Managing The Spice Cabinet

My spice cabinet was a mess. Cans, bottles, jars in every size and shape imaginable. I had no idea which spices I had, they were hard to find, and they really didn't "fit" anywhere I put them.

I went to the local discount chain, and purchased 3 spice racks, all the same. They hold 16 spices (all filled, no choice of spices), swivel, and cost $19 each. I emptied all the duplicate spices (more on that later), and filled the now-empty jars with spices from my cupboards.

Then:

1. Label the lids with a label maker or something you printed on the computer so they look nice.

2. I alphabetized my spices in their racks so they are easily located.

3. The spices are at my finger-tips, on my cooking counter. I find them easily simply by swiveling the appropriate rack. (Remember they are alphabetized, so easy to find)

Now, about the extra spices:

According to my internet research, freezing spices is the best way to store them. The amounts on the available in the rack, now, are generous enough to be useable, but not so much they lose their potency too quickly. Store the remaining spices in either labeled, sealable small freezer bags - or better yet, vacuum-sealed bags you make yourself in just the right size (this is what I did.) Then organize them in a plastic shoe box in the freezer so they can be pulled out for re-fills as needed, won't get lost in the freezer, and still will remain fresh for a very long time.

Now my spices are getting used, I have more room in my cupboard, my counter looks nice, using them is convenient, I am a more efficient cook, and cooking just got easier. And a silly bonus: I even look a little like a "pro" in the kitchen.

By grumman2

Thank you for an excellent idea!

If you will go to www.mccormick.com you will find out how to store spices and they recommend NOT freezing them!

Jars of spices.
Storing Spices
Organizing KitchenNovember 29, 2004
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall, Spice rack hanging on a wall.
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall
Spice rack with magnetic canisters.
Other Uses for Spice Racks
Spice Rack
Starter Spice Rack Suggestions
🎉
🎄