Cover Sliding Glass Doors to Keep Your Home Cool

Category Weatherizing
Windows and large sliding glass doors allow the heat from outside to warm up the interior of your home. You will be amazed that how much cooler it will be inside if you cover the glass. There are products made for this purpose or you can improvise and use black plastic trash bags. This is a guide about cover sliding doors to keep your home cool.

Keep your house cooler by putting trash bags on sliding doors when it is hot and sunny outside. My sliding door lets a huge amount of sun and heat in in the morning. I use those large black yard waste trash bags to block the sun and heat. Painters tape will hold the bag. I only need two pieces at the top. When the area is shady I just take the bag down and fold it up to reuse. I stick the painters tape to the sides of the door frame and reuse it also. I am sure it would work the same if you get evening sunlight. Standing outside on a sunny day, you can't even tell it is there.

By ann from Saint Peters, MO

Top Comment

They make reflective plastic that is just for patio doors. It is not expensive and reflects all heat. It looks like a mirror from the outside but you can see out from the inside. Much better than garbage bags.

Top Comment

Great Idea, but, at Walmart in the camping area, is a light weight blanket that is made of some type of NASA material. It is like the size of a deck of cards, costs about $2.00. and I put it on windows and you can hold your hand up to it and it keeps the inside cool. You can also see through it, so, it stays in place and don't have to guess on what's on the other side of that door.

I saw this idea on another thrift site about a year ago, so decided to check it out. Plus, at the end of summer, you can take it down, carefully, and fold it up and reuse at least 1 year, I think more, just have not tried yet! I also put up those $1 windshield coolers, with the aluminum on, in rooms that are not used and smaller windows. They all work at keeping it cooler inside.

Top Comment

We had a house in FL with a very large family room, thus very large windows & patio doors. I bought Window Tint at Home Depot by the roll. It's like what they tint car windows with. It was easier than I thought. You use soapy water & then a blow dryer. It made a huge difference.

Anonymous

Wow, you must have some really intense direct sun that the indoor sliding door window treatments don't keep the heat from the sun out :-o Good tip for those who need to take extra measures! :-)