Living Room Wall Paint Color Advice

Choosing the best wall paint color to coordinate with your living room furnishings can be difficult. This is a guide about living room wall paint color advice.

I had a similar problem when I moved to my older condo 8 years ago. The counter tops were a unique laminate red color, which I absolutely loved. The wallpaper on the walls was horrible. I removed it and then thought about a wall color that would enhance my red counters.

My idea was a success! I went to a paint store and looked at red paints and brought home cards with the paint color samples on it that I thought were closest to my counter. From there, I picked one that was a match! Then I went back to the paint store and found the booklets they have with coordinating color schemes for paint colors . In my case, I was able to find a three-color coordinating scheme that included my red counter top color, and painted my walls with one of those three colors. It resulted in a perfectly harmonious color blend, and an accent to my counter top color! I then used the third color for accent decor ideas.

My suggestion would work if you were trying to coordinate with a piece of furniture too. Just find that color in a paint chip, and look for the coordinating colors offered. Almost every paint brand does this, so if one doesn't have it, you can use your color card to search the other brands, so you don't have to bring home samples from every company.

I have an orange leather sofa and yellow leather loveseat. What color should I paint the walls?

By Josef F.

Answers

Best Answer

Yellow and orange - I would suggest a lighter yellow, or a soft green, but depending on the effect you want, you could even go with a fairly intense blue. What color is the floor/carpet, draperies, etc.? Rugs, pillows, and decorative items will be needed to pull all this together, but would be fun. By changing some accessories as pillows, vases, and such, you can have a new and exciting look several times a year.

I have cream walls in my living room, can I put up cream lace curtains. The furniture is red and cream and the dining table chairs and table and TV stand are black. Would cream curtains go with a cream wall? It is a council flat, but it is my home. Any ideas?

Answers

Nothing wrong with cream lace curtains against cream wall. It is a nice minimalist clean look.

I just have a question. We have a navy blue berber carpet in our living room and our furniture is a tanish color and we'd like to paint our walls.. They are white and they join our dining room which has the hard wood floor.

What would be a good color to go with the other colors? We can't afford to change anything except the paint, right now. Can you help? Thank you!
Betsy Albright

Answers

By Sharon,Ky (Guest Post)

I have always loved nautical looks. Navy with the tan couch and walls painted with one of these pretty new shades of red would be pretty. Or if you're not a person who likes reds, my bathroom is painted with a paint from Walmart that is almost the color of a brown paper bag and I use navy blue rugs and Lighthouse decor.Another painting idea (don't know what it's actually called) is to paint using a method with which you use two colors and a certain type roller that paints on the two colors to make a SUEDE looking effect.I've seen that done and it's really pretty.

Since you have allot of solids already, I would go with some kind of textured look on the walls. Walmart sells the roller to make it look textured or you can do it yourself with sponges or even a crunched up Walmart bag. Try to use color on the walls (big Pictures) and maybe some color on throw pillows to tie it all together.

By (Guest Post)

I'd leave the walls white and add a bright color like red. or yellow for accents. Or paint one wall a barn red and use accents like pillows in that red and blue.

Try the cabin theme. I like neutral colors tans, khakis, browns (can always change theme w/these kind of colors). I'd go w/ an earth tone tan kind of color for my walls and buy a cabin theme throw - try wal mart or target. If you are into online shopping try lane bryant home or demestications they both have great prices. When you go w/ the cabin them you can add all kinds of colors mostly rustic and earth tone.

Can go with any kind of wood accents or wroght iron. Very versible idea. But also can paint walls tan or if you dare something bright go for a red wall and add an antiqued american flag them. buy an american flag themed throw and frame an old flag to go over your couch. this theme will be very easy to decorate with being that american flag items are easy to find and fun to shop for especially at flea markets and antique stores.

By Sara (Guest Post)

Depends on your lighting, but blues can be very cold, so I would probably opt for a light warm neutral - probably a linen white, with yellow undertones to keep it from felling chilly. Inexpensive accents you can change seasonally would be small area rugs or fun cushions in bright colours like red or orange.

Window coverings are another inexpensive way to play with pattern and colour. I don't recommend patterned rollers or faux suede. Hard to do well, and a pain to repaint if you don't like it.

By Bev (Guest Post)

http://www.woolie.com/

By Laura (Guest Post)

Consider a coordinating light blue paint with the navy carpet. It will coordinate with the tan couch. Blue and brown iare very popular right now. You could add some white accessories, as well.

