Being Thrifty vs. Your Time

Here's my 2 bits: Sometimes people will tell you it's not worth your time to do various things to be thrifty and frugal. However, whether any given activity is worth it is entirely up to the individual. If you go about frugality with the attitude that your tasks are entertaining to you, or that your work will be good exercise, your whole attitude changes.

Maybe you would rather build your own deck or sew your own dress while listening to the radio than veg out at an expensive movie. Maybe you actually love to cook and it is good therapy for you at the same time. Cleaning your own house can be marvelous exercise, performed at your own pace. Keeping your activities in a positive light really helps. Also be yourself. Don't let our consumerism society change you or make you feel lowly for the things you do.

By Jayne

My Husband thinks that gardening is a waste of time because if you figure the time spent, the vegetables are more expensive then the ones at the farmers market. But I love to garden - it gets me outside, it's great exercise, and it is also very satisfying to bring in baskets of fresh vegetables all summer long.

Ahh, yes, attitude is everything. I believe the culture of the world is turning in your direction, where consumption is no longer held in such high esteem. Thanks for your 2 bits.

Doing it yourself not only saves you money, it yields a sense of accomplishment. This is particularly true if the task is one that has in the past been daunting.

Most DIY revolves around your home. You can make it fit your needs and personality. It really was not that long ago in the larger scheme of things that the task of building an abode was done by the dweller to be.

Regardless the task; landscaping, room decoration, garage organization, try your own hand. It is not as hard as you might think.

I thank God for being raised up poorer than dirt. I learned so much from watching how Mama would cope. I can get a meal with very little money and sew and fix most things when they break or find a substitute. We were taught to use things up, reuse them, barter them and just in general how to save money. I never felt like I was missing very much. Being poor is not all that bad if you know how to make do.

I know a lot of my friends, we are all poor, are a whole lot happier than Hollywood, who has everything given to them. I actually feel sorry for "rich" folks. They never know the satisfaction of making things with your own hands. "Poor and happy" can go together very well. So take heart if you are poor and just learn everything you can. Learn a new skill every year. Learn to garden even if it is in pots. Learn to sew. Learn to really cook frugally. Learn to decorate from books or videos. Learn to make jewelry or sharpen up skills you already have and sell your wares. Learn to use tools if you are a woman. Start with an electric drill. My favorite gift was one of those drill sets. I am never at the mercy of waiting for a man to do it. LOL I have one, but he is always going to get to it tomorrow. So I learned how to use an electric drill and screwdriver. They come together in a kit. Learn.

I totally agree that an attitude adjustment can put things in perspective. Ergo-my "adjustment"... I detest housework. Suffice to say, I am NOT wealthy. My time is money... I hire a cleaning crew to come into my home once a month to give my home a through clean... Maintenance is an easy clean as we go...20 minutes a day and my home is in presentable condition. The time I spend at my "real job", is well worth the monetary payoff. Weekends are free for family and friends. Priceless!

Saving Money vs. Saving Time, Watch Sitting on Top of Dollar Bills
Saving Money vs. Saving Time
Budget & Finance AdviceSeptember 9, 2004
Primary Colored Shirts on Clothesline
Making a Clothesline
Drying Chives
Drying Chives
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
A recycled tin can man.
Waste Not, Want Not Tips and Tricks