Crabapples for Pest Control

We recently bought a house sight unseen, we later found out that there was an infestation of cock roaches, and termites. We bought everything on the market for the cockroaches. My grandmother told me to cut some crabapples (hedge apples?) in half and put a half of the crabapple where I had seen the roaches, well I did not believe that it would work, well it did! We no longer have the roaches or the termites! Be careful, the crabapples are poisonous to animals and humans! I hope that this helps you all.

By jamie

Showing: Comments Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I think you meant 'hedgeapples' not crabapples. Crabapples are for eating. Hedgeapples fall from hedge trees and are not eatable.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Which is it? Hegde apples or crab apples? I have an awful fear and want to keep them out of my car. I'm afraid of killing myself or someone else on the road one day b/c one is in my car.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel 10 2,498 Flag

Here's a tip for a free way to rid your home of fleas, ticks and spiders. Gather crabapples (also called horse apples) when they fall - usually around this time of year. Cut them in half and place them around your baseboards. These insects hate the scent of them and will leave in a hurry! I once freed a mobile home of flea infestation using this method, it works really well!

By Glynda Lomax

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I believe you meant hedge apples for pests. As for crabapples; they make the best jelly, pickled crabapples etc.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Holly 367 1,263 Flag

To keep those roaches away, spray boric acid powder into cracks and crevices around the house, kitchen cupboards. Keep it dry, so do this after washing down the cabinets.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By HollyW 1 Flag

I put several hedge applies around my house, in small bags lined with aluminum foil. After several days, we noticed lots of gnats flying around. Is there anything special you have to do to keep the hedge apples free from gnats?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

The idea of hedge apples sounds good, but WHERE does a person in Minnesota find these in June? Any other effective ways to get rid of large spiders? I am desperate!!!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I live in Fresno California and i have never heard of those, where can I get them? We are starting to have a problem with roaches and ants.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Crabapples are very different from hedgeapples. Crabapples are edible usually made into jelly. Hedge apples grow on osage orange trees and are known to repel spiders. Osage orange trees grow wild here in south central Nebraska.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

"The idea of hedge apples sounds good, but WHERE does a person in Minnesota find these in June? Any other effective ways to get rid of large spiders? I am desperate!!!!"

I have found them at Kowalski's in Woodbury. They are not in season until August though.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Lemon Pledge is something spiders hate. They love cardboard boxes. WHERE DO YOU FIND HEDGE APPLES??

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By BooRadley 1 Flag

Crabapples are edible. Here is a pic:

http://www.tigerplaid.com/crabapple2.jpg

Horseapples are what you are talking about for roaches. Here is a pic:

http://www.shannacompton.com/horseapple.png

Oner of the official names these trees go by is 'Osage Orange'. Here is a link to the wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osage-orange

Great tip, though.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I have a backyard full of crabapples and I HAD a spider problem. I sliced about 12 of them open and placed them in corners of my house, under my children beds and in my closests. I haven't seen a spider in months. If you want to buys some of my crabapples I will ship you out some call me Walter 816-560-0362

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

The correct name is hedgeapples for insect repelling, crab apples for eating. Hedgeapples are not poisonous. They were believed to be because they have killed both cows and horses.

The animals died from renal gas build up caused by getting an apple caught in their throat.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Crabapples
Growing Crabapples
Previous
Home and Garden Pest Control FleasJuly 1, 2005
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Pruning a Hedge
Pruning a Hedge
Pile of green apples.
Selecting Good Apples
Photo of a hedge apple.
What Are Hedge Apples Good For?
Crabapples
Growing Crabapples
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 1:52:17 PM on 10.0.2.120 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings