Living Room Curtain Color Advice

Category Curtains
Whether your living room is formal or casual, you want the curtains you choose to complement the room and its furnishings. This guide contains suggestions for living room curtain colors.

I have sea foam green walls and I'm having a terrible time choosing a curtain color. I don't want something too dull or too flashy.

Answers

Best Answer

Sea foam green goes well with darker shade ocean green and darker browns like walnut and espresso. It also goes with the pink color called watermelon.

Best Answer

Your furniture is definitely on the dark side but it might be better if we knew if your window was narrow or a good size "picture" window as a larger window could be treated differently.

Have you thought about maybe very, very light green sheers in the center with a nice contrasting color (beige, lighter orange, etc) as outside panels? Maybe you could brighten up the rest with pillows and pictures?

I have just finished painting my living room, Just Walnut, and I have a mustard colour sofa and a brown sofa in the room. What colour of curtains should I get?
Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

With the description that you gave, a curtain with a pattern would look nice with some colors like teal, orange, beige.

I have dark reddish brown hardwood floors and dark beige walls in the living room. My couches are black, but we might change them soon. We wanted red curtains, but it made the room really dark. We prefer colored curtains rather than neutral. What shade would you recommend? Will lime green or yellow look good?

By Mona

Answers

I don't think lime green looks good anywhere. A light blue would compliment the tan walls and the redwood floors. I hope that helps.

I am not sure about lime green - but it sounds very pretty to me. If not lime green, I think a light shade of green is always perfect. I think of green as a neutral. Look at nature; green is the main color. Grass, trees, bushes - it supports every other color.

How about going with a red print. I have dark beige walls also with white woodwork. My sofa is beige and I have a red chair and ottoman. I purchased red print curtains with yellows, whites and greens in them from J.C. Penney. In the dining room I purchased just the valance to allow for more light. Hope this helps.

I think hopeful is on the right track. I was thinking pale leaf green, because then you can incorporate some other shades of green in the décor later. When I saw the photo, I thought southwest colors and other nature colors like tan, brown, subdued gold, etc.

I think picking a color curtain that matches or blends in with your wall color allows the eye to see a beautiful open airy look. I would also add a white and tan or white and brown leaf design sheer to go behind it. This way the light will come through the sheer leaf design adding light.

The side curtain panels will blend in with the walls and will look nice with your floors. It will also look great with your sheers. Bringing nature into the home is always soothing to everyone's spirit. In addition, the white and tan or white and brown leaf design coordinates with the wood floors. Adding accent colors such as a cream colored sofa with cream, tan pillows, yellow, or green sofa pillows would look very nice. Displaying green plants everywhere adds light and ties everything in. Using 3 colors such as brown, cream, tan and then adding pops of color in green and or even yellow is great.

My living room wall colour is light green and dark green (3 walls have light green and 1 wall has dark green). Please can anybody give me a suggestion for curtains colour.

By Kanchan from Jabalpur, India

Answers

Best Answer

Your windows look lovely as they are. But, if you want to cover them, lace would be pretty.

I want to refresh the look of my living room, so I started with the curtain and it is a light blue, light grey, and white. My floor is brown and the couch is grey. What colour should I choose for the walls and carpet? I think white and light brown for walls and simple grey carpet? Blue pillows for the couch?

Is the white lace curtain good for my formal dining room and living room? Most of the colors are taupe or ecru. I have got dark wood furniture and floor. Thank you.

My living room wall paint is green and orange. What colour can I use for the rug and curtains?

By Grace

Answers

Hi Grace, you have two options here. If you have green and orange on the wall, you can use either complimentary colors for the accessories (curtains) or you can use triad colors. These options are found using a basic color wheel, like the one below. To use complimentary colors you will select from the colors alongside green and orange. You will see this includes lighter shades of the green and orange already on the wall, or you can also select yellow, which is the color between green and orange. But what I recommend for you is to go with the triad approach. This method lets you break the wheel into 3 parts and each part is represented in the room. I recommend this approach because you already have two parts of the triangle represented in the room. The third color will be violet and I think that will really set things off nicely for you. Hope this helps!

