Curtain Color Advice

Category Curtains
Choosing just the right color curtains can complete the overall color scheme of your room. This guide contains curtain color advice.

Choosing the right color for your kitchen curtains can help brighten it up and complete your room's color scheme. This is a guide about kitchen curtain color advice.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

When installing new curtains in a room with burgundy carpet, it is important to match the color well. to tie the room together. This is a guide about curtain color for burgundy carpet.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Whether your living room is formal or casual, you want the curtains you choose to complement the room and its furnishings. This guide contains suggestions for living room curtain colors.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Selecting curtains for a room with a multicolored wall can be confusing. You may want something that complements or coordinates with the several colors already featured, but not a color or pattern that clashes. Here are some suggestions to consider for making this decorating choice.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

No one wants to have a curtain color choice disaster. It can be hard to envision what color curtains will work best with your furnishings and paint color. This is a guide about dining room curtain color advice.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Choosing curtains to complement your room's wall paint and furnishings is sometimes difficult. When buying black out curtains this task may prove even more of a challenge as there are fewer choices.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Neutral colored furniture can be difficult to find coordinating curtains for, depending on whether you want them to match or pop. This is a guide about curtain color advice to coordinate with a beige couch.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Beige walls allow for a wide variety of curtain color choices that will complement it. This is a guide about curtain color advice to complement beige walls.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Choosing a complementary or even contrasting color for your bedroom curtains can help achieve the overall color scheme you are seeking. This is a guide about bedroom curtain color advice.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Can you please suggest the color for the curtains and anything else that I can do to brighten the room?

I have tan walls, brown furniture and one blue accent wall. What color should I use for curtains? I'm thinking white because it is safe and goes with everything. Any other ideas?

By Amanda B.

Answers

Best Answer

A deeper or brighter blue might work. What color is the wall where the window is located? I would suggest keeping the curtains in the same color family as the wall, and using white for accents repeated throughout the room - pillows, large pictures, vases, throw rugs, lamps, etc. General rule is not more than three colors, but you can play with the intensity of the color - bright, shiny brown, bright blue, pale blue.

I have a beige carpet with white walls and there is a beige and black border along the vaulted ceiling. My furniture is black leather. I have a large picture window with 4 crank out windows. I'm looking to add a pop of color to the room, but I am not very good at going outside of the box. I tend to stick to neutral colors for fear of things not matching. Any suggestions on a curtain color would be appreciated.

Is it OK to put "cool white" curtains on windows with off white trim? My gut is telling me there is an unwritten rule about this. Help!

By Laurie

Answers

Best Answer

Yes. It is called "white on white." Add another shade or shades of white and you have a beautiful room!

My husband and I just bought our home and we have a gray sofa-sectional, but are debating on the colors for our curtains. Eventually, we want to stain our floors darker and paint our walls a very light gray (almost white). We want to have 2 levels of curtains. I think we should have a sky/light blue curtain with white sheer curtain in the back, but my husband wants a medium to dark gray curtain with the white sheer curtain in the back. I don't know if there's a term for the sheer white curtains or not. I was also thinking of white curtains. Our living room is really small. A lot smaller than it looks in the picture. Please help. Thank you!

Answers

The smaller the room, the lighter you want what's in it to be or it will look even smaller. I'd go with a curtain similar to the color on the walls, so they blend in.

I think Janet is right. The lines in your room are rather 'graphic'. Makes me wonder if something a little bold, yet 'neutral' might work. I found a picture of a while curtain with silver thread online. I don't know how readily available these curtains are, but do take a look.

http://i00.i.al  ad-for-Event.jpg

Congratulations on your new home. I agree with both suggestions. Here's another idea. When looking at the second photo I see art work on the wall behind the tv. How about buying some toss pillows that are multicolored, the same as the art work. Have your white sheers and choose a color from the pillows/artwork for a valance on a beautiful rod. If you want a change for the seasons, it is easy enough to simply change pillows and the valance. Both can be purchased inexpensively. JCP is where I bought my valance. Also, you might want vertical blinds that open in one direction on your sliding glass door and a pretty valance over it. You may find a sheer curtain gets dirty quickly on a slider where you can wipe the blinds clean. I love your room. Grey is such a wonderful color.

