Window Treatment for Sliding Doors

Category Doors
Find an attractive and convenient way to block light and view through your sliding glass doors. This is a guide about window treatment for sliding doors.

Any window treatment ideas for sliding doors besides the usual vertical blinds? I have a sliding door in my living room and in my bedroom that both go out to a terrace. Thanks for any ideas.

By Georgianna from Queens, NY

Answers

Best Answer

I've heard that shower curtains (nice fabric kind) will fit a sliding glass door. You should be able to hang a tubular curtain rod above the doors to hang the shower curtain from.

Best Answer

Lace makes everything look nicer. If you windows look out into someone else's balcony or a scene that isn't too pretty, this will help. If it's privacy you want, go to a local fabric store and you will no doubt find 5' rolls of clear and special effects plastic.

You can find plastic that lets in all the light but is so prism'ed that you can't see through it. You can also get some through specialty catalogs like Miles Kimble that look like stained glass. Good Luck!

Best Answer

When we took our vertical blinds down, I had wanted to put up a curtain. I wanted a curtain that would block light in addition to looking nice. I was tired of the vertical blind look.

Curtains made for patio doors started at about $130.00 and went way up from there, if I could find them at all.

I found light-blocking curtains at Wal-Mart for around $20 each. I had to buy three of them and hem them up so they wouldn't drag the floor, but the final cost was around $60 and you could even sew them together to make one big panel if you wanted to, but I haven't done that. I'm still debating on doing that. When I can find a traverse curtain rod the right length and on sale, I want one of those too to put the curtains on so when I close them, I won't have to adjust them every time so they look even all the way across.

Anonymous
Best Answer

There are also window cling treatments in rolls with various designs that are applied with soap, water and a squeege to the glass and you then cut the excess edging with a razor blade or exacto knife. I've used them before and they give privacy but still let the sunlight in. I've even used them in a bedroom because even at night it's not too bright for sleeping from the light of the street lights.

But then again I am a night light lover so that might not work for you in your beroom if you like it dark ;-) As long as you don't scratch them roughly they look good and last forever. If you ever do want to remove them, it's easy.

You can get them at any store like Lowes or Home Depot.