Window Treatment Advice

Window treatments are an integral part of decorating a room. They also are chosen functionally based on the exposure and size of the windows. This is a guide about window treatment advice.

Choosing just the right color curtains can complete the overall color scheme of your room. This guide contains curtain color advice.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 3

I saw an interesting window treatment the other day. A computer shop had used CDs to cover a window; overlapping two layers, to create a sort of round pane effect.

Find an attractive and convenient way to block light and view through your sliding glass doors. This is a guide about window treatment for sliding doors.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Finding just the right window coverings for you french doors will help to create the look you are trying to achieve on these rather formal doors. This is a guide about window coverings for french doors.

When installing new curtains in a room with burgundy carpet, it is important to match the color well. to tie the room together. This is a guide about curtain color for burgundy carpet.

Choosing a complementary or even contrasting color for your bedroom curtains can help achieve the overall color scheme you are seeking. This is a guide about bedroom curtain color advice.

This is a guide about making a curtain for an arched window. Making a curtain for an arched window is not as difficult as it may seem.

This is a guide about kitchen window treatment color advice. Choosing window treatment colors for your kitchen can be done to coordinate or contrast with the existing color scheme.

This guide contains easy window treatments. Whether it's for privacy or shade, there are many ways to cover your windows.

This guide is about frugal window curtains. Purchasing drapes, window curtains, or coverings can be expensive.

Any window treatment ideas for sliding doors besides the usual vertical blinds? I have a sliding door in my living room and in my bedroom that both go out to a terrace. Thanks for any ideas.

By Georgianna from Queens, NY

Answers

Best Answer

I've heard that shower curtains (nice fabric kind) will fit a sliding glass door. You should be able to hang a tubular curtain rod above the doors to hang the shower curtain from.

Best Answer

Lace makes everything look nicer. If you windows look out into someone else's balcony or a scene that isn't too pretty, this will help. If it's privacy you want, go to a local fabric store and you will no doubt find 5' rolls of clear and special effects plastic. You can find plastic that lets in all the light but is so prism'ed that you can't see through it. You can also get some through specialty catalogs like Miles Kimble that look like stained glass. Good Luck!

Best Answer

When we took our vertical blinds down, I had wanted to put up a curtain. I wanted a curtain that would block light in addition to looking nice. I was tired of the vertical blind look.

Curtains made for patio doors started at about $130.00 and went way up from there, if I could find them at all.

I found light-blocking curtains at Wal-Mart for around $20 each. I had to buy three of them and hem them up so they wouldn't drag the floor, but the final cost was around $60 and you could even sew them together to make one big panel if you wanted to, but I haven't done that. I'm still debating on doing that. When I can find a traverse curtain rod the right length and on sale, I want one of those too to put the curtains on so when I close them, I won't have to adjust them every time so they look even all the way across.

Anonymous
Best Answer

There are also window cling treatments in rolls with various designs that are applied with soap, water and a squeege to the glass and you then cut the excess edging with a razor blade or exacto knife. I've used them before and they give privacy but still let the sunlight in. I've even used them in a bedroom because even at night it's not too bright for sleeping from the light of the street lights.

But then again I am a night light lover so that might not work for you in your beroom if you like it dark ;-) As long as you don't scratch them roughly they look good and last forever. If you ever do want to remove them, it's easy.

You can get them at any store like Lowes or Home Depot.

I need help in figuring out window treatments for my formal living area windows. I need privacy and want to dress it up at the same time. There are two French doors and two windows.

Laks

Answers

By Paula Jo Carr Mebane, NC (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I suggest using plain waxed paper in a 50ft roll that you find with the tin foil, plastic wrap etc. in the grocery store . It can not be seen through but the light still comes in through it.

I have used/done that very thing on our front door and kitchen windows. Waxed paper is very easy to cut to size and then tape in place PLUS a person can not see through it from either direction (the inside or the outside).

Very cheap and cost effective - keeps the direct sun light out so the room stays cooler saving on the electric bill and stops the fading of carpets or furniture from the sun shining in on it every day.

I need help decorating my small living room. I have two colors on my wall. The top portion is cream and the bottom half is sage green. My furniture is black leather and my floors are dark frown hardwood. Please give my suggestions on what color to use for window treatments as well as accessories. Thanks for any help.

