly wet the sanding block as well. Sanding blocks are less expensive, more coarse, and last longer than the coarse finger nail files that I've used. In addition, they leave your feet feeling very soft and smooth.

By anorman from Williamsport, TN

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I tend to use duct tape to splint my fingers when they need a bandage that lasts through dish washing. I eventually discovered that if you put a piece over a clean toe where there is a callous, by the end of the day the skin is softer. I have only ever had one problem using duct tape, and that is when I left it on as a splint on a broken finger for more than a day without taking it off and it got infected. Even the doctor I went to said it was not the duct tape that caused the infection.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton TN

I have calluses a half inch thick on the bottom of both my feet, the whole bottom of my foot is covered with it. How can I get them to go away without cutting them off with a knife, like I've been doing?

I have had them my whole life and have never seen anyone else have them like this. Both my girls have it too, but my parents don't! Were did this come from and how do I get rid of it?

By Chris S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

After years of buying everything on the market for cracked heels I found the solution! First buy Tree Tea oil in the health food or vitamin store and apply it every day until the skin starts to thin. Then purchase some Emu oil and apply it faithfully and it will soften the skin and make your feet look and feel much better. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

With warm weather finally here, I've started wearing sandals, but my feet are extremely dry and rough, especially my heels. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to soften feet and get them ready for summer? I've also got some calluses that need some attention! I can't afford a pedicure so have to do it myself.

Linda from Alabaster, Alabama

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi there. I broke my ankle last year, and the podiatrist really opened my eyes about a few things. first off, according to him, lots of people get fungal or skin infections from pedicures. Probably fine if you go to a good place, but you may be better off doin it yourself! You can get a kit of pedicure equipment, often with directions, and use it over and over again to save money. Be very careful about rough mechanical skin removal if you have diabetes or tend to suffer from infections. The heel thing is common (I'm almost an RN) and the build up of dead skin there can lead to heel pain, where it hurts a moment or two when you get up to walk, causing a slight limp. That's not the dead skin directly, but the way it shifts how your shoes fit and the damage done deep in the heel of the foot. The skin that builds up, anywhere on the foot, is actually protective from some irritation. Check your shoes, before you remove the build up of skin or calouses so that you don't develp blisters instead. Again, if you have any history of diabetes or sores that heal slowly, infections etc, don't be too rough with your feet. Actually, open shoes should be rarely worn if you have diabetes or circulation issues affecting your feet, so maybe you already are clear of that issue. There are som fun books out there on how to do your own pedicure. The other thing is to use alcohol first on all equipment, even if it's just yours. The reason is that in the unlikely event that you damage your tissue, or cut yourself with the equipment it's already clean. You can transmit disease, some very serious, with shared equiment. Same reason, tiny bits of tissue or blood.

I know, it's all medical and you were looking for more fun stuff. But it is fun, more so, when you know you won't hurt yourself. And it's actually lucky you cant' go somewhere else, less risk of complications! Have a good time!

Read More Answers...

I am type 2 diabetic and bought an Emjoi Micro-Pedi foot file. It runs on two AA batteries and has been a relief. I find that if I soak my feet in hot water with a 1 cup of apple cider vinegar and then use the micro-pedi while my feet are not quite dry but mostly dry, I can get most of them off.

It took a while to figure it out. Tonight, I used the micro-pedi and my calluses are not as bad as they were yesterday. It will take a few treatments and hopefully they will not be so bad. Sorry that I have not put pics of my feet up, but I hate my feet right now and am embarrassed to post a pic of them. LOL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What will remove a callous naturally?

By Cindy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use a foot file from WalMart. In the beauty section, it is about 10 inches long with part of it covered by an abrasive. It works fast and makes your feet look and feel wonderful.

Read More Answers...

Does anyone know of a natural remedy for a callous on the bottom of my foot? It is on my left foot, on the left side which makes it hard to reach. I tried soaking it in Epsom salts. Thank you.

By Pamela from Sun Lakes, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

As a diabetic, I have to take special care of my feet. I bought a "stone" at the pharmacy that is slightly less coarse than pumice. Every morning I just rub it on the places where calluses form on my feet, and then apply a store-brand deep moisturizing cream and then my socks. Most of the foot creams are very expensive (to me, anyway), so I came up with the stone, instead. It's safer to use than the pads, rasps or files out there. As someone posted before me, you can remove too much skin and that just opens up another whole box of aggravation.

In the summer, I try to go barefoot outdoors as much as possible, which naturally removes the calluses. Of course I have to pay attention to where I'm walking, but the lawn and driveway are pretty safe and it's nice to feel the cool grass under my feet. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

Is there a way to permanently remove callouses? Also is it better to use a pumice stone or shave them?

