Curtain Color Advice

Category Curtains
Choosing just the right color curtains can complete the overall color scheme of your room. This guide contains curtain color advice.

I have tan walls, brown furniture and one blue accent wall. What color should I use for curtains? I'm thinking white because it is safe and goes with everything. Any other ideas?

By Amanda B.

Answers

Best Answer

A deeper or brighter blue might work. What color is the wall where the window is located? I would suggest keeping the curtains in the same color family as the wall, and using white for accents repeated throughout the room - pillows, large pictures, vases, throw rugs, lamps, etc. General rule is not more than three colors, but you can play with the intensity of the color - bright, shiny brown, bright blue, pale blue.

My husband and I just bought a house. I'm not much of a decorator and so something as simple as picking out curtains freaks me out. The living room walls are a pale yellow, we took up the carpet to show the hardwood flooring, and all the trim throughout the house is white. We have no furniture in there as of yet but my husband wants curtains for our bay window asap.

If anyone has any suggestions for curtain colors I would appreciate it. :) Also, our kitchen is very small and connected to the living room - it is a really pretty blue color, cabinets will be painted white very soon. We have three small kitchen windows and I want to get black and white window valances. Should the black and white valances tie in with my bay window curtains in the living room?

Melinda from Wenonah, NJ

Answers

If you can't see the kitchen windows from the living room, I wouldn't worry about them. The living room you describe sounds light and airy. I would try keep the curtains the same (maybe use white sheers with blinds behind them for privacy, if needed). You could bring in some of the blue and black from the kitchen in your accessories--throw pillows, vases, etc.

I agree. White curtains -- sheers with blinds is what I have -- and I love them.

By Melinda (Guest Post)

Thanks for the advice! Yes, you can see the kitchen curtains from the living room. There is a small wall dividing some of the kitchen, but the wall is only so its almost like the living room and kitchen are connected.

:) Still haven't gotten the curtains yet, lol. I'm getting there. :)

I'm thinking burgundy or Paprika. Use some black and white and medium green for accents. Mary Engelbreit has some color combinations like this. Why not look in some of her books for inspiration.

If you plan to use draperies, I would go with white draperies and yellow sheers. I'm not a decorator, so you will probably get better advice. Everybody likes my home decor which I always do myself. My floors are also wood (oak). My walls are very light beige, dark brown leather furniture. Throw pillows, etc. are turquoise, brown, green -- all tropical decor. I live in FL.

In my living room, I have an aqua and tan walls. I want to get curtains, but I'm having a hard time figuring out a color that works against both the aqua and tan. I have 2 windows with only a small space between them. What is the best way to put curtains over them? 3 panels or only 2 panels on the outsides? Also, the other curtain needs to cover the sliding glass door. What is the best way to hang that to keep it symmetrical, but also keeping it functional to open away from the door opening?

Answers

I would have one big curtain or blind that covers both windows. Maybe you could get a print with both aqua and tan in it?

I would get 3 sets in a dark brown all of them the same length based on the height of your slider. (84" or 95") I personally prefers 95"height because it makes the ceiling look higher and the room and windows larger then what they are.

If possible make all your hardware the same and mount all your hardware at the same height across the walls on the beige and touqoise wall. Add dark brown&turqoise pillows to the couch.

Thank you. I actually need the 108" length curtains. The top of the slider and windows is 96". I was wondering if dark brown would look okay with the grey couch.

Load More