Tammy from North Carolina

Answers

By ljm529 (Guest Post)

I personally would go with the sage green for window treatments, or a pattern with the green and brown and cream in it. Just take those three colors and use them for accessories, maybe adding a little black here and there

By carla bledsoe (Guest Post)

the picture in my mind is wood blinds that match the color of the floor with a fabric covered valance at the top. a nice pattern picking up on the colors of the wood blind and either the furniture or the wall colors. chances are slim you could find something with all the colors but if you could and it had any other small accent colors you could get pillows or rugs to match that accent color for splash.

By (Guest Post)

You need a patterned fabric to go with all the solid colors you have. Try to find something that has all those colors in it..it will look like you used all the colors on purpose. Gold would be a good color then for throw pillows and scatter rugs.

I'd go with something in the maroons in a silky fabric.

We have a two story split foyer Colonial house. Would it look odd from the street if I have plantation shutters in two windows on the front of my house in the living room, and curtains on two windows in another room that's also located on the front of the house? The upstairs front windows would have curtains as well.

By carla from Greensboro, NC

Answers

No, I don't think it would look odd to do as you wish on your windows on your home, so try it. If you don't like it change it. Windows are like we dress now days, everything goes, good luck.

Thanks so much for your feedback!

I have to agree. I think it would look fine to do it differently.

I have blinds on my window. Would you put a sheer scarf valance or drapes?

Can I have wood blinds on 3 windows in the same room with white pleated sheers on a sliding glass patio door? The blinds are definitely wood so they are brown. If not, then the sheers will go because I love the functionally of the blinds. That being the case I don't know what to put on that sliding glass door. Also I don't intend to put curtains over the blinds in order to tie to two together. Thanks

By weinerdog41 from Ft. Worth, TX

I live in a 1st floor apartment with windows an 3 sides of my living room. I would like to be able to sit on my couch at night watching TV or reading and still be able to glance out the window, but not have people walking by on the street able to see in. I also would like to be able to leave the bedroom blind open at night and not feel people are "peeping". What type of product do I need to be able to see out, but will keep people from seeing in? Something that is removable and leaves no stickiness, preferably.

By gayle from Rochester, NY

Answers

I recently read a magazine article in an outdated Woodworking magazine about film that is sold now for windows. The films come in different patterns or plain. Some have a detail at the bottom. The one they showed had a duck for a bathroom. But the plastic window film described in the article gave the look of frosted glass, but it could be removed at a later date. I think that makes it perfect for a rental property.

I thought they looked rather classy. I believe the article said they were sold at stores like Lowes or Home Depot, but I'd be sure to check online, too.

Good luck

I have this bay window in my living room/computer room and I would like to put up some other type of window treatment other than curtains, what do you all suggest that would be a good change.
I appreciate anything you all can share with me.

Teresa from Va.

Answers

I find that vertical blinds work very well. Check the ads in the weekend paper - they are fairly inexpensive and there are a variety of styles to choose from. They do a great job of insulating too.I have had them for five years and never had a problem. Hope this helps.

Go to "Hunter Douglas window treatment "or search for "Window Treatment for a Bay Window", lots of info & pictures there, good luck.

We just bought a new house and I am not much of a decorator. I need some help on what's best to put on these windows, in the kitchen and the living area. We will get a brown living room set and a brown dining room set as shown. Thank you.

What do you suggest I install on my sliding glass door other than the old vertical blinds. The sliding glass door and surrounding glass is 144 inches wide (wider than average). We are constantly going in and out that door to the sun room. Sun/heat and privacy are not an issue. Also, in the same room are 3 fairly large windows for which I'm leaning toward faux blinds. So whatever is on the sliding glass door has to coordinate with those 3 windows.

The previous owner installed pleated drapes with pleated sheers underneath on the door as well as the windows. I've taken down the drapes; I don't mind the sheers, but hate the look of the pleats. I could put a cornice board to cover the pleats, but then I'd need another cornice board above the 3 windows. I think that's probably more than I'd want to spend. Any recommendations?

By weinerdog41 from Ft. Worth, TX

I am in need of instructions for making a sunburst window treatment to fit into an arched window top. I know it's gathered around the half circle of the arch and in the bottom center the excess fabric is gathered into a rosette.

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nelwyn from Bunkie, LA