Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Paint Colors to Coordinate with Blue/Gray Couch

I need to know what color goes best with a blue/gray couch. I need wall colors. Thank you.

Gloria from Wiscasset, Maine

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By nicole (Guest Post)01/25/2009

My son has a navy blue comforter with tan, red and light blue plaid. What color should I paint the wall?

By Kim Churchman [3]01/06/2009

Blue-gray is one of the earthtone colors, so the other earthtones all blend well with it. Avoid that 80's hunter green, a lot of black, hot pink or lemon yellow. The general rule is to use two colors that are close together, and a third color quite different as the accent color. So how about blue-gray with cream and tan, and then rust red for the accent? Or blue-gray with moss gray-green shades, and brown accents?

By (Guest Post)01/03/2009

It depends on the quality of the light in this room. If it gets a lot of sun the blue will pull forward more in the room. Some people like a complimentary color scheme. So based on that theory, perhaps a tint (think the color mixed with white) of orange/salmon. Blush may be pretty.

If you want something that is less bold you may prefer an analogous color - a color on either side of it on the color wheel. So think ocean combo - greens and violet. Then also there is a possibility of a split complementary color combination. If the complement of blue gray is orange, then the split takes a color on either side of that color. This means some shades of red and yellow could be very dynamic.

I don't know if you like any of these color family suggestions. There is not best color that could be advised without seeing the couch color in the room with natural lighting. You will need to choose what colors resonate with your tastes. Have fun pulling paint samples and enjoying this process.