By Nancy286 from Sunset Beach, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://www.ehow.com/how_5213797_remove-foot-calluses-feet-soft.html

This procedure is not recommended for those who have been diagnosed with diabetes. If you have diabetes it is best to have a physician care for your feet.

This winter I had problems with my heels being very dry and cracked. I went to Sally's Beauty Supply and purchased an inexpensive foot file. After showering I used the abrasive side of the file and sanded off the dry cracked skin. Then used the smooth side of the file on my heels. Then massaged my feet with foot cream. I've been doing this on a regular basis and now the heels on my feet are very soft and smooth.

I've noticed several people asking about dry skin or calluses and my podiatrist recommended for me corn huskers lotion available at most retailers usually runs about $2 a bottle and a little bit will work. I have used vaseline and while it does work is very messy to use. I also use a corn/callus shaver to trim up the calluses on my feet. This is very safe and inexpensive to use. It is also available at most retailers for around $2-$3 or at Sallies beauty shops.

By imaqt1962

I use a Stridex pad over the calloused area, add Vaseline and a cotton sock before bed. In the morning, my feet are soft and smooth for longer periods than just filing them down.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This foot exfoliant can be used on your feet to help smooth rough calluses.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would like to know if there is an alternative to expensive pedicures (even at the beauty school here they are $20, the salon/esthetician is $30-$60). My feet are very dry and calloused, moisturizing, even using petroleum jelly at night with cotton socks isn't enough. I would love some frugal ideas/solutions to help me solve this beauty issue. Thank You

Cindy from Alberta, Canada

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My feet get calloused in the summer. I have found that the best solution is a medium grit sanding sponge that you purchase in the hardware or home improvement store. It molds to your foot and works especially well on heels. And best of all, the last one I bought was only $1.88! Try it, you will like it!

By Elaine from Iowa

Sanding Sponge for Foot Callouses

What grit do you use? I had this idea ever since I saw the info commercial for that Smooth Away "hair removing and exfoliating" gadget they sell. It looks like a soft piece of sandpaper to me. Thanks (07/14/2009)

By pogrl06

Sanding Sponge for Foot Callouses

I use a medium grade but use whatever grade you want according to how rough your callouses are. (07/15/2009)

By Laniegirl

Sanding Sponge for Foot Callouses

I find that sanding off the callouses when your feet are dry is the best thing. I used to do it after my shower or bath, but it is much more effective before. I use a small scraper from the drug store, never wears out. (07/15/2009)

By louel53

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have calluses and corns in many areas on the soles of both my feet. I am looking for a home remedy to cure me of this problem and to prevent further calluses.

Michael

Home Remedy For Foot Callouses

I can also get callouses, but here's how I prevent them:

Do this at least once a week whenever you bathe or shower. Do it towards the end of your bath or shower when the skin on your feet is the softest, because it is saturated with water. Just take your finger nails and rake them (fairly firmly) over the bottoms and sides of your feet to scrape off the dead skin. You'll need to press fairly firmly to get down under the wet softened skin. If you have no finger nails, a butter knife will also work. You only need to do this once a week, but if you do it every time you bathe, it will be easier and more effective. I'm always amazed at how much old dead skin comes off. This may sound too easy to actually work, but it works for me and now my feet are as soft as can be with absolutely no callouses.

You can also take plain table sugar or salt and use this to scrub your feet. This will exfoliate all of that old dead skin that builds up on your feet. When I see those TV commercials for the "Ped Egg" I always think "Why don't they just use their fingernails or sugar to take off the layers of callouses when the skin is soft, wet, and saturated, instead of scraping it off when the feet are dry and the callouses are already hard?". (08/15/2008)

By Cyinda

Home Remedy For Foot Callouses

Far cheaper than the overhyped Ped Egg and far more effective than foot files, just buy a cheap 99-cent emery board at your local drug store. Works better than anything I've ever tried! (08/15/2008)

By WildIrish

Home Remedy For Foot Callouses

I like to use Flexitol Foot Balm. Follow the directions and it will slowly moisten the cracks and keep it smooth if used when needed to maintain the soft skin. Once in a while I need a boost from a good foot file (emery board for feet). Doing it while dry first, gently, then while showering when the skin is soft is helpful. I then use Flexitol Heel Balm after showering, putting on cotton socks so as not to slip with the moistened feet. You can find it at Walmart. Good luck with the healing. (08/17/2008)

By Dollparts

Home Remedy For Foot Calluses

I use Vicks for fungal infections under my toenails and just started smearing it all over my feet. It refreshes them, too, but I noticed it softened up the callouses as well. (08/19/2008)

