Washing a Dry Clean Only Slipcover

Is it possible to wash a slipcover that says "Dry-clean only" on it? It is 100% cotton. It's not one of those Sure-fit ones that you buy at the store, it came with the sofa. It's a loveseat that opens into a single bed. It's not really fitted, it's supposed to look "relaxed and casual" so it's loose-fitting. If it shrinks a little, I think it will still fit.

It is attached by velcro at the back. It is really dirty at the bottom from my dog lying on the floor right next to the sofa. Should I take my chances? What if I just wash it on the gentle cycle and hang it to dry? Has anyone ever tried this before? Thanks for any suggestions!

Marianne from Connecticut

Answers

marianne:

for years i owned and operated a thrift store, i learned that there is nothing that cannot be washed in the washing machine, just do not put it in the dryer!! my best solution for a slipcover would be to go the laundromat and use one of the bigger washers as that way there is room for agitation ... good luck

cailifouhn