I have a dark brown sofa set, very light gray walls, beige ceiling and ivory flooring. What is the best color curtain? Also, what color would be good for throw pillows?

By Celi from Philippines

Answers

Varying shades of blue. Throw in some pattern and solids and your room will pop. You can add a rug too, and it should work really well. I am including a link to brown and blue rooms. Hope that helps.

This is a pretty neutral pallet. You can go with just about any color you like. I agree that blue would look nice, but shades of green, or a floral print curtain and then pick up the color with solid cushions, say pinks and yellows. Really, you can go with just about anything.

Another way to go, if you have a lot of colorful accessories - paintings, photos, vases of flowers,mosaic topped tables, etc. you could go with a light airy beige or cream curtain, similar for the cushions, and let the accessories in the room provide the color punch.

I need help with curtain color for my living room. Our walls are a tan color, our tables are mahogany, couch, loveseat, and chair are chocolate brown and our carpet is a variety of colors, (brown, tan, ivory). My formal dining room is attached. We have accented the walls with 2 large gold framed pics of poppies. The curtains we placed there are gold to pull out the frame color. The table is mahogany as well.

By Kay J.

Answers

I would go with a brown colour or white.

You have such a neutral pallet with tan and brown, go for something really bright. What's your favorite...red, green, orange? I would use turquoise for a cool room or red for a warm room. Buy some toss pillows, candles, etc. in the same color and the whole room is coordinated. Sounds like a beautiful room. Have fun!

I have a black and beige sectional couch and I was wondering what colour curtains would look best with it. I just bought red ones and put them up, but I don't think they look that good. Thanks!

I need help choosing the right color. I love red and my kitchen is a deep barn red. It is open to my living room that has light tan walls. The furniture is dark chocolate brown leather and the tables are a deep mahogany. Accents in the room are red and brown. Currently I have deep red curtains on top of white blinds. It is too dark. Any ideas?

Answers

I'd look for a pattern that has a light, neutral background (similar to your wall color in that room) and a design in either red or dark brown. Something like a damask, perhaps. You'd still have color but not an overall, heavy color.

I want to purchase curtains for my living room, but am stuck on the color. My walls are off-white/beige, my rug is tan, the couch is gold on gold, and the 2 chairs which are in front of the windows are striped in shades of gold and an olive green. Any ideas?

I'm looking for some help to decide on a curtain colour for my front room as I'm not very good at matching things. I have magnolia walls, cream/beige carpet, and a red fabric couch. I have a big bay window and a smaller window and can't decide what colour curtains. I have been thinking of a deep olive green shade, but that's just a thought. Any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated:)

My living room is all neutral colors with high ceilings, my couch is a taupe color, my walls are a goldish tan color and my fireplace has a green marbling in it. My living room and dining room are open to one another and I need help figuring out what color curtains to add to my living room along each side of the fireplace. Attached is a picture of my living room and dining room. Any suggestions?

I am a little scared of bold colors so I have gotten stuck in a rut of neutral colors. I have medium brown carpet, a chocolate brown couch and love seat, and egg shell walls with an almost olive green trim. I have tan curtains now, but I am so over all the neutrals. Is there a color choice for curtains to start brightening up my life? Or do I just move and start over?

I would like to redecorate my living room. Can you please help me with what color of curtain should I should choose. And also some ornaments that I can put on the tables.

I have white walls and tan sofas. What color do you suggest for curtains? I was thinking of adding purple pillows and other purple (lavender) accent colors. Our entertainment area is also brown. Thank you!

By I S.

Answers

Why not keep it in the same colour "family?" Yellows or shades of orange? Even greens would go well with the earth tones yet brighten the room.

Good luck!

I'd do a nice vertical stripe of taupe and purple, with the taupe stripe narrower than the purple one.

Since you have a very neutral colour pallet so far, you might go with mauve/purple curtains, since that is a colour that you like. Or if you like a very clean background, use white curtains.

