Water Frozen in Icemaker

I have a Whirlpool side by side. The icemaker every once in awhile would stop working and then start back up hours or a day later as if nothing was wrong. Recently it stopped working and acted as if no water was coming in to the machine.

After tinkering with it a bit water started coming in and filled the tray. Now the cubes are frozen in the tray, but they will not dispense from the tray. I have tried tinkering with it again, but nothing happens they just stay frozen in the tray and not producing additional ice. This has been several days. Any ideas? Yes, the arm is down to make ice. Any help would be appreciated.

By Chris from MD

If it filled and didn't dump the ice out. It is more than likely the motor. It has stopped in the middle of the cycle and is not starting again. Sounds as though the ice maker is going to have to be replaced. New ice makers usually run somewhere between 119.00 to 169.00 and it is just a couple of screws and unplugging the wiring harness and plugging in the new one.

Your heater may be out on the ice maker.

July 12, 2010 Flag

My Whirlpool ice maker in the fridge filled with hot water and froze. Now it will not make ice.

By Elaine1 from Lorton, VA

Water Frozen in Icemaker

Have you tried taking everything out of the refrigerator turning it off and allowing it to thaw then turn it back on? I have never had this problem, but I would try it before I gave up. Also, if you can take your lines loose make sure no debris got into the lines. (08/12/2009)

By grannygirl

Water Frozen in Icemaker

Yep, been there, done that. Pull as much out of the freezer near the ice maker and take a hair dryer to it. Turn it on high and melt the whole area, till there is no ice left. Put in some towels to catch the drips, but it doesn't take too long to do this. Make sure you get the water tube the water runs through, if this isn't done, it will just ice up again. (08/12/2009)

By c t

Home and Garden Repair Appliances Ice MachinesJuly 12, 2010
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Frozen Juice Containers on White Background
Reusing Frozen Juice Containers
Icemaker Overfills the Ice Bin