By Gritz (Guest Post)

I would try a cabin look since it goes well with navy and hard wood floors. I also have navy carpet throughout my house and had my walls painted a baby blue but the feeling was cold and the contrast was too sharp. Orange actually works well with blues, as well as khaki, some browns, reds and whites. Navy usually is a neutral color so you want something on the walls that won't make both the wall and carpet 'pop' which is usually lighter colors. I would try a mid tone and maybe keep your furniture the same, but add little things that draw the eye and try to create balance.

Navy is hard to work with.

I just purchased a charcoal grey sectional for my condo. I am having light brown laminate floors put in. I don't know what color the walls should be from the entrance into the living room which will also include my dining area. It is small with an open floor plan. The dining room furniture is dark brown with black specs as is the living room 3pc table set.

I just lost my parents, my mom on Christmas Day 2014 and dad just a few weeks ago. Now have their furniture.

For the living room - I have a primarily white cloth sofa with tiny floral print in red and dark blue flowers with green stems and leaves, a white leather loveseat, and my mother's custom Louis XVI throne chairs (made for her design specs in the late 1950s) of pale "baby blue" (a.k.a "powder blue" or "sky blue") crushed velvet and slightly-lighter shade of same blue tinted wood. Their living room (in the house where I grew up) had wall-to-wall high pile carpeting that was was emerald green when I was a child in the 1960s-'70s, and a light mushroom color when I was an adult in the 1980s, '90s, and early 2000s - always with white walls. It also had a pair of pale yellow tinted wood bookcases, which I also have. The tables are brass with glass tops, and a pecan wood table. I think I also still have my parents' pale yellow throw pillows that used to sit on the patterned sofa. (The white leather love seat was newer, I didn't grow up with that.)

I am moving into a new house. It has golden oak hardwood floors. I own an antique late-1920s/early-1930s Art Deco console bar (a Prohibition-era "hideaway" bar) that is gilded emerald green leather and black lacquered wood, which I would like to put in the living room.

This sounds busy, but since the furniture is almost completely all white upholstery, it's really not so crazy with too many colors. But I am at a loss to figure out what color to paint the walls. The room is darker than either the living room I grew up with or the one in this house that I've lived in for 30 years, and it's smaller than either of the other rooms, too.

I have a textured tall white pottery floor lamp, a few wooden floor lamps (darker woods), and pale yellow with blue ginger jar table lamps, as well as my grandparents' antique Stiffel brass table lamps. Also, we have hubby's family's antique piano - a mid-century dark black-brown lacquered Baldwin Acrosonic spinet - and my family's antique piano - a nearly 200-year old upright piano of red mahogany and hand carving all over it. We don't need two pianos and there isn't room for them at the new house. (We're downsizing, as we're now seniors.) It is likeliest that we'll be able to sell the Baldwin spinet piano faster and easier than my upright piano, so we expect to keep the red mahogany upright instrument.

I really hate white walls, having grown up in a house with nothing but white walls and little artwork hanging on those. My parents preferred other forms of art than paintings or prints. I'd like not to have to paint the walls in my own living room white, unless there's no other good option. I do, however, have plenty of oil paintings from hubby's family home, and a good number of prints, and a lot of original water color paintings, oil paintings, and sketches (hubby's sister was an artist).

Help! What color(s) would look best on the walls of my new living room?
Thank you.

My living furniture is black. I have burgundy curtains and oak floors. What wall paint color would best fit?

I have a burgundy, leather couch and a dark brown entertainment stand. My floor is wood, a light brown. It is an open concept room. What colour can I paint my walls?

By CH

Does it matter if each room in my house is a different color? I want to paint my living room a Tiffany blue/chocolate brown, but I can't figure out what color to do the kitchen. I am thinking about a rustic fall red, but I don't want it to look crazy coming from the living room to the kitchen. The living room is closed off from the kitchen, but I'm just unsure if that makes a difference or not.

By Tatirah G.

Answers

It's your house, therefore you can do anything you like. You have to live with it, don't worry about what others think. People never used to worry about have one room match the one next to it. I'm kind of a free thinker.

My dear, it is your home and you can paint it whatever color you want. Of course you can paint each room a different color, I do it all the time and so do most people I know. Don't let people tell you what to do in your own home.

Agree with Lilac and Redhatterb. You don't even have to paint each wall the same colour, pretty often I don't. You'll soon learn what suits you. Go for it!
Marg from England.

I will eventually be getting a suede colored recliner and couch. I have a green recliner in the living room. Right now the walls are a tan color. I want to brighten up the room. Do you think a red color would match? Please offer suggestions. Thank you!