I'd like to change my living room curtains to gray. My kitchen, is gray and white and can be partially seen from LR. The attached photos are the 4 LR green walls. I may change wall color in future to an off white. All suggestions will be appreciated.

I have a red accent wall in my living room what color curtians should I get? My sofa is ivory.

My living room color is a cream color and at the TV it's dark maroon. What curtain color will match my living room?

By Jeelan from India

Answers

I would get white or cream to match the tv but most likely my curtains would match my sofa set. like mine is green and my curtains are white with green leaves.

I live in an apartment. Our wall in the living room is off white. There is a dark brown couch, dark brown center and side table and red area carpet. What color is best for my curtains? I only have 2 small windows. I tried to put on white silhoutte curtains, but my husband finds it boring. Thank you!

By Shopmom78

Answers

I would put up red curtains to accent the rug and chair in the room. You could use a double rod to keep the sheers and just use the red panels as an accent.

Personally, I like the curtains that you have. In my opinion, curtains should be a backdrop rather than an eyecatcher in a room. I would hang more art rather than change the drapes.

My living room is white and I have a black leather couch. I would like to know what color of curtains should I use to give the room a luxury look? I also have a black and white coffee table.

By Reginald O.

Answers

Think about your tastes. What colors do you like; are bright colors or neutrals more your style? A rich red might go well with the black and white. Maybe you would like champagne hues for a softer look? When you pick out a few colors, think about how the curtains will look with the floor as well. You want to go for a unifying effect.

I would go with white, or with a black and white bold print. I think it would be important to pick a silky, luxurious fabric as well. Rooms that are done in black and white look quite sophisticated.

I have medium blue carpet and light powder blue walls. The entertainment center and curio cabinets are walnut brown. I want to buy a red leather sofa and loveseat. Will they go with the blue and if so what color curtains should I get?

By Lisa

Answers

I'd say yes, red and blue, because the are complimentary colors ie they are opposites. But saying that it would depend on the type of blue and reds you use. ie american flag colors would not look great together. A bluish red would go best with blue decor, and a paler blue would go best with a robust red. Stay away from the primary colors, unless you want that fun young feel. For curtains I'd do red on the darker side. BTW I've got the same palette in my lving room blue and red. Good luck :)

Blue and red are both primary colors, not complimentary, as the former poster stated. Orange is the compliment of blue, and compliments enhance the color of each other. I certainly wouldn't put a red sofa in a blue room, but people have different tastes. You might consider a rust or brown, as these are more neutral.

I am searching for the best color of curtains for a living room/dining room combo. The walls are tan color on the top - with a chair rail - and then brown on the bottom. The floor is a medium tone hardwood. The furniture is a tan microsuede.

By Shari S

Answers

All manor of blues go with all manor of browns. You can go from there and really make your room pop. I hope that helps.

Since your rooms are neutral with walls and furniture, I would either go with an orange print for curtains with some orange pillows on your couch and some dishes or a vase in orange. If this is too bold for your taste, how about a nice powder blue -enjoy decorating!

Recently moved into apartment where the walls are white and the carpet is sort of a light gray/blue color. I got furniture as hand me downs so there is a dark brown leather sofa, and a light greenish/gray recliner, brown side tables and a lighter brown TV stand. There is only one window, but can't seem to find a good color. I want to make the room seem "warm and inviting", but not dark. I am hoping for suggestions on curtains and also whether to leave them hanging straight down or tie back?
And any certain stores for the curtains suggested.
Thanks :)

By Stephanie

Answers

Why not try long pooling drapes in a crisp deep colour? A bright aqua or orange will grab attention and you can find cheap accessories to match or complement.

Anything in the warm color family will work and make the room warm and comfy. Red, orange, peach. Don't forget toss pillows since everything is solid color some nice prints would work well. Try TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Target, K-Mart. Try the curtains straight down and try tying them back with string. If you like them tied back, then buy tiebacks.

I have a very dark living room. My furniture is dark too. Should or can I go with white curtains for more light? I have a lot of red, green, brown, and off white walls.