By Joyce

Home Remedy For Foot Calluses

I use a product called "Udderly Smooth Udder Cream". I'm always amazed at how much softer my feet are in the morning after even just one application. I get it mine at WalMart, but I've also gotten it online at drugstore.com. Yes, it really is what the farmers use on their cow's udders. (08/23/2008)

By Bette

Home Remedy For Foot Calluses

I use the Ped Egg after a shower then wipe 2% salicylic acid on my feet in the form of acne pads. Coat your feet with Vaseline to keep the salicylic acid moist. Wear socks to bed and use this for four days to see an obvious difference. (12/05/2008)

By Dana

Home Remedy For Foot Calluses

Apply Dr. Miracle's Hot Grow Hair Grease. Apply to callous and feet, after bath/shower and before bed. (12/31/2008)

By Claudia

Home Remedy For Foot Calluses

Go to Wal-mart and get some Johnson's Foot Soap. This will work. I use one pack for each foot, and it makes my whole foot soft for weeks. I also use this on my elbows. It said on the box you can bathe in it. It's in an orange and white box. It's really good stuff. I have really cracked heels and this does the trick. Oh yea, and after that you might want to try putting Emu oil on it instead of lotion. (01/13/2009)

By Nee

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have some callouses on the side of my foot and underneath and on my toes. I have more than six years having the same problem. I tried to soak my feet and removing them but they keep coming back. Sometimes when I put on closed shoes they become white. I'm too shy to show my foot. What can I do? I have tried sally hensen product, no use. What can help me to renew my skin?

Charity

Home Remedy For Foot Callouses

If you have callouses the cause is improper fitting shoes. The foot rub against high areas on the shoes and the skin forms hard spots that with constant rubbing turn into callouses. You could try the home remedies given by other posters or see a podiatrist who deal with these problems.
      (08/01/2008)

By Harry

Home Remedy For Foot Callouses

I recently bought a Ped Egg (or maybe pedi egg). It's one of those as seen on TV items but they sell it at Walmart, the grocery store, even Bed, Bath and Beyond. It's worked wonders for removing my callouses. However, I know mine are caused from not wearing shoes in the summer and not from a dietary problem, fungus, or other medical issue. (08/01/2008)

By

Home Remedy For Foot Callouses

I've had thick Calluses all my life. Was once told by doctor it was hereditary and my father had the same problem. I got a PED EGG from Walmart too and I love it! My feet have never been as soft and callous free as they are now. I'm glad they have refills for them too. I've never had any other issues with my feet except for the calluses. (08/01/2008)

By Kreatvmuzk1111

Home Remedy For Foot Callouses

This link will reveal a type of whetstone used to remove calluses on feet and is low cost to purchase. Good luck.

http://www.naturalwhetstone.com/productssharpening3.htm (08/01/2008)

By Lorelei

Home Remedy For Foot Callouses

I have good luck rubbing my callouses when my feet are dry. I just use an inexpensive callous remover purchased from the drug store. Using this on my feet when they were dry was much more effective than after a shower when the callouses were soft. Be careful not to take off too much or your feet will be too tender. I get callouses from going barefoot or in sandals in the summer time. (08/03/2008)

By louel53

Home Remedy For Foot Callouses

I always wear quality well fitting shoes because I can't stand to be uncomfortable. I have calluses anyway. Sometimes the callus on the ball of my foot (I don't wear high heels either) gets so thick that where it meets the soft skin it develops a crack that is very painful. Soaking my feet is a must, and using a foot file. Any kind you like will do. The best cream I have found, and I have used many, is Avon's Intensive Callus Cream. Use this every night and your feet will improve rapidly. BUT, you have to use it every night! It works better than other brands, better than Vaseline, and better than Bag Balm. It tends to be a seasonable product. So I stock up during the summer so that I have it year round. (08/04/2008)

By Lynn Beth

Home Remedy For Foot Callouses

Mexico for a week made my calloused feet look like a gorilla's feet. The ONLY solution to calloused feet is to smear them with honey, real honey, wrap in plastic, put on socks and sleep all night. Wash off in the am and you have beautiful feet. (08/13/2008)

By Gail

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
      CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Health & Beauty Home RemediesFebruary 20, 2012
      Dog's paw, showing pads.
      Remedies for Your Pet's Dry Feet
      Sweating Feet
      Remedies for Sweating Feet
      Stinky Feet on Hardwood Floor
      Remedies for Stinky Feet
      dry heel on foot
      Home Remedies for Dry or Cracked Feet
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 6:09:40 PM on 10.0.1.167 in 251 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.