Living Room Color Scheme Advice

Choosing the right color scheme for your living room may seem daunting. This is a guide about living room color scheme advice.

The curtains and throw pillows you select can help complete the color scheme for your room. Choosing a color that helps achieve the best effect can be a process of trial and error. This is a guide about curtain and throw pillow color advice.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Whether your living room is formal or casual, you want the curtains you choose to complement the room and its furnishings. This guide contains suggestions for living room curtain colors.

I am building a house and we have a light brown/tan coach and navy blue chair in living room. We are painting the walls a light tan color and have a darker brown carpet color. I am wanting to know what accent colors would look best with these colors?

Melissa from Indianapolis, IN

Answers

Yellow or gold

I'm an artist who does custom tiles & hand painted wall murals so I get to see many beautiful homes & I'm often asked to choose room colors for these clients.

When I went to Floral Design school people asked "What color is the accent to wood & Brown tones?" & the instructor said "The accent color to wood & any color of brown is Blue because you think of wood as "orange". You could use ANY color of Blue, be it grayish blue or Turquoise blue. But since you already have a Navy chair, make sure the blue you choose goes with Navy. Like a medium blue.

I disagree with the previous post. I don't think you need any more yellows or golds. You really want something that POPS & blue is on the opposite side of the color wheel, so it's the "accent" of brown & tan (remember brown is to be treated like it's orange).

One more way you can decorate your room is to use TWO accent colors. This is how I am doing my living/dining room area. I have Tan cupboards & blue wall to wall carpet & I wanted to use Sage & Olive green as my accent colors. So I bought a large throw rug that has ALL of these colors in it: Tan & Browns, Dark & Light Greens & Blue. So, I'm using THREE basic colors in my color scheme: TAN & browns, olive & sage GREENs & BLUE. This is a tri-colored scheme (3 colors that sit next to each other on the color wheel) & the best way to decorate with 3 colors (or any color scheme) is to buy a large throw rug or a large piece of art that has the colors you love in it (one of the colors should be brown or tan & one blue in your case) & the other color could be anything (Even red!). Just as long as it's in the rug or artwork. But Tan, Olive & Blue work great together.

If you want a more modern looking color scheme, that REALLY has pop, you could go with Navy, Gold & Red. These are basically "Primary" colors. You don't see all 3 of them together very often in living/dining rooms unless it's a very modern/upscale look, with super-modern furniture, but once in a while you do see these colors in a traditionally decorated room.

---> Before you choose your colors, I suggest you FIRST look for a throw rug or a fairly large picture (or set of prints) that you love & uses this as your starting point to choose your colors from. Pick something you LOVE as your inspiration for colors. If you choose something you love, you can never go wrong. Years ago, I found a set of old botanicals from the 1930's or 40's at a used book store then had them framed & matted. I then decorated the whole room around these botanicals. That room turned out fabulous, & I think it's because I loved those prints so much.

To repeat myself: Find something you LOVE to use as your color inspiration in the room & you can never go wrong. Just make sure 2 of the colors are brown/tan & Blue because you already have these colors. Remember, it's easier to match paint to a print, picture or rug, than it is to find a rug or print to match your paint, because you can always blend your paint colors to match.

My walls are painted to different shades of brown, I have many colors that I am using as accents but I'm keeping them muted, nothing bright or too flashy. Brown and Navy Blue are both considered to be base colors that any other color can go with...tan, black, white are also bases.

So if you want something a bit brighter like a melon or lime green you can do those instead but don't do too many of them mixed together. Have fun!

try coral or peach

I agree with Cyinda- I think a light blue, like a sky blue and a light green, like a celery green would be perfect accent colors for a cool, calming feel- after all, brown, blue, and green are such common colors in nature, they can never look wrong or grow tiresome to you.

By attila (Guest Post)

Yes, I'd say blue, a pale blue or medium greyish blue. I had a brown room which looked fabulous with pale blue. You could try putting a scarf or tshirt of the chosen colour in different places in the room to see how it looks.

By jann weitman (Guest Post)

Get some paint swatches or you can buy small amounts of a desired color to try. Maybe a tone of pink would look nice even with the blue chair. Or how about a dark chocolate brown in enamel? Jann

Accent colors are opposites, used in moderation. A terra cotta would look good.

If you want to blend more, for larger items bringing more color into the room, use another shade of blue or a celery/sage color.

By Jack (Guest Post)

My wife is trying to find the perfect color for our living room, we have a dark chocolate floral rug and dark brown/mahogany leather chairs and dark broze drapes and sofa, and tan walls above the chair rail below the chair rail we are looking for a color. We decorated in a formal Victorian look like the 1860's, what color should we use?

I have a spare room that is painted a very pale grey with a bright orange bed settee. I have carpet tiles that are mainly grey with a darker grey border and a bright orange tile in the middle. There is a white blind at the window. This is a dark room. What colour curtains/pictures/accessories should I use to brighten it and give it the wow factor. This room will be used as a 2nd TV room/guest bedroom.

