Cleaning Grease Off Wallpaper

I recently bought a mobile home and the people who lived there before me never cleaned the walls. I do not wish to paint over the kitchen, but do not know how to take off the grease without ruining the wallpaper. Any Ideas?

Allison from New York

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

I have used Greased Lightning with success. I buy it at Wal-Mart but know it's available other places as well. Be sure to try it on an inconspicuous place first as it definitely takes paint off some surfaces, so it may damage your paper.

Good luck,

Kathy

Best Answer

You might also try Murphy's Oil Soap. It works for cleaning the whole house. My parents had the same problem in their trailor behind the stove. It's tough to get out.

Best Answer

It may be way too late for the original questioner, but this may help others who come to this question. I have cleaned greasy wallpaper with cheap white bread. Just rub it with a piece of bread held like an eraser until it has soaked up the grease and dirt. Throw the slice away and start with a fresh piece as often as necessary. If there is a lot of grease, use pads of paper towels and a WARM iron to leach the grease from the paper first.

Maybe this is a dumb suggestion, but have you tried blotting it with a very slightly damp cloth? You don't want to rub at it, but you might be able to get a fair amount off just by soaking it up on to a cloth. Most wallpaper can survive a little water. I suppose you could also blot it with a cloth in rubbing alcohol, which will take the finish off things, but will leave colors untouched (usually). As always, try in a corner you're covering with something.

cleaning grease off wallpaper
Cleaning Grease Off Wallpaper
Home and Garden Cleaning WallsNovember 5, 2004
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
grease stain on carpet
Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 2:42:43 PM on 10.0.2.167 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.