AdviceDogs

Dog Behavioral Problems After Giving Birth

My 3 year old Maltese gave birth to 3 pups on 3/21. She is obsessively "nesting" on the carpet, bed, and under the bed. She tries to hide under bed and couch. She wakes me up to bring me a pup, then takes it away. She will take the pups out of the box and put them next to me in bed. The vet said Cali is a "momma's girl" and wants us all to be together.

One night I put the box with the pups and Cali on my bed to go to sleep, thinking Cali would also be close to me. She picks up the pups and lays them down by me and then Cali goes to sleep but I can't go back to sleep. She has never gone under the bed, but now she goes under, starts nesting feverishly and then comes out, or she wants to take a pup somewhere.

She's taking excellent care of the pups, but I'm worried about her. Sometimes she just walks around the house which she's never done. She's nesting more now than when she was pregnant. I'm driving myself crazy trying to think of what's wrong with her. I can't let this continue or let her take a pup somewhere. Please help me.

By Joyce from Cape Coral, FL

Answers

Anonymous

Be patient because the pups are only nine weeks old and she might do this a week to three more. I think it's sweet that she is such a good mama and loves you so much too! Please just go about your routine as usual, let her go through the routine she needs to and don't stress so much about it!