Washing a Dry Clean Only Coat

Category Clothing
Although many items are marked "Dry Clean Only", sometimes they can be carefully washed with no damage. This is a guide about washing a dry clean only coat.

Can you wash a 100% cotton coat which has 100% polyester padding, 100% acrylic fur, 100% polyester fur (edge of collar and edge of detachable hood and outer sleeves which are 100% viscose Pu coated?

Answers

Best Answer

The viscose is the questionable part. I would definitely hand wash it in the kitchen sink or bathtub with cool water and a mild soap. Don't wring it out; just press out the water. Good luck!

Best Answer

this is the information I was able to find.....After washing the viscose item in cold water, users should dry the article of clothing on a rack before ironing it on the lowest setting. Viscose will not hold its shape and softness if it is dried in the drier, wrung out by hand or spun to dry. ... Viscose is an absorbent material, but does not hold up well when wet... I would say to treat it carefully

I have a nylon jacket that's dry clean only, oh and it's down. I thought I'd wash it with gentle soap and hang dry and then after put it in dryer to fluff. Thank you for any tips.

By Janice S

Answers

Best Answer

I've tried cleaning and drying a down jacket exactly the way you're thinking of doing it. I washed the jacket on gentle cycle and this seemed to work fine. Then I hung the jacket on the clothes line to dry and that was a disaster! All the down formed a hard clump at the bottom of the jacket.

The parts that were divided into little squares - the down formed hard clumps there too. I tried putting the dry jacket in the dryer with a couple of tennis balls, but that didn't work. I finally re-washed the jacket, let it spin dry and then put the wet jacket in the dryer with two tennis balls. I think it turned out pretty well!

My sister has a 100% wool coat that was her grandmothers. How do I safely clean the coat at home without the extreme expenses of a dry cleaner?

Answers

Best Answer

Hand wash in cool water with extremely mild detergent and not too much of that. If the garment isn't stained, you needn't worry about scrubbing, simply fill your kitchen sink or bathtub with soapy water and dip the item up and down a few times. I'd recommend the bathtub. Use your shower head to rinse the soap from the coat. Be thorough. Gently (I stress "gently") squeeze the water from the garment, starting at the top and working down. Do not twist the garment!

Continue squeezing until you've removed as much of the water as possible. Lay out several thick towels on the floor in an out-of-the-way area. Spread the coat on top of the towels, being careful to align the collar and sleeves. Smooth your hands over the entire coat to emulate ironing (i.e., try your best to remove any wrinkles just using your hands). Leave it lie overnight. Check it the following day and if reasonably dry, hang it on a good sturdy coat hanger (one which meets the should seams). Leave until absolutely dry.