Personally, I'd go with white or off-white curtains. I have had sheer nubbed material sheer drapes for years, and I love them. There are mini-blinds behind the drapes to darken the room if needed. In my previous house I had white room darkening drapes with white sheers for privacy. I do not like a valance in a living room as I think it makes a room look smaller. You might also use drapes the same shade or very slightly darker than your paint colour. Both choices will make the room look bigger. If you go for a bolder design or a much darker colour, it will make the room look smaller.

I have oatmeal colored walls with medium tan colored cloth furniture. In between the windows is a stone fireplace. I have tried khaki drapes and it looked horrible, now dark brown looks worse. Please help me with any ideas.

I am doing up my daughter's bedroom with pink and cream sequined wallpaper from Lipsy with a pink, cream, and grey bed duvet. What colour curtains would match best?

I have light yellow walls with a red accent wall. The hallway wall is pumpkin orange you can also see that wall when in living room. Our furniture is chocolate brown. What color curtains should I put up?

By NW from Scranton, PA

Answers

Best Answer

A vertical stripe with all the colors mentioned combined with either cream or white would work with it all.

I have a grey and black couch and I need advice on what colour curtains I can use and what colour paint can I paint the wall.

Can you please suggest a curtain color for a pink wall?

Answers

Tough color to work with.

I would go with white or beige, or you might go with a pale pink. If this is a living room, I`d stick with white or beige.

You may choose to go with something more colorful.

I like the patterned as long as it has a tint, tone, or shade of the pink. I am not sure about the black rod though. Have you any metal in the room as brass or copper or such. You might extend the rod beyond the width of the doors as the pink is rather overwhelming.

Sheilah

I had reservations about the black rod, too....And of course, you're right. Here is your burnished brass rod finished in a color to match the draperies. Two heads are better than one. Thank you.

What color curtains go good with a dark brown wood floor and dark brown furniture? I also have white trim around the windows and doorways and light beige walls.

I need advice on choosing colours for roman blinds on a large window and two smaller windows on either side of a bed. I am also looking at changing curtains. I like earthy, natural, neutral tones, but am trying to give my house colour. I was thinking maybe teal for the smaller windows and a sandy colour for the main window? Would you also look at putting a venetian blind instead of a roman blind on the large window?

I have a light brown couch with black patches on the arms and am having difficulty choosing the right curtain for my living room.

We have a brown couch, turquoise and gold rug, and medium toned hardwood floors in our living room. What color curtains would look best? It's a big window (almost 8ft wide).

What colour curtains go with a grey sofa, red rug, and a red accent wall?

I have a new house with Sherwood paint keratin on all walls. The living room and dining room are like a L shape. There is one big window in front, with 3 windows close together. Should I keep all curtain colors the same? I want to hang curtains and blinds. Can you please give me so ideas?

I have a black bed set, and a brown, beige, and orange color area rug. What color curtain do I go for? The wall of the room is white, the side chair is black, orange, white, and beige in color.

My husband and I just bought a house. I'm not much of a decorator and so something as simple as picking out curtains freaks me out. The living room walls are a pale yellow, we took up the carpet to show the hardwood flooring, and all the trim throughout the house is white. We have no furniture in there as of yet but my husband wants curtains for our bay window asap.

If anyone has any suggestions for curtain colors I would appreciate it. :) Also, our kitchen is very small and connected to the living room - it is a really pretty blue color, cabinets will be painted white very soon. We have three small kitchen windows and I want to get black and white window valances. Should the black and white valances tie in with my bay window curtains in the living room?

Melinda from Wenonah, NJ

Answers

If you can't see the kitchen windows from the living room, I wouldn't worry about them. The living room you describe sounds light and airy. I would try keep the curtains the same (maybe use white sheers with blinds behind them for privacy, if needed). You could bring in some of the blue and black from the kitchen in your accessories--throw pillows, vases, etc.

I agree. White curtains -- sheers with blinds is what I have -- and I love them.

Thanks for the advice! Yes, you can see the kitchen curtains from the living room. There is a small wall dividing some of the kitchen, but the wall is only so its almost like the living room and kitchen are connected. :) Still haven't gotten the curtains yet, lol. I'm getting there. :)

I'm thinking burgundy or Paprika. Use some black and white and medium green for accents. Mary Engelbreit has some color combinations like this. Why not look in some of her books for inspiration.

If you plan to use draperies, I would go with white draperies and yellow sheers. I'm not a decorator, so you will probably get better advice. Everybody likes my home decor which I always do myself. My floors are also wood (oak). My walls are very light beige, dark brown leather furniture. Throw pillows, etc. are turquoise, brown, green -- all tropical decor. I live in FL.

What color valance curtains would go good with black, grey, and maroon curtains?

I have dark brown sofa set with light color hardwood. And have two windows in the family room. What color curtains and pillows should I have?
Thanks.

My wife and I can't seem to figure out much together when it comes to home decor. Any advice on curtain colors for a family room and dining room? See attached pics.

Note: the family room is attached to our kitchen which has light beige paint and valences with red and khaki. The dining room has gold paint, brown furniture, plus curtains and a chandelier that need to be replaced. Thank you very much for any help :)

What color/style curtains should I go with? My walls are Sherwin Williams Sea Salt and the sofa is Wasbi green with a Taraz Lagoon accent chair, and Taraz Lagoon pillows from Rooms to Go. Should I go with green or bring out the navy from the pillows and chair?

I have brown couches, tan carpet, and white walls. What color should I go with for curtains? Also, I have lots of black frames and a black entertainment center. Help!

By Ambr L from Colorado Springs, CO

Answers

Two shades of blue would complement nicely with the brown and tan.

You could use just about any color your choose under these circumstances.

A curtain with design that includes these three colors and a brighter accent color as the main color in the curtain. Then add a few pillows of the bright color in the curtains.

This is a very neutral pallet. You could use just about anything with those colors. Pick a print or pattern that is in a color you like - blue, pink, green, golds - whatever, and that incorporates the tans that you have, and use the colors for drapes, or on throw pillows, and use solid drapes in the accent color.

Another way to go, if you like to have lots of artwork on your walls (not just one or two pictures, but lots -I have twelve paintings in my living room), is to use another neutral on the drapes, and then just showcase your artwork and knick knacks for the color. I have white sheer drapes.

I moved into a studio apartment with Mexican floor tiles. The tile pattern has some with a dark blue and sunny yellow design. I have a grey comforter (neutral). The studio is small and I need curtains, but I can not decide what to do for them. I can't decide between grey and yellow, solid blue, solid yellow, or orange for the Mexican tile. A few ideas will help, thank you.

By Colleen

Answers

I am assumng the studio apt. is not very large. I would go with the solid yellow, keeping it as light as possible.

Perhaps a pinstripe in all the colors but yellow and have a light yellow or white background. Look for flat bed sheets in the right size to fit your windows to save some money. If you wanted to block the light, have u considered serapes.

I would add to the other answers, match the walls to make the apartment look larger. I liked the idea of using sheets - been there, done that. The fewer colors, the the larger the apartment will look. Hope this helps.

Go bold to complete your look. Bright golden yellow or orange. Or depending on the size of the windows you could put a sheer one in the middle-white or yellow & orange on each side & tie back with silk braided rope or fringed braided rope. This will brighten it up! Good luck & have fun.

In my living room, I have an aqua and tan walls. I want to get curtains, but I'm having a hard time figuring out a color that works against both the aqua and tan. I have 2 windows with only a small space between them. What is the best way to put curtains over them? 3 panels or only 2 panels on the outsides? Also, the other curtain needs to cover the sliding glass door. What is the best way to hang that to keep it symmetrical, but also keeping it functional to open away from the door opening?

I have a mobile home. I am redecorating the living and dining room. I am going to use the same curtain on the dining room and living room windows. I have mauve colored carpet and white walls with a little green and purple in the wall board. My sofa is beige. What color curtains would be best, sage and white or taupe and cream? I have attached a photo of the curtains and the color options.

I have a brown sectional with egg shell color walls and a brown carpet.

I have white walls, a green sofa set, and a cream chaise lounge. I've had green curtains before, also brown, what other colours can you suggest?

We have dark red chestnut hardwood floors/woodwork and light green walls. What colour curtains should I go with?

I am making a new curtain for our bathroom window. The walls are white, the window and grids are white, and the window trim is stained walnut. We have blue and light green towels and the shower curtain is shades of blue and blue/green in thin subtle stripes. I had a white tie-up curtain, but that was just too much white in the bathroom. I tried one that was supposed to be taupe, but it's too dark and blocks the light. So now I am going to make my own. I think it should probably coordinate with the shower curtain.

The curtain only needs to cover the top half of the window since the bottom half is frosted and I'd like it to allow as much light through as possible which is why I went with a white curtain originally. It's also high enough off of the ground that no one would see in so I just need the allusion of privacy. So what type of fabric, color, pattern/solid would you recommend?

Load More