Housetraining an Older Dog

About a month ago, I adopted two 1 year old poms, one male and the other female. They were not housetrained and left outside all the time. Neither of them were altered. We have just had that procedure done for each. I understand that because the male was not neutered before he was six months old that we may have a tough time in housetraining him especially with him cocking his leg. Does anyone know how long it may take to housetrain (especially for the male)? Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kathy from VA

My husband bought me a dog that had lived for the first 4 years of her life in a basement kennel. She had never even been outside as the vet came to their house for shots and stuff.

She didnt have a clue about house training or even playing, the poor little mite.

I just spent the first two weeks watching her like a hawk. She is a pretty tiny dog and didnt really understand the "come" command at the time so I would pick her up and take her outside. Gently of course.

She had the run of the whole house and slept on the bed with us. When she had to go potty she would start fussing and yes, I did go outside at any hour. Still do sometimes.

If and when she went potty I would praise her to high heaven and love her up like I hadnt seen her in a month.

Honestly, it shouldnt take you more than 2 weeks, just be sure to clean the spots he has soiled in the house for smell. An enzymatic cleaner works quite well.

Crate training might be fine if you actually know what youre doing, a book or a video just isnt enough training.

It's easier to teach a dog to go potty outside than it is to teach some people how harmful crate training is.

Some of the ideas on my web page may be of help to you. Look under the services section where I have an article about training a puppy. I have found that these ideas work also for older dogs.

My dog has lived outside for the last three years while my little one was growing up. We now want him to be 50/50 indoor/outdoor. Would these procedures still apply?

Help, I am at my wits end, 7 year old chihuahua pees all over the house especially at night. Too attached to give him away. He would be in crate 12 to 13 hours a day, due to work schedules. Can you advise?

I know a couple people have said never swat your dog but I have found with my three dogs it works for some things, it backs up the word "no" when they are ignoring it. I roll a piece of newspaper up lightly and swat with it and they don't like the sound, it doesn't hurt them a bit.

I tried the "never scolding for accidents" route and as a result my puppy had no idea she was doing something that I didn't like when she pooped on the carpet. Yes, she had a spot outside to go (and access to a dog door) but she also had a spot to go inside when it was cold or snowing. Finally I tossed that method and starting scolding for accidents and she had her first clue that she was doing something bad. I saw definite improvement after that.

Housetraining a Dog
House Training a Dog
Pets Dogs House TrainingJuly 13, 2007
Older Cat
Moving an Older Cat
Cute dog sitting next to poop
Training a Dog to Not Poop Inside
An old english sheep dog sitting on its owners lap.
Caring for a Senior Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog