Cleaning Grease Off Wallpaper

I recently bought a mobile home and the people who lived there before me never cleaned the walls. I do not wish to paint over the kitchen, but do not know how to take off the grease without ruining the wallpaper. Any Ideas?

Allison from New York

Best Answer

I have used Greased Lightning with success. I buy it at Wal-Mart but know it's available other places as well. Be sure to try it on an inconspicuous place first as it definitely takes paint off some surfaces, so it may damage your paper.

Good luck,

Kathy

Best Answer

You might also try Murphy's Oil Soap. It works for cleaning the whole house. My parents had the same problem in their trailor behind the stove. It's tough to get out.

Best Answer

It may be way too late for the original questioner, but this may help others who come to this question. I have cleaned greasy wallpaper with cheap white bread. Just rub it with a piece of bread held like an eraser until it has soaked up the grease and dirt. Throw the slice away and start with a fresh piece as often as necessary. If there is a lot of grease, use pads of paper towels and a WARM iron to leach the grease from the paper first.

Maybe this is a dumb suggestion, but have you tried blotting it with a very slightly damp cloth? You don't want to rub at it, but you might be able to get a fair amount off just by soaking it up on to a cloth. Most wallpaper can survive a little water. I suppose you could also blot it with a cloth in rubbing alcohol, which will take the finish off things, but will leave colors untouched (usually). As always, try in a corner you're covering with something.