I am having trouble picking out curtains for my livingroom, my walls are a "urban putty " by Sherwin-Williams which is a light neutral color, and my sectional is taupe with chocolate brown pillows and brown, beige, gray, and slate blue mix pillows. I need something to make this room pop, I tried almost everything from JCPenney and either they match the walls or the sectional. Also the carpet is in the same color family, I didn't realize that when I was buying my sectional. Could you please give me a few options?

Our living room is decorated in a coastal theme using aqua and coral colored accents. The walls are dark beige, the furniture is khaki colored, and the floors are wood with an aqua area rug. What color should I do the patio door sheer panels? I was thinking coral or white?

I'm moving into a home where I cannot paint yet, the walls are white and I really want to fab up the living room! I have brown couches and black tables so far. I like the dark safari/Asian look, however since I cannot paint yet, I was thinking about maybe adding a light turquoise for curtains and pillow accents. Help is needed I'm terrible at this! Oh and the floor is light brown wood.

My living room has a very neutral color scheme - beige walls, dark brown trim, beige carpet, and oil rubbed bronze fixtures, fan, lights, and curtain rod. I'm struggling with figuring out what style of drapes to hang. I would really like to have two patterned panels in the middle and two solid panels on the outside, it is a very wide window, and I would also like to incorporate color to liven the space up and get away from such a neutral palette. However, I'm having trouble figuring out how to turn that idea into a coherent look. It's also worth mentioning that the couches I have picked out are somewhat of a "greige" color. Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

*The first photo attached is my sad attempt at choosing drapes. Please only pay attention to the left side. I was experimenting with how four patterned panels would look vs. two patterned panels inside and two solid panels outside. Anyways, this is the type of pattern that I'm drawn towards.

*The second photo attached is a color similar to what the walls and the carpet are.

By Kaitlyn from KS

I have cream color walls with a lot of oak wood accents, chair rail, crown molding, wood strips in the corners. The rug is beige. I have black furniture and cherry wood tables. There is also a multicolor fireplace in earth tones. What color drapes would go with all of this? Thanks.

By Rhonda from MO

Answers

Not having a picture to go by, I can only imagine, but I would say that any earth tone would probably work just fine. Brown or tan or beige (matching the walls is always okay), or if you want more color or contrast, go with some muted green (a sage or greyish green might be great) or even a burgundy (echoing the cherry tone of your existing furniture). You could pick up paint chips and match one of the colors in the fireplace, that would also work well.

If you want to be particularly bold, you could go with black, as you have black furniture, and black seems to go with pretty much anything. I hope this helps.

I have goldish tan living room walls, an off white couch and a navy blue chair. I am looking for some grommett type curtains to go with this, but am having a hard time. Once I get the curtains then I will be able to get 3 accent pillows to pull the couch, chair and curtains together. I think I may want a print, but not a bold print, because everything else is in solids. Please help me.

By Linda

Answers

Sounds nice. How about something with all 3 colors in a pattern that doesn't clash with other patterns in room?

I have safari tan walls (creamy gold), mocha wood floors (almost a red color), white trim, and dark chocolate color black leather sofa (almost looks like black). I am thinking of burgundy accent fabric chairs to go with it (as I already have them). Do dark brown and burgundy go together? Initially I had a brown sectional, as it's not functional, I separated the two pieces and am planning to replace it with the burgundy fabric chairs that I already have. Please see the pictures that are attached. I want a light look with this heavy warm colors and furniture. Please suggest to me the accent color for pillows, drapes, and a rug. Thanks.

By Shireesha

Answers

I'm no decorator, so I can't give you a proper answer. Your tan (creamy gold) walls are a bit dark. They might look more appropriate if there were articles about the room in the same color family, only lighter and brighter, more near a true gold.

Also, I think the white of that nice fireplace should be carried out further into the room. Have you considered a white, patterned area rug under that table, or maybe one near the color of the tile around the fireplace? At the very least, I would donate the sea foam throw pillow and replace it with one of gold damask or white with gold tassels.

Another thought... maybe less on the mantle and a wall hanging in a gold leaf frame on either side of the fireplace. (Do play up the fireplace. It's the best thing this room has going for it).

Load More