I have a casual, contemporary living room with light grey walls and dark grey carpet. I have a burgundy sectional sofa. I would like advice on which colors would compliment this casual, contemporary living room for pillows, curtains, etc. Thanks.

By Debbie from Leonard, MI

Answers

Deep green or plum would look great. Add a few touches of taupe and silver.

Gold! My mother had some gold drapes in the 70's & they were so awesome!

A gold or creamy tan, depending on which tone works.

I think black would be lovely with those colors. Good luck!

I think a dark blue if you are conservative. If you are more splashy, go with purple.

We've just put up Dunelm's Highland check ochre lined eyelet curtains which have grey, mustard, and beige checks. What rug, suite and coloured walls would you suggest? Our room is about 12ft x 10ft with gold framed mirror and picture frames. Thanks.

I need some advice. My boyfriend and I are moving to a new city soon and we're moving in together. He has a blue microfiber couch and a brown microfiber side chair. The blue is a darker blue, but not navy and the brown is a coffee/espresso brown.

I need tips on how to decorate and what color palate to use. In my mind, I just don't see the two colors going together. Thanks.

By keja

Our living room lacks zip. It has an off white couch and dusty pink pillows. What contrast colors can I add? Sage green? If so, what else? I'd appreciate your ideas!

Janie from WA

Answers

By Mary (Guest Post)

Get rid of the pink pillows and get some new, bright fun colors to toss on the couch. There are all kinds of inexpensive throw pillows at a store in our area called Hobby Lobby, from bright solids to ethnic and animal prints. Choose a bright color in the pillow pattern and use that as an accent in paint color (shades lighter & darker) and accessories. Get rid of unnecessary nick nacks. They make a place look dated and tacky. Go for a streamlined look.

Any color would accent your off-white couch nicely. Add your own personal touch... you are doing it for you (and your family)! So...

What is your 'favorite' color?

By Jennifer,CA (Guest Post)

First pick a bold accent color. Paint your walls!

By Karen from Florida. (Guest Post)

I also have these colors. Sage green carpet, white couch, and dusty pink chairs. I have chosen burgandy accents, pillows and all the colors in flower arrangements. I also have burgandy and white drapes. I have received many compliments on these colors even thought I live in Florida.

I like to jazz up a room by buying a pretty bowl and put pebbles and a Betta fish to match your decor because there are alot of colors of these fish, then tie a pretty colored ribbon around the bowl. And then maybe use more of that same ribbon to sew onto a pretty pillow as well to tie it in./ Linda in Calif.

I need to find out what colour sofa and carpet would go with this striped wallpaper, hung horizontally. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

We have recently did the acid stain wash on our concrete floor and the color is reddish, our blinds are brown, and we have an olive color paint on our walls. The kitchen cabinets are brown along with our living room furniture. So what could I use to accent these colors.

I just purchased two new sofas for my living room, they are a medium grey. I have blinds that are a mauve pink. I don't want to replace the blinds or my entertainment center or desk that are in black. I have 1 wall that is used brick with fireplace insert. I have a low ceiling with 6 beams that are presently painted mauve pink. I have a sunken living room that has a wrought iron black rail around it. I'm replacing the carpet and painting.

Do you have any ideas for these? I can't seem to come up with any colors that I think will work. I am also replacing the drapes. I would like to refinish or paint the coffee tables. I'm including a picture of a new sofa and I bought 2 alike. I'm having a hard time deciding on carpet colors. The carpet will go in all rooms. Need ideas on paint also.

I have 1 solid mustard color wall and the other 3 are patterned mustard and beige color wallpaper. There is also a multi colored wall to wall plush carpet in earth tones of green tanish-gold and beige. What color should I choose for drapes and accent things? My furniture is chocolate brown

I have a mocha coloured leather sofa, a polished cast iron fire and a stained floorboarded floor in oak. The room is north east facing. Please suggest a colour scheme for the walls, extra armchairs, and accessories, rugs, curtains cushions.

Thank you.

Carol

Would black trim on window sills look good with rust colored blinds, lightly colored mustard walls, and a print valence with those colors?

My walls are cream, curtains beige, and the lounge suite is chocolate brown. I feel I need to brighten the room up a bit, but have no idea what to do.

Any ideas for me please?

I'm not very good at big decisions so I hope someone can help. We have just ordered a black corner sofa. I'm thinking of a mid brown two tone carpet, as I want to take it through the hall stairs and landing too. After looking at many samples I found the red floral wallpaper to go on the fireplace wall, rest of the walls will be painted. What do you think, will the paper be overpowering? Also what colour curtains? Any advice will be welcome, thank you in advance.

I have dark brown carpet in my lounge room. I am am purchasing a new lounge suite, what colours would look the best?

By Michael

What color scheme can I use for my living room? I am stuck. I have a mocha chesterfield/love seat and have a choice between an olive green chair, plum chair, or navy chair. I also need to know what color to paint the walls and a color for the curtains.

What colour lounge suite would go with the attached curtains?
Thanks

I painted my living room brown. It looks weird, but beautiful, I must say. What accessories can I use to make it beautiful and what colour can I combine on the wall with the brown.

Load More