My future wife and I will be moving into a two family house after we are married owned by her grandparents. It is an older house but looks great. I would be living in the bottom floor. I was thinking of redoing the floor with a rosewood Pergo floor from Lowe's - Link to Floor

Any suggestions about to do or not to do that? The house is set up that as soon as you walk down the stairs you are in a pretty large living room longer than it is wide with two support poles towards the left side and at the end a huge bar spanning the width of the room. My question is what color should I paint this room, if I stick with rosewood floor. It has to be a good living room color but also compliment the bar scene.

Second what color should I paint the kitchen, which would have the same flooring? But the cabinets are a lighter yellow wood almost like this flooring - Cabinet Color Link

Should I sand them down and restain them or just do the flooring in that color? but then what colors should I paint the walls with that floor? Also the bar's front side is like that wood paneling, can I paint on that?

If you can also give some tips on the bedroom, which would have a carpet of my choice in it and the bathroom now is pink with pink tiles, sink, and toilet. Thanks for all your time and thoughts everyone. Please respond!

Sal from Totowa, NJ

Answers

If that floor ever becomes soaking wet, you are in trouble. Find out about any new flooring and exposure to water before purchasing! I know someone who had a small flood from an overflowing sink which ended up costing thousands of dollars in replacement flooring. At first, I heard that it was not going to be able to be matched to the existing flooring. Didn't seem to work out to be a problem, but you always need to know all the ins and outs before investing in home decor!

Also, a friend has a drooling dog - whose trail wasn't obvious with carpet - but it is with the new flooring. Now she has to work extra hard just to keep the place looking nice.

If you are planning on having kids or pets think twice!

PS Lovely flooring. How about restricting it to the master bedroom where it will get less traffic?

By Allison (Guest Post)

I love that color wood! You could go with almost any color, but if you want the floor to stand out, go subtle -- like a yellowish cream or a sage. In general, use 2 or 3 colors in varying intensities throughout the house. It will all flow together! Good luck!

By Linda (Guest Post)

Is your future wife going to live with you? If so, perhaps it would be considerate of you to consider her opinion, yes? Or does her vote not count?

I have an olive green sofa with a recliner that has a green, gold, and burgundy checkerboard patterned upholstery. What color should I paint the walls in my new house?

I have a brown carpet with caramel flecks in it plus steel grey furniture. What colours should I paint the walls? One wall is very long, but has a fireplace and TV on it.

I have a plain beige carpet, a beige marble fireplace, and a black leather suite. Half way down my walls there is a white PVC dado rail. My curtains are bold with a beige flower and black background. There's also a black rug with a creamy flower. What colour paint should I do my walls in?

By Trish S.

I'm still moving in and would like to paint my walls before adding any other furniture. My couches are a paper bag brown leather and my walls are white. I was thinking chocolate brown for the main wall or match all walls in the living room with the couches.

By Tiara P

My walls are blue, the drapes are cream with a hint of blue and sage and I wanted to purchase a sage sofa. Do blue gray walls go with a sage sofa?

By Geno

My living room and dining room are one big room from the left side of the house to the right side. I want the living room to be a deep brick red and a light vanilla color, with 2 red walls and 2 vanilla walls. What do I do with the ceiling? Leave it white? The dining room I wanted to include the vanilla color and maybe a soft gold color. I need advice! I need these 2 rooms to flow together yet be separate!

By Texas Scorpio from Orange, TX

Answers

Continue the vanilla color across the ceiling in both rooms or use a vanilla/pale gold in both rooms; this would tie the two rooms together. You might consider using a sponge print of the red onto the ceiling edges above the red walls. If you don't think of corners and edges as end lines for color, you can create something very beautiful with these three colors. The red is a strong color and has more "weight" so no more than 1/3 of total surface should be red and the rest in vanilla and gold, but the areas should not be equal for each color. You don't say what you plan for window coverings, floor, furniture and this should also be considered in the areas of color. Have fun.

I suggest all the ceilings done in the vanilla color.

Try doing the ceiling the same vanilla color, because the lighter you go with the ceiling the more space you seem to have, it feels way bigger if you do a light color on the ceiling, and then it will match the walls.

I am updating my living room with a soft sage carpet and a graphite sofa. What colors would work well for the walls?

By traveler233 from PA

Answers

Lighter shade of graphite, creamy yellow, or blue gray (heather) and white.

My trick is to find a bath towel, shower curtain, or pillow or rug, even a picture, at a store. Something I can relate the existing color to (or something in the same family of color). The color pallet of those things always helps me make a good choice. Sage is a "muted" color, and if you want some drama you could go with a muted purple!

I would use a shade of the blue from the bedroom or a lighter sage color. Good luck.

I have black furniture in my living room. My decorations are chocolate brown and a light blue color. What colors would look good with my decorations?

By elizabeth from Berwyn, IL

Answers

Add some pink, peach or coral.

Light green, red & pink will go good in your room, good luck.

I would say cream with either a tan or more yellow tint, light green, or coral.

I have beige couches and green countertops. What color should I paint my walls? These are the couches that I just bought. Please share your ideas.

By mandi from Phoenix, AZ

Answers

Beautiful sofas! I would paint the walls a darker shade of the color you have now. Or perhaps a medium tan or beige - a few shades darker than the sofas.

Great sofas! I agree with staying in the brown family. I would use a medium tan or a light to medium brown. Then you could use the same shade of green, plus some golds,etc. as accents.

Dark red or burgundy would be striking! Accent with brown and gold. Very warm and cheerful.

I need help. I have a navy couch and love seat with grey carpet. Any wall color suggestions? I have two days.

By cathy from Dearborn, MI

Answers

You're lucky that you have two very neutral colors on your hands! You could go with a fun, saturated bright color like orange or hot pink. Go cooler with a nice green or just the right purple. Do a nice monochromatic look with lighter shades of blue. The possibilities are endless. Whatever you do, you can pull it together with accessories, wall art and fabrics. The grey carpet is certainly neutral and shouldn't hinder anything you choose to do with the wall color.

Take a look at a color wheel and consider the groupings shown: http://www.worq  color_wheel.htm.

Any of them would work. Good luck!

Bring in a pillow/carpet cutting to a home decor store(that sells paint) and they will know what's best. All they charge for is the paint. You will pay for that somewhere. Good luck

A bright sunny yellow or golden color would warm up a the coolness of blue and gray.

I have a large room 700 sq. ft. with 2 burgundy chairs and a light grey couch. What color should I paint the walls?

I have a medium sized living room with a dark brown couch and chairs and a deep cherry TV stand, coffee table, and end tables. I have a faux deep cherry fire place as well. I have one regular window and an open adjoining dining room and open adjoining office. Both other rooms have two regular sized windows each. There are similar furnishings in each. I currently have Cascade antique gold curtains with hints of cranberry and hunter green that are shimmery in nature. I'm at an impasse as to what color to paint my walls. Any suggestions?

I first though to paint an accent wall behind the TV opposite my window, a cranberry color and then use a creamy white on the rest of the walls. I have jacquard fabric furniture covers that are burgandy and flip to tan. I'm not sure if this would look right. As of now, my walls are a dull white, almost grey tone and look very dull.

My living and dining area is 1 large room. They are painted a harvest gold with white trim, my curtains are gold stripe, and the sofa is tan. I have put down new carpet, mostly grey with a touch of tan that shows in the sunlight. But it is really grey. I want to paint the rooms grey, but will that match the sofa and the curtains? I really don't want to go to the expense of buying new curtains. Should I paint gray or leave gold in your opinion.

I have a terracotta tannish settee, with dark traditional furniture and wooden oak floors. What colour do I paint my walls? The room is not large.

I have a rather large living room, a white leather sofa (sectional, small), 2 gray swivel recliners, and hardwood floors. My accent furniture is rather dark. What color would I paint my living room? Also, I have a peaked 20 feet ceiling. Upon leaving the living room and entering the kitchen everything in the kitchen is some form of gray. Please help!

I have purchased a new suite and am struggling to think of wall colours. The suite is light - in between cream and grey. I am going for dark wood floor. What colour would you recommend I paint the walls? I would like to wallpaper the chimney breast again struggling to think of what colour. I have mango wood furniture in the room. It is a large and light room. I do like greens and duck egg.

My kitchen has grey walls, white cabinets, black worktops, and will have black and white tiles when it's finished and red accessories. I want advice on what color to have in my living room so that both rooms flow as you have to walk through the living room to get to the kitchen. At the moment the walls are a neutral color (we mixed a bit of light brown in with magnolia so that it would be a bit darker) and cream wallpaper with red flowers. The sofas are dark brown with cream cushions and light brown carpet (which might be changing we're not sure yet) and the fireplace is a light brown wood. I was liking the look of a silver wallpaper, but no idea what color to go with it (or if it will be too much). What color wallpaper/paint would you suggest? Sorry for the long post.

My sofa is shades of aqua and white. What color should I paint the walls?

I have a grey leather sofas and dark wood flooring. It is a long narrow room with windows at both ends. What is the best colour to paint my walls?

I have brown furniture, cream colored carpet, and black throw rugs. What color should I paint my walls?

What color or colors can I paint my living room? I need lots of ideas to choose from please.

I'm attaching the pics of the furniture I've bought for the living room. I need paint color advice for the walls.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes
Load More