Growing Crabapples

Category Fruit Trees
Crabapples
A hardy deciduous tree that creates a beautiful display of spring flowers and a small, bitter apple fruit. This guide is about growing crabapples.

We recently bought a house sight unseen, we later found out that there was an infestation of cock roaches, and termites. We bought everything on the market for the cockroaches. My grandmother told me to cut some crabapples (hedge apples?) in half and put a half of the crabapple where I had seen the roaches, well I did not believe that it would work, well it did! We no longer have the roaches or the termites! Be careful, the crabapples are poisonous to animals and humans! I hope that this helps you all.

By jamie

Spread 2 bed sheets under tree canopy from trunk to outside edge of tips of limbs. Using an inch and half PVC pipe with a (Y) fitting attached to the tip of 8 foot section of pipe. Shake limbs about 1/2 distance from trunk to tip of branch to avoid breaking limbs. Gather corners of sheet (usually 2 people do this). Pour Apples into pails or baskets, wash thoroughly in cold water.

Bring large pot of water 1/2 full to boil. Put apples in for 5-10 minutes. Remove from pot with large metal strainer, and place in large colander to separate seeds and skins.

Makes great jellies, juices, and also apple butter.

Source: My grand mother

By carlanwright01 from Crane, MO

My husband and I just moved into our new house and there is a beautiful crab apple tree in our front yard. Does anyone have any helpful info about the tree and apples? Any information about maintenance or what to use the crab apples for?

By kgsmith830

Anonymous

We have an apple tree, I have done to them about everything you can do to an apple, plus we have to give them away by the trash bags full so they won't rot on the ground. I'm sure you'll need a variety of good recipes. Here are some crabapple recipes to start you off.

http://www.reci  ple-recipes.html

Here are instructions for the care and feeding of apple trees.

http://www.ehow  bapple-tree.html

Enjoy your tree. :-)

Q:

I have worms eating the leaves on my crab apple tree. How can I stop them?

jt_luves_dn from Syracuse, NY

A:

jt_luves_dn,

Sounds like you have a classic case of some codling moth or winter moth caterpillars eating your crab apple leaves. There are several preventative tactics to employ in the control of these pests. For now you'll need to pick them off or spray them with a garden hose to dislodge them. Then try a few of these preventative measures to reduce the next generation (there can be up to 4 in one summer) of worms.

You can try wrapping the trunk of your tree with a band containing Vaseline (don't apply it directly to the bark). Do this to prevent the female caterpillars from making their way back up the truck. You can also buy similar sticky bands at garden centers, which will trap the caterpillars right on the band. When you see the caterpillars cocooning in your neighbor's trees, it's okay to remove the band. You can also leave it on longer in an effort to prevent any larvae from migrating up the tree. Check the band every day or two to make sure it remains sticky.

When your tree is flowering, pheromone traps (available at garden centers) can also help reduce worm populations.

Always remove any infested apples (hanging or dropped) as soon as you see them.

Encourage birds to the area by erecting a bird bath and feeding station near your tree.

There are chemical controls as well, but these need to be timed appropriately and are only partly effective.

Ellen

Hi,

I have a similar problem with my zuchini , bell pepper and tomato plants. I read different advise for getting rid of the snails.. Since my plants are in containers, I bought copper tape and stuck that around the container. It sort of gives the snails a 'shock' so they won't want to come there.

Also crumbling egg shells around the tree may work for you.

Hope this helps.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

This is our crab apple tree in full bloom. It is absolutely beautiful against the clear blue sky.

By Sue

Close-up of Crab Apple Tree

Comment Like this photo? 4

The flowering crab tree in my front yard is only 2 years old, but look how gorgeous it is this spring!

By Barbara from Liberal, MO

Flowering crab apple tree.

Comment Like this photo? 4

This is a flowering crab apple that I planted 15 years ago. It smells wonderful and is just beautiful for 2 weeks. The birds love to hide in it and fuss at the squirrels.

By kwhite from Thomasville, NC

Closeup of red flowers.

Comment Like this photo? Yes