Curtain Color Advice

My husband and I just bought a house. I'm not much of a decorator and so something as simple as picking out curtains freaks me out. The living room walls are a pale yellow, we took up the carpet to show the hardwood flooring, and all the trim throughout the house is white. We have no furniture in there as of yet but my husband wants curtains for our bay window asap.

If anyone has any suggestions for curtain colors I would appreciate it. :) Also, our kitchen is very small and connected to the living room - it is a really pretty blue color, cabinets will be painted white very soon. We have three small kitchen windows and I want to get black and white window valances. Should the black and white valances tie in with my bay window curtains in the living room?

Melinda from Wenonah, NJ

If you can't see the kitchen windows from the living room, I wouldn't worry about them. The living room you describe sounds light and airy. I would try keep the curtains the same (maybe use white sheers with blinds behind them for privacy, if needed). You could bring in some of the blue and black from the kitchen in your accessories--throw pillows, vases, etc.

I agree. White curtains -- sheers with blinds is what I have -- and I love them.

By Melinda (Guest Post)

Thanks for the advice! Yes, you can see the kitchen curtains from the living room. There is a small wall dividing some of the kitchen, but the wall is only so its almost like the living room and kitchen are connected.

:) Still haven't gotten the curtains yet, lol. I'm getting there. :)

I'm thinking burgundy or Paprika. Use some black and white and medium green for accents. Mary Engelbreit has some color combinations like this. Why not look in some of her books for inspiration.

If you plan to use draperies, I would go with white draperies and yellow sheers. I'm not a decorator, so you will probably get better advice. Everybody likes my home decor which I always do myself. My floors are also wood (oak). My walls are very light beige, dark brown leather furniture. Throw pillows, etc. are turquoise, brown, green -- all tropical decor. I live in FL.