Oil Free Soap Recipe

I am looking for an old fashioned soap recipe using lye and lard but no oil. Many recipes I Googled had olive or other oils. I misplaced a simple recipe I had using only lye and lard. Thanks for any replies I receive.

Debbie from Manitoba, Canada

I found a couple of recipes for you. Hope they help!

Cold Soap

1 can lye

2 1/2 pints of cold water

5 1/2 pounds lard

Dissolve lye in water and set aside until temperature is less than 80 degrees. Melt the fat and set aside until temperature is 115 degrees. Very slowly pour dissolved lye into fat. Stir until it thickens, and pour into mold.

Boiled Soap No.2

2 gallons of soft water

1 can lye

5 pounds lard

Heat the fat. In a separate container, add lye to water. Add the lye water to the fat and cook for 2 hours.

Have one I've used for yrs. 16oz lye, 6 cups of water, 1 gal of lard. Mix water and lye and cool to room temp. Heat lard or drippings till pourable. Mix lye water into lard slowly and stir till milky. Pour into mold.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as an oil free soap. Lard is an oil that is hard or semi-hard at room temperature. All oils are technically fats, and you need water, lye, and some type of fat be it liquid or solid in order to make a soap. Sorry but a soap made with out oil is not possible.

My father James Lade's soap recipe:

1. Save fats that are solid at room temperature from meats, bacon drippings, Crisco, etc. You may be able to obtain discarded fats from restaurants. Clean lard by adding water and boiling it. The fat will rise to the top. Put in refrigerator to harden and remove fat. You will need 6 lbs. (a #10 can full) of fat for this recipe.

2. Pour one 13-oz. can of "Lewis Lye" (NaOH or sodium hydroxide) into one quart and one cup of cool water in a large (about 15 x 24 in.) enameled pan. Stir with a long handled wooden paddle or stick until completely dissolved. Use great care not to allow any of this mixture to contact the skin or eyes and do not inhale the fumes. The mixture will evolve considerable heat in combining with the water. Allow to cool to room temperature.

3. Melt 6 lbs. of cleaned fat so that it can be poured.

4. Pour the fat into the lye and water solution gradually, stirring constantly with the wooden paddle. Continue stirring until the mixture assumes the consistency of smooth cream. Allow to stand overnight and it should be ready to cut in the morning. Cut into bars and allow to stand in the pan for a few days after which the pan can be inverted and the bars will fall out intact.

5. Pack in a cardboard box and age for six months before using.

Crafts Soap MakingSeptember 9, 2008
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale