Treasure Your Freedom - Join A Historical Group

I quit my job a little over a year and a half ago. Since then I have begun doing things I was unable to do while working. I have joined both the Daughters of the American Revolution and the United Daughters of the Confederacy. There is also an organization called the Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War.

To become a member of the DAR and UDC,you must have a blood relative who fought in these war times. Unfortunately it is my understanding that if you are adopted that you cannot be a member. I don't know if adoption is an issue with the Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War.

I was fortunate with the DAR application that I had several relatives who were members before me. I had to provide very little "more current" information. As for the UDC, that application was easy as well as I had lots of information available about my great grandfather.

I cannot express how much I have enjoyed attending these meetings. Hearing the stories of what happened during these historic battles makes one appreciate how they helped to mold our country into the nation we call the United States of America.

I have been actively talking with my children to educate them on their ancestors and making them aware of how they fought for our freedom. If we do not educate our children now, these bits and pieces of historic information could be lost FOREVER.

I recently gave a talk at the UDC meeting about my great grandfather. There was a new transfer member at this meeting as well. What a wonderful coincidence that HER great grandfather had served in the war with MY great grandfather in Savannah!

I am sure that all families have stories that SHOULD be shared with the current generations and future generations. I am already planning to join the local Historical Society when it meets again in the fall. If you don't have a desire to join any historical group, please please please at least educate your children and document in writing what you know of your family's history to be passed on after you are gone.

By Southeastgeorgiapeach from Jesup, GA

Since submitting this post to Thrifty Fun, I have found another organization named the "Sons and Daughters of United States Colored Troops". The USCT was the African-American soldiers' Civil War army. I don't know any of the requirements for joining this organization. It took me quite a while to find it. I just wanted to be sure to include it with this post for any interested Thrifty Funners. Sorry that I didn't find it sooner to be included with the original post.

I would be eligible to join the DAR but don't know how to go about finding a chapter where I live. I am one of those damned Yankees!

The National DAR website is www.otsego.org/dar. Go on the website and then click on "membership information". Then click on "click here for more information". Then look at right column and find "State or Chapter websites" and click on it. It will bring you up to a listing of states. Click on your state and then look for the nearest town to your own if yours is not listed. Then email that chapter. A form should pop up for you to complete about your ancestor. Send your email and you will be contacted by someone from the chapter closest to you about your application.

I don't think I'd be to keen on joining a group that doesn't consider an adopted person as part of the family.

Thank you so much for sharing that; I am a member of the UDC and have my credentials for the DAR, but haven't made the time to join yet. It was a great idea for you to share with everyone!

I enjoyed your information about joining a historical society. My family has been doing genealogical research into our families past and have discovered a lot of information dating back to the beginning of this great country. I knew about the Dar but wasn't aware of the others. I remember wanting to join the DAR when I was in high school and was told by one of my peers that if I did not have any proof of my ancestors' involvement in the American Revolution, I could not be a member. Well, I am a direct descendant of John Hart. He was one of our founding fathers and his signature is on the Declaration of Independence. Now do I qualify? Linda (Hart) Miller

Better Living Family GenealogyAugust 12, 2009
A group of men dressed up like fruit.
Group Halloween Costume Ideas
Making a Christmas Stocking
Making a Christmas Stocking
Sloppy joes for a large group.
Making Sloppy Joes for a Large Group
Pirate Party
Pirate Themed Party Ideas